2012 Testing - Barcelona 2: 1 - 4 March

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
snoop1050

Re: Third Test – Barcelona, 1 - 4 March

myurr wrote: It looks like Ferrari gets its tighter side pod by shifting more of it forward. Where McLaren has a nice undercut at the front and gentle curve round the entire front and side the Ferrari looks much squarer at the front.

Mercedes and Lotus look good in this area as well although visually they lack the detail and sophistication of the McLaren and Red Bull.
how much air really hits the front bottom of the side pod?
looking at the bargbe boards i cant imagine anything worthile does

CHT
CHT

myurr wrote:Looking at those pics it actually looks like Ferrari have the tightest side pods, thus exposing the most amount of floor ahead of the rear tyres. Red Bull and McLaren look broadly the same in this regard but with McLaren having a bit of a bump further back where the Red Bull gets really tight.

It looks like Ferrari gets its tighter side pod by shifting more of it forward. Where McLaren has a nice undercut at the front and gentle curve round the entire front and side the Ferrari looks much squarer at the front.

Mercedes and Lotus look good in this area as well although visually they lack the detail and sophistication of the McLaren and Red Bull.
Ferrari is managed to free up the floor area at the expense of having an overhang exhaust at the side pod. Sure they will suffer a higher CG at a result.

CHT
CHT

kimi just did a 1.22.030, quickest lap so far at Barcelona during these 2 weeks

myurr

snoop1050 wrote:
myurr wrote: It looks like Ferrari gets its tighter side pod by shifting more of it forward. Where McLaren has a nice undercut at the front and gentle curve round the entire front and side the Ferrari looks much squarer at the front.

how much air really hits the front bottom of the side pod?
looking at the bargbe boards i cant imagine anything worthile does
How about all the air above the t-tray and under the nose? There will be a LOT of air hitting the front of the side pods.

snoop1050

CHT wrote:kimi just did a 1.22.030, quickest lap so far at Barcelona during these 2 weeks
looks like with fumes though other teams havent been much slower when they have done 5-7laps

raymondu999

myurr wrote:Looking at those pics it actually looks like Ferrari have the tightest side pods, thus exposing the most amount of floor ahead of the rear tyres. Red Bull and McLaren look broadly the same in this regard but with McLaren having a bit of a bump further back where the Red Bull gets really tight.
A side view could change the story though. I remember that from such an angle; the F150 looked better packaged than the RB7 - but the "ceiling" of the sidepod didn't slope down nearly as early.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FrukostScones

third gearbox change for Red Bull during winter testing (sauce: automotorundsport.de)
and remember it was just a new car with all new parts they introduced yesterday...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

snoop1050

A side view could change the story though. I remember that from such an angle; the F150 looked better packaged than the RB7 - but the "ceiling" of the sidepod didn't slope down nearly as early.

dont pay much attention to wheel base i doubt its accurate and the angles are slightly different on some of them but the sidepod shape and height should be a good comparrison
(cant garuntee they are the newest shots either i grabbed them off google images so the cars might look slightly different now but its not like the sidepods overall bulge could really have changed)

i remember the overhead of the ferrari made the sidepods look much bigger because of how far back the top section goes, i cant be bothered to grab compare images for it though

snoop1050

okay i did a really crappy overhead shots of the rear but you get the idea

i couldnt find an overhead of the cmlaren quickly so :P
Looking at those pics it actually looks like Ferrari have the tightest side pods, thus exposing the most amount of floor ahead of the rear tyres
doesnt look like they will get much air coming over the top of the sidepod and channeled downwards towards the diffuser/beam wing though.

like the rest of the teams

FrukostScones

1.Top cars:
Red Bull
Mercedes
McLaren
Sauber
2. Good cars
Ferrari
Lotus
3. Medium cars
Findia
Toro Rosso
Williams
Caterham
Bad (No) cars
HRT
Marussia
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

NathanOlder

I think id say 5 groups like this.

1. Red Bull, Mclaren.

2. Mercedes, Lotus.

3. Ferrari, Sauber, Force India.

4. Toro Rosso, Williams, Caterham.

5. HRT, Marussia.

But by the time we hit Europe, Ferrari will be in group 2.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Red Bull having more problems today. updates not looking very reliable so far.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

beelsebob

My bet for the order

McLaren (more on hope than logic)
RedBull
- Small Gap -
Mercedes
Lotus
- Small Gap -
Force India
Ferrari
Sauber
Toro Rosso
Caterham
Williams
HRT
Marussia

NathanOlder

beelsebob wrote:My bet for the order

McLaren (more on hope than logic)
RedBull
- Small Gap -
Mercedes
Lotus
- Small Gap -
Force India
Ferrari
Sauber
Toro Rosso
Caterham
Williams
HRT
Marussia

Pretty much same as mine, i too am hoping for Mclaren on top :D
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Ferraripilot

I hear the Benz is looking very nice out there today.