2012 Testing - Barcelona 2: 1 - 4 March

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Third Test – Barcelona, 1 - 4 March

There's a user on F1T called intelligentF1 who has an interesting pace simulation model and he has some interesting analysis on stints done by the teams.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gui59

Interesting analyse here from an ex Ferrari:
http://www.blogf1.it/2012/03/06/focus-m ... invernali/

ecapox

Gui59 wrote:Interesting analyse here from an ex Ferrari:
Oh, this is quite interesting!

scarlet

Gui59 wrote:Interesting analyse here from an ex Ferrari:
For those of us with no understanding of Italian, how did he arrive at his conclusions for the team's fuelloads?

ecapox

he used to work for Ferrari and he was the person that montezemolo called during the race and tests to see what was going on. His experience in reading times and watching testing along with the inside knowledge of how Ferrari used to work helps him make some conclusions in that article based join what he has seen in this years testing. His job pretty much for many years was to interpret others testing days as well as ferraris.

I'd say he is relatively accurate in his explanations.

CHT
CHT

Surprise that Lotus is ahead of Mclaren. Is there some magic in the renault engine?

> La Red Bull è ancora avanti;
> La Lotus è la seconda forza;
> La Mc Laren è la terza forza;
> Ferrari – Mercedes – Williams sono la quarta forza;
> Force India- Sauber – Toro Rosso sono la quinta forza;
> Infine c’e’ la Caterham;

Chuckjr

That is an incredible article. Like a few have surmised here, Ferrari are not as bad as they have been made out to be.

Just use google translate if you don't read Italian. It's a superb write up. Very logical/matter of fact based.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Schurcedes

I'm not sure where he has ranked Ferrari better than what most think, if anything it only confirms the general feeling that they are not very good. In any case, ranking one team better than expected does not automatically make it a logical and matter of fact analysis.

I have read all three articles and they have all followed similar methods and a similar technique. They all seem to suggest Mercedes is not the best when it comes to degradation. Relative ranking behind the Red Bull - Mclaren tier is the most interesting part, though I still personally believe the order will not change massively from what it was at the start of 2011.

prince

I still didn't understood, on what basis, he has calculated fuel loads. If you are following Mercedes, you would know that they are the only team to be pushing the tyres extremely hard at the beginning of every stint to understand the wear rate. So, obviously the degradation is very high and then if you read, post testing comments from Brawn and Haug, they don't think they have a degradation problem. :-)

Nico set fastest lap time on a stint of 15 laps. This is atleast one indication that they have been testing with heavy fuel, whereas all other teams did their best times on 1-5 laps.

Well, only Melbourne Q3 will give a real picture.

raymondu999

prince wrote:Nico set fastest lap time on a stint of 15 laps. This is atleast one indication that they have been testing with heavy fuel, whereas all other teams did their best times on 1-5 laps.
I seem to remember McLarens and Red Bulls often setting fast times on the end of stints; and at the start of such 15-20 lap stints
Well, only Melbourne Q3 will give a real picture.
Still an incomplete one mind you - race pace isn't necessarily going to be the same as quali pace.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@Ray

I'm not privy to the facts(I have just woken up and cant be asked to sift through the data).
But Rosbergs 1:22.9 was set at the start of a 13 lap stint. I dont think Rede Bull or McLaren did fast times on long stints. Prefering 5 to7 laps to set their quick times.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

I don't remember much about the configuration of stints either - but to be honest that still says jack. They could've been doing that stint on race-start fuel; or on just enough fuel for the stint.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Webber, always straight talking, mentioned that eyebrows where raised when Rosberg set the time then did 12 more laps.
I dont believe it means nothing.
David Purley

raymondu999

I get what you're saying - but raising eyebrows still means nothing. It just means that reality didn't match his expectations. It could be most people expected Merc to still be a clear 4th - and when they showed they were at least 3rd, that raised eyebrows.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I dont think a Red Bull driver far out in front will have raised eyebrows at that.
It means something, which is why the eyborws were raised in the first place :D
Lets not speculate further on this.
David Purley