2012 Barcelona Testing Laptimes Spreadsheet

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
razzatheking

2012 Barcelona Testing Laptimes Spreadsheet

Apologies if this data is available somewhere else, but I couldn't find a spreadsheet showing the all the lap times from testing rather than just the fastest laps.

I only started collecting the data on Friday lunchtime so it's only partial data from Friday, but should have all the laps noted from Saturday and Sunday.

Let me know if this is available somewhere else (maybe in a better format). I've put it all up on a Google spreadsheet. http://goo.gl/Em5Zr

Giblet

Re: Barcelona Testing Laptimes Spreadsheet

I don't understand these times at all. How does every driver have sets of 3-5 laps all down the 1/1000th of a second?

I don't math very well, so I am likely not getting something basic.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

godlameroso

Anyone notice how metronomic Alonso puts down laps? In the afternoon he put down five laps that were exactly the same, and the lap before that was only one hundredth of a second off the proceeding five. You don't get consistent laps like that if A.) the car is twitchy and unpredictable B.) you're pushing the pace and the tires. We saw how the Mercedes tires start going off during their stints, in a predictable albeit non-linear fashion. Perhaps their tires go off relative to the competition because they're pushing where others are not. Ferrari just needs to come to terms with the new suspension(which I believe they'll have sorted by Melbourne), they have a good aero package. We will see at least three different teams win a race this year.
Saishū kōnā

Giblet

Look at everyone's laps, not just Fred. Even if you are trying your hardest, you can not make laps down the 1000th of a second. Every driver on that spreadsheet has blocks of laps at the exact same pace. Not possible.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

razzatheking

I should probably explain some of the idiosyncrasies of the spreadsheet. If the driver didn't set a time then the time remains empty, as for the first few laps of most driver's times, or is designated as the same as their previous lap.

I don't know what would stop the driver setting a time, but I would guess they would go through the pits, rather than over the start/finish line.

This explains why there are groups of laps with exactly the same time. I guess they go out, come back through the pits, the car is checked for whatever reason, and they go out again.

The format is minute:second.millisecond @ hour:minute with the time after the @ being the time of day the lap was set which makes it easy to see groups of times. This allows you to see if the driver did a long run, or a short run.

As mentioned earlier you can see the drop off in times, presumably due to tyres. If anyone has seen this information elsewhere please do say as I know it's not in the best format, but it was put together very quickly as when I decided to do it the test day had already started so I wanted to capture the lap information as quickly as possible.
Last edited by razzatheking on 05 Mar 2012, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

Giblet

Oh I get it, the first lap of a block of exactly the same laps represents a single lap, and the other identical laps are just place holders to keep everything aligned?

Why not just leave those blank?

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to understand it. Nice work and thanks for compiling it.

razzatheking

This was all automated, and on the feed I used there was no indication (other than the time being identical) that the driver hadn't set a time. I edited my post above, but not quickly enough for you! This was all put together on a whim, and the test day had already started so I didn't have much time to design it very well.

Giblet

OK that makes sense. Again, thanks!