Worst car to win a grand prix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
flattyre

Re: Worst car to win a grand prix

Obviously he didn't win, but I remember reading that Jos Verstappen was genuinely on course to win the 2003 US Grand Prix for Minardi before he binned it.

I've hardly heard anything about it since, so whether or not it was true or not, remains to be seen...

edit: Or was it the 2003 Brazillian GP? I can't remember!

Pierce89

Gridlock wrote:I don't think Alonso can count, as it was a race run to different regulations than the rest of the season. Good drive though.

This should be a fairly easy stat for someone: which race-winning constructor scored the worst rest-of-season? That would be the worst car to ever win a race, objectively speaking.
mid season rule changes or "clarifications" are perfectly in line with the tradition of modern F1, so discounting Alonso's 2011 Silverstone is not valid IMHO. The DDD was illegal till the FIA saw an oppurtunity.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

raymondu999

The win is of course legible for consideration. But I don't think the 2011 Ferrari was bad at all in that race - easily 2nd and possibly 1st in terms of race pace - nowhere near the "dogship" of the 96 Ligier or 2003 Jordan :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gridlock

Pierce89 wrote:discounting Alonso's 2011 Silverstone is not valid IMHO. The DDD was illegal till the FIA saw an oppurtunity.
What I meant was its not very possible to judge how good the Silverstone-spec Ferrari was vs the rest of the field, as you only have one race to use as a baseline. But I take the point about it being within the F1 style of things.

Pierce89

Gridlock wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:discounting Alonso's 2011 Silverstone is not valid IMHO. The DDD was illegal till the FIA saw an oppurtunity.
What I meant was its not very possible to judge how good the Silverstone-spec Ferrari was vs the rest of the field, as you only have one race to use as a baseline. But I take the point about it being within the F1 style of things.
Ahh now I understand, and a very valid point you make, now that I'm on the same page
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

marcush.

I´d think Brambillas win in a rained out 1975 Austria is a possible contender .If i´m correct the car was really a clapped out old chassis as Vittorio really crashed a lot those days and March had difficulty to provide cars as quickly as needed...neeedless to say Brambilla crashed the car crossing the line...

Donuts

Hmm... Kimi Raikkonen, Scuderia Ferrari, Spa Francorchamps, 2009! Would not have been posible without KERS(and the rivals lack of it). What a dog of a car, just look at where Badoer started and finished... maybe not a good comparison. Let's look at the season instead, started in AUS P15 and ended in ABU P12. Between EUR and SIN the car was at it's peak in performance.
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

waynes

Alonso Singapore 08

yes i know it was a staged win

Roland Ehnström

Alboreto, Tyrrell 011, Detroit 1983.

ESPImperium

What about another controvercial one, Schumacher in Austria when he won the race by a tenth over Rubens? That was F2002 chassis 219. That chassis never won again, and was only raced twice in Austria and Monaco.

manchild

Ferrari F2005 @ the infamous US GP 2005, the only win for Ferrari in the whole season, because Michelin teams boycotted that single race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F2005

Websta

Although not a race, the 2005 US Grand Prix winning Ferrari deserves more mention than Alonso's win in Silverstone last season.

Lorenzo_Bandini

Donuts wrote:Hmm... Kimi Raikkonen, Scuderia Ferrari, Spa Francorchamps, 2009! Would not have been posible without KERS(and the rivals lack of it). What a dog of a car, just look at where Badoer started and finished... maybe not a good comparison. Let's look at the season instead, started in AUS P15 and ended in ABU P12. Between EUR and SIN the car was at it's peak in performance.

This car wasn't a dog. Watch Massa's race instead of Raikkonen race before Hungary...

Miguel

The thing is, I can remember wacky races, won by the 3rd or even 4th best car that year (eg Japan and Singapore 2008, Hungary 2006). But are those cars really crappy? The Renault was pretty competitive at the end of 2008, after the Spa upgrade, and the 2006 Honda actually looked like a contender at the beginning of the season, while Button's end of season was superb. In 99, mac, ferrari, jordansand perhaps williams were faster than the Stewart, but Rubens still got 3 podiums that year. Gilles' wins in 1981 could qualify, though. Just for laughs, my contribution is...

1988 Italian GP. The only non-McLaren win that year.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Paul

Tough to beat Jordan-2003. I mean, the car caught fire before it ran the race distance.