Murmurings About European GP/Valencia

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

European GP 2012

European Grand Prix in Valencia is in serious doubt and could be cancelled this year because of lack of payment by the local government. This has been going on for some time and has finally worn out the patience of Bernie Ecclestone. I hear he is looking for a replacement event. If the French can get their act together, now is an opportunity not to be missed.

Joe Saward

Hope it is true and Magny Cours is back.

Giblet

Re: European GP 2012

If the race happens in France, it will more than likely be at Paul Ricard than Magny Cours.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

FW17

Giblet wrote:If the race happens in France, it will more than likely be at Paul Ricard than Magny Cours.
Reasons it wont happen at Paul Ricard

1) Owned by BE

2) Absolutely no spectator infrastructure

beelsebob

WilliamsF1 wrote:
European Grand Prix in Valencia is in serious doubt and could be cancelled this year because of lack of payment by the local government. This has been going on for some time and has finally worn out the patience of Bernie Ecclestone. I hear he is looking for a replacement event. If the French can get their act together, now is an opportunity not to be missed.

Joe Saward

Hope it is true and Magny Cours is back.
My bet is that it would end up alternating between spa and some french track... and belgium would be dropped and replaced with russia... This would suck, but it sounds likely to me.

ESPImperium

Murmurings About European GP/Valencia

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/03/06/whispers/

I know people dont really like Joe, but if he is hearing things about the cancelation of the European GP. Hope is right as i hate that track, its a bland power point and squirt track.

Bring Back Magney Cours, At least you could overtake there in more than one area.

I have my doubts about Ricard, however as its arround the time of the year that Canada is on callender, infact its the race directly before Valencia, why not go to Watkins the week after canada and then have a 3 week break and the teams can then go testing for 3 days somewhere?

That would kill 2 birds with 1 stone, more exposure in the USA and have a test back home at the same time.

Or test at Watkins or Barber Motorsports Park the week after the Canadian GP and then go racing 2 weeks later in France with the traditional French-GB-German triple header in the middle of the callender.

mx_tifoso

Re: Murmurings About European GP/Valencia

I don't mean to be rude, but is this going to be a realistic and serious discussion about Valencia or more wishing that is nearly impossible? Because just mentioning Watkins Glen when the US is already in the process of constructing two circuits is completely irrelevant.

The reality is that Montmelo and Valencia might rotate. Simple as that. And whether even Paul Ricard or Mangy-Cours can be used is still up in the air, as France has done little to further a proposed GP.

The fact's are that Valencia and Montmelo are in discussions to rotate.
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Vale ... 37721.html
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Lurk

The Glen is only FIA grade 2, so you cannot run formula one test or GP here.
Barber is 1T so it would be ok for test.
I would like to see french GP coming back but motorsport does not have much support in France. I just hope that with 3 drivers in 2012 it will change..

Pup
Pup

I'd think that the Nurburgring would be the only place in Europe that could organize a GP in short order.

WhiteBlue

Pup wrote:I'd think that the Nurburgring would be the only place in Europe that could organize a GP in short order.
That is debatable, considering that the operating company failed financially and was dismissed by the state who owns the ring. They would find it impossible to pay Bernie's fee and install a management in time to run the race.

I think that the race could rather go to Turkey or France (Richard). On a second thought Red Bull Ring could do it as a one off with the might of Red Bull behind them.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ESPImperium

Red Bull Ring is 1T graded, so could be used for a test.

However i hate this whole gradings system, its too complicated for my liking.

And if a track is good enough, why not go there?

Lets weigh up the race options:

French: Magney or Ricard - Magney has poor hotel facilities near by, better than the last time F1 was there in 2008, but still poor. Magney is easy to get to now, Ricard is very easy to get to, but has next to no fan capacity. Ill take a 110,000 capacity Magney over a 45,000 theoretical capacity Ricard.

Turkish: Istanbul - Great track and infrustructure is there, however fan attendance has been poor since 2008.

Austrian: Red Bull/A1 Ring - Recently refurbished with a new pit lane and new main grandstand, short lap (Whitch i think F1 needs a couple more sub 5Km a lap tracks) however the track has noise level curfews, whitch would mean FP1 would have to start at a late in comparison 11AM for F1.

Germanay: Nurburgring - Track almost bankrupt, dosnt have the money, forget about it.

Italy: Imola - Track has been substancially upgraded recently, allowing it to get its Grade 1 licence back, and is a short lap track as well, and the fan infrustructure is there. Track is fun again as you can go from Rivatzza to the Tamburello chichane at full pelt now with no Variante Bassa chichane.

There arnt too many others.

Imola, Magney or A1 Ring would be my vote the week before the British GP. A frantic double header would make things interesting again.

Giblet

Bernie already mentioned Paul Ricard. He does own the circuit, and can make it happen. My understanding is it just needs more grandstands which are easily built from scaffold systems.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pup
Pup

I don't think Bernie would pay himself to hold a race.

mx_tifoso

Pup, I'm pretty sure he would find someone else to foot the bill. He's that talented.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Giblet

Pup wrote:I don't think Bernie would pay himself to hold a race.
He still gets the money from Valencia, they are contractually obligated even if the race is not held.

Then he will also get the money from the ticket sales. Its his track. He will make more money than if the Valencia race just paid him outside of the courts and held the race.

The thing about Bernie you can't forget, is he always, always wins.

Richard

A rumour about local government funding for Valencia being cut off is believable considering the state of public finances in Spain.

I guess the Barcelona funding is also tight, but do they get public funds? As an established permanent track they'll have other income sources.