2012 Testing - Barcelona 2: 1 - 4 March

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Maynard G. Krebs

Re: Third Test – Barcelona, 1 - 4 March

JayeOFarrell wrote:I still wonder however weather Ferrari are sand banging, but making a really large show of it in typical Ferrari style. Don't know weather you would agree with me or not but I just think it should not be ruled out. :)
Give me one good reason why any team would be sandbagging. The only reason I can think of is if they have illegal parts and don't want to draw attention to it.

Ferrari sandbagging? They had the 2nd fastest time today.

PlatinumZealot

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:@ Beelsebob

Yes I too saw that, made mention of that in my earlier post. Around a 2 second drop off after 5 laps and 3-4 seconds after 10+ laps.
Seems to be uniform wear amongst McLaren, Lotus and Mercedes. So, perhaps Mercedes shouldnt be singled out on this. I think they definitely ran these heavier fuel runs with the softer tyre than most other teams, probably why the "problem" looks greater than it really is.

@Nsmikle
What did your analysis bring up that changed your mind?
I think it is the same functionally as the mclaren and Sauber. Just looks a bit different.

@abudalia F1, I share the same sentiments.. I feel Macca is in front! :D I agree with this too @abudalia
If our predictions come true, expect a political shitstorm of epic proportions.
Some heads will roll at Ferrari if it's not up to speed by Euro's.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 05 Mar 2012, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Pierce89

FrukostScones wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Keep writing Ferrari off. It will only make it more satisfying for me
Exactly.
cry me a river, Ferrari killed the manual on their street cars so let them burn in hell 8)

...half an hour to go and Vettel still in the garage.... mmm
You can get gearbox you want in Ferrari if you pay them enough. For the right money, they'll do anything you ask them to do to a Ferrari as long as you sign a waver that you know it's no longer a standard car and therefor can't be expected to meet any regs or be warrantied.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Gridlock

Limbo.... No more testing, season not started. Couple of filming days to provide slim pickings.

*plays 'The Chain'*

AbulafiaF1

n smikle wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:@ Beelsebob

Yes I too saw that, made mention of that in my earlier post. Around a 2 second drop off after 5 laps and 3-4 seconds after 10+ laps.
Seems to be uniform wear amongst McLaren, Lotus and Mercedes. So, perhaps Mercedes shouldnt be singled out on this. I think they definitely ran these heavier fuel runs with the softer tyre than most other teams, probably why the "problem" looks greater than it really is.

@Nsmikle
What did your analysis bring up that changed your mind?
I think it is the same functionally as the mclaren and Sauber. Just looks a bit different.

@abudalia F1, I share the same sentiments.. I feel Macca is in front! :D I agree with this too @abudalia
If our predictions come true, expect a political shitstorm of epic proportions.
Some heads will roll at Ferrari if it's not up to speed by Euro's.
Glad you agree mate... :wink: :wink:

Hail22

I feel this years concorde agreement may be destabilizing to the sport, Macca and Ferrari along with Mercedes and Lotus will push the FIA and FOM to make the RRA controlled by an independant accounting firm in order to curb what has been seen as the "Red Bull Affect"

Where they see a concept and will spend every single dollar from their purse in order to gain a "substantial" benefit.

Ferrari, Mercedes and Macca maybe Red Bull will ask for the ban on in season testing to be lifted?

New commercial agreement to which teams will ask for a higher % from race weekend fees due to media saturation.

This year will be the year for political unrest/change in Formula 1 due to such a massive contract coming to the table around October/November.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlnBl9JB344[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

CHT
CHT

Hail, is Ferrari still playing games?
Struggling Ferrari not expecting early podiums in 2012

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97841

CHT
CHT

beelsebob wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Lets just wait til Melbourne, Ferrari seem very "weird" before the season opener almost trying to give a false sense of security to RBR and Macca.

Also it could be struggling so much that maybe its time Stefano and Fry disappear with a few people and a fresh new technical group is created?
Sorry, but I don't buy it. The trackside guys were saying that the Ferrari looked really hard to drive, but that Alonso was doing the business in it. A quick car that's throwing everyone else will look easy to drive but never put in the lap time. A slow car that's got a great driver in it will look like a dog but still seem to just about keep up on the time sheet. The ferrari does the latter.
+1

Chuckjr

Is there real risk that the Ferrari, Red Bull, and/or Macca exhausts are illegal or is there no question they are indeed legal? I'm meaning the configurations used last test day--Sunday March 4.
Watching F1 since 1986.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

There is no question of their legality. Dimensionally they are within the parameters set by the FIA.

They are still trying to use the gasses to blow the diffuser or floor though. There is not much getting around it.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Schurcedes

That's the second time this week someone's used the exact words as me and seemingly read my mind. Great minds..
Schurcedes, from this thread wrote:Either Ferrari have something remarkable up their sleeve and are doing their best to shield their drivers from giving the game away (which I severely doubt) or there is a political shitstorm of epic proportions brewing behind the scenes.
AbulafiaF1 wrote:If our predictions come true, expect a political shitstorm of epic proportions.
Good summary of testing form, I agree with most of the conclusions.

Schumacher had initially said they needed to work on the degradation after day 1, only to deny it was an issue after yesterday; I believe Mercedes PR speak kicked in following Schumacher's remarks and all three were suddenly upbeat and positive about their chances. (something similar happened the last couple of years, Schumacher and Brawn were initially quite realistic) With that in mind I think they might indeed have a wear rate problem, though perhaps not a very serious one compared to the leaders as all cars seemed to suffer from severe dropoffs.

CHT
CHT

Schurcedes wrote:
That's the second time this week someone's used the exact words as me and seemingly read my mind. Great minds..
Schurcedes, from this thread wrote:Either Ferrari have something remarkable up their sleeve and are doing their best to shield their drivers from giving the game away (which I severely doubt) or there is a political shitstorm of epic proportions brewing behind the scenes.
AbulafiaF1 wrote:If our predictions come true, expect a political shitstorm of epic proportions.
Good summary of testing form, I agree with most of the conclusions.

Schumacher had initially said they needed to work on the degradation after day 1, only to deny it was an issue after yesterday; I believe Mercedes PR speak kicked in following Schumacher's remarks and all three were suddenly upbeat and positive about their chances. (something similar happened the last couple of years, Schumacher and Brawn were initially quite realistic) With that in mind I think they might indeed have a wear rate problem, though perhaps not a very serious one compared to the leaders as all cars seemed to suffer from severe dropoffs.
if Merc were sandbagging with fuel during the long run, then the slight higher wear rate should not be a big concern for them.

raymondu999

You never know though - degradation might not be a linear thing. Eg; they might see horrendous deg in high fuel; but have amazing tyre preservation in low fuel; or vice versa.

It's also quite relative - in isolation no car has "good" tyre preservation/degradation rates - they're "good" only if they're "better" than what the competition has
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE5qXUPAMMA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lnIwAjUGcA[/youtube]

Note: The Horner video was taken on Day 3; not Day 4
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

Ray, thanks for the video. do you have any interview of kimi or lotus?