Students are threatening the Canadian GP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ced381

Students are threatening the Canadian GP

Smoke bombs shut down Montreal subway system

BY BRIAN DALY, QMI AGENCY

MONTREAL - The Montreal subway system ground to a halt for the first time in nearly 16 years Thursday morning following co-ordinated smoke-bomb attacks.

Tens of thousands of commuters were left scrambling after the latest sign of social unrest, dubbed the Quebec Spring.

None of the province's striking student groups took responsibility for the attacks at three key transfer stations along the subway system, known as the Metro.

Smoke drove commuters into the streets and police and firefighters were called to the scene.

A temporary bus service was set up to shuttle passengers, many of whom waited up to two hours at bus stops.

Other users decided to walk or share taxis to get to work. Still others took their cars, making the rush-hour drive tougher than usual.

Service wasn't fully restored until almost noon -- nearly four hours after the first attack.

The Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal estimated the city's economy lost $11 million for every hour the Metro was out of service.

There were clear signs that citizens are starting to tire of the daily sit-ins, bridge blockades and clashes with police that began with the start of the student strike on Feb. 14.

One caller to a local radio station urged Premier Jean Charest to call in the army, which last patrolled Montreal streets during the 1998 ice storm -- the last time the Metro system was shut down.

Quebec's political class spoke with one voice Thursday, immediately condemning the attacks and accusing the vandals of holding ordinary citizens hostage.

"My city should no longer be a target," Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay told a news conference. "No cause can justify criminal activities that endanger public safety and social peace."

The provincial legislature passed a motion Thursday morning that unanimously condemned the smoke bombings.

"It's inexplicable," Charest told reporters in Gatineau, Que. "I hope the culprits are found because disrupting people's lives for reasons that we don't understand, it makes no sense."

Talks to end the student strike are stalled as one school after another rejects the government's offer to soften the impact of the seven-year, $1,800 tuition hike.

Some student groups are hardening their positions and digging in for a summer of discontent.

Arts students at the University of Quebec at Montreal threatened to shut down the Canadian Grand Prix next month, an event that generates $80 million in economic spinoffs.

QMI political analyst Jean Lapierre said provincial and municipal officials must toughen the police response to maintain law and order.

"It's anarchy in Montreal," he said. "Things are happening every day. Montreal is no longer safe."

Well... ****...
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

PlatinumZealot

Re: Students are threatening the Canadian GP

Terrorism threats?!

That means the safety of the drivers are at risk and so the Canadian GP should be cancelled! I am boycotting the race!

Down with the Canadian GP!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

I think in such a scenario where the threat is made to the grand prix (and by extension, the people within the paddock) then the danger is much more real.

If they're bluffing - I have no qualms with the race carrying on. But if they're not - I think serious action has to be taken - either cancellation of the GP or by taking action in terms of the students. I don't mean violence - I mean whatever basically stops them from their protests.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

jon-mullen

Give them some pot and put on Comedy Central and they'll go away.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

mx_tifoso

OMG this is happening in Canada! This must be a signal of the worlds imminent end, no doubt.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ParanoiD

jon-mullen wrote:Give them some pot and put on Comedy Central and they'll go away.
or perhaps Ice Hockey game
Ay Carumba!

RacingManiac

If they took out the Metro system on the GP weekend, the GP might as well be cancelled....the subway is the main artery to the track....

Lycoming

They get no sympathy from any other canadian students; even with the planned tuition changes, their engineering students will still be paying fractions what an arts student pays in any other province.

amouzouris

Why is the world against F1 this season...???

raymondu999

Maybe it's the tyres? :P

*tongue in cheek
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

sknguy

The four students who were responsible for the smoke bomb attack turned themselves in to the Police the next day. The incident happened last Thursday.

Although I sympathise with those student groups in general, some of the groups really aren't doing their cause any favours. At least in the public's eyes. Their political nemesis, the provincial government, is coming out smelling like roses. I'm not a Quebecer but it kinda looks like one smoke bomb too many I think.

myurr

raymondu999 wrote:I think in such a scenario where the threat is made to the grand prix (and by extension, the people within the paddock) then the danger is much more real.

If they're bluffing - I have no qualms with the race carrying on. But if they're not - I think serious action has to be taken - either cancellation of the GP or by taking action in terms of the students. I don't mean violence - I mean whatever basically stops them from their protests.
Four students with some smoke bombs makes you consider cancellation of the GP...!? Really?

Crabbia

Dear Canada,

Smoke, really? Come with the tear gas next time, then we can talk.

Regards,
South Africa.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Richard

Lycoming wrote:They get no sympathy from any other canadian students; even with the planned tuition changes, their engineering students will still be paying fractions what an arts student pays in any other province.
That's interesting, engineering courses cost a lot more to run than arts courses.

Of course anyone on this forum would also say that engineering courses create more value for society too. Bargain all round!

Out of interest do tuition fees vary depending on the type of course, or are you saying Quebec tuition fees are cheaper in general?

raymondu999

myurr wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I think in such a scenario where the threat is made to the grand prix (and by extension, the people within the paddock) then the danger is much more real.

Four students with some smoke bombs makes you consider cancellation of the GP...!? Really?
You never know what they will trade up to.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法