2012 Testing - Barcelona 2: 1 - 4 March

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Third Test – Barcelona, 1 - 4 March

Well if you understand Finnish there is :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub-Fq9XoMus[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

AbulafiaF1

Schurcedes wrote:
That's the second time this week someone's used the exact words as me and seemingly read my mind. Great minds..
Schurcedes, from this thread wrote:Either Ferrari have something remarkable up their sleeve and are doing their best to shield their drivers from giving the game away (which I severely doubt) or there is a political shitstorm of epic proportions brewing behind the scenes.
AbulafiaF1 wrote:If our predictions come true, expect a political shitstorm of epic proportions.
Good summary of testing form, I agree with most of the conclusions.

Schumacher had initially said they needed to work on the degradation after day 1, only to deny it was an issue after yesterday; I believe Mercedes PR speak kicked in following Schumacher's remarks and all three were suddenly upbeat and positive about their chances. (something similar happened the last couple of years, Schumacher and Brawn were initially quite realistic) With that in mind I think they might indeed have a wear rate problem, though perhaps not a very serious one compared to the leaders as all cars seemed to suffer from severe dropoffs.
...yeah, great minds... ;)

snoop1050

rosberg seemed to be doing alot of work on setup for tyre wear on his last day so maybe it wasnt an issue after day 3?

rbr25

Grid especulation

1. Red Bull, Mclaren.

2. Mercedes, Lotus.

3.Sauber,Williams,Ferrari, Force India.

4. Toro Rosso, Caterham.

5. HRT, Marussia.

retpog55

CHT wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Lets just wait til Melbourne, Ferrari seem very "weird" before the season opener almost trying to give a false sense of security to RBR and Macca.

Also it could be struggling so much that maybe its time Stefano and Fry disappear with a few people and a fresh new technical group is created?
Sorry, but I don't buy it. The trackside guys were saying that the Ferrari looked really hard to drive, but that Alonso was doing the business in it. A quick car that's throwing everyone else will look easy to drive but never put in the lap time. A slow car that's got a great driver in it will look like a dog but still seem to just about keep up on the time sheet. The ferrari does the latter.
+1
I buy into this theory aswell. The most "confident" looking, cruising cars out there appear to be the Mclaren and the Mercedes, others like the Sauber, Lotus, Williams of the last test look to be going for it. The Red Bull was in the same category as the Mclaren and the Mercedes, in fact it looked a step ahead, but after the new update it is impossible to say if it has pulled an increased lead, stayed the same, or fell behind. By the looks of the reliability on Friday you would have to say it has fell behind. Is it me or did the upgraded RB8 appear to be worse than the original RB8? #-o

My pecking order after testing would be:-

Mclaren,
Red Bull, Mercedes
Lotus
Ferrari, Sauber, Force India, Torro Rosso
Williams, Caterham
HRT, Marussia

I feel that it is entirely possible for someone like Sauber, Ferrari or Lotus to be on pole for Australia after going all out for the number one spot, only to see them fall away dramatically during the race.

dren

I think we are looking at almost an identical start to the season as last year, but Mercedes and Ferrari switched spots. Mclaren and Red Bull will be closer. Then a few tenths back will be Mercedes. Then several more Ferrari. Lotus will have a solid car that will be in the mix with Alonso. Then the very close midfield. Caterham will be a few tenths behind them. Then you have HRT and Marussia bringing up the ass cheeks.
Honda!

dren

retpog55 wrote:I buy into this theory aswell. The most "confident" looking, cruising cars out there appear to be the Mclaren and the Mercedes, others like the Sauber, Lotus, Williams of the last test look to be going for it. The Red Bull was in the same category as the Mclaren and the Mercedes, in fact it looked a step ahead, but after the new update it is impossible to say if it has pulled an increased lead, stayed the same, or fell behind. By the looks of the reliability on Friday you would have to say it has fell behind. Is it me or did the upgraded RB8 appear to be worse than the original RB8? #-o

My pecking order after testing would be:-

Mclaren,
Red Bull, Mercedes
Lotus
Ferrari, Sauber, Force India, Torro Rosso
Williams, Caterham
HRT, Marussia

I feel that it is entirely possible for someone like Sauber, Ferrari or Lotus to be on pole for Australia after going all out for the number one spot, only to see them fall away dramatically during the race.
I mainly agree with everything but the pole part. Pole will come from a Mclaren or Red Bull. Rosberg may have an outside shot. I don't see anyone else being anywhere close.
Honda!

retpog55

You're probably right in all fairness, i didnt really think that one through. The point i was trying to make was that a car like a Sauber in the hands of say Kobayashi could well qualify higher than the more sensible cars i.e Schumacher around it who dont focus purely on grid position. After the race i expect Mclaren, Red bull, Mercedes with the latter needing a slip up from the first two. Pure spec of course. We all wrote Mclaren off last year after testing who went a different route with their sidepods to the other teams and the same seems to be happening this year with Ferrari only for Mclaren to show up right on it from the word go. We will just have to wait and see.....

Ganxxta

Last clip with Massa supports the theory that Ferrari isn't sandbagging, look how the car is nervous and drifting and he has to correct it several times...

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr

Ganxxta wrote:Last clip with Massa supports the theory that Ferrari isn't sandbagging, look how the car is nervous and drifting and he has to correct it several times...
Yeah, in comparison to the Red Bull and McLaren that looked absolutely planted in the previous clip.

The Lotus was harder to read as it wasn't at full speed (or was fat with fuel and cautious through the corner).