Rob Wilson - driver coach?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JimClarkFan

Re: Rob Wilson - driver coach?

Rob Wilson has had to back track on his Kimi vs Alonso battle

PlatinumZealot

JimClarkFan wrote:Rob Wilson has had to back track on his Kimi vs Alonso battle
Yeah, I am very much looking forward to his postmortem or Kimi and Vettel.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

So, been a while since I posted on F1T!

I've noticed something else about Rob Wilson.

- Rob Wilson says Kimi goes for "shorter" sharper corner arcs and sacrifices minimum speed
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmEoJCKhsqo[/youtube]

Kimi himself says:
Since go-karts, if it doesn't turn on the front bite I never liked it - my driving style is more to try and carry the speed into the corners and try to keep it up in the mid-corner. It's just the way that I'm used to doing things.
Source: http://plus.autosport.com/premium/featu ... orribilis/
- Rob Wilson says Kimi adapts his driving style to account for malhandling traits in a car:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrgmZyMHzrw[/youtube]

- Kimi himself says:
No, I don't see the point of me changing my driving style. I couldn't drive differently any faster. The issue is not with how I drive but how we fix the issue, then we will have a good result.

I can drive around some issues but I hope we can fix the main issue and drive as I always do. I've been driving in Formula One for quite a few years and have never changed it and will never change it. It's not the right way of fixing the problems.
Source: http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport ... 77315.html
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Kingshark

Rob Wilson is too much of a Kimi fanboy to be considered a reliable source of information. I mean, midway through the season, the man was still convinced that Kimi is the best teammate Fernando has ever had, ahead of Lewis. If that isn't pure delusion, then I don't know what is.

bill shoe

Don't know anything about Rob Wilson.

It's difficult to express driving styles in words. You are trying to compare yourself to other drivers in terms of managing acceleration around a friction circle as you go thru a corner. Drivers commonly know what they mean more than they say what they mean.

Rob Wilson may have meant that Kimi intuitively adjusts for subtle differences in car balance, while Kimi means he does not want to take a severe turd and drive around the turd-ness because then everyone in the team begins to accept that it's OK to have a car that handles like a turd.

I'm a Kimi fan, but he did get his butt kicked by Alonso, no question.

And Raymondu999, welcome as always.

raymondu999

Kingshark wrote:Rob Wilson is too much of a Kimi fanboy to be considered a reliable source of information. I mean, midway through the season, the man was still convinced that Kimi is the best teammate Fernando has ever had, ahead of Lewis. If that isn't pure delusion, then I don't know what is.
He has however recently called his prediction of Kimi blowing Alonso out of the water as one of his regrets
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SectorOne

Joe Macari just put him on the spot straight away.
(it´s where Raymonds comments originate from)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8VP1ZwSGeU
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

PlatinumZealot

Kingshark wrote:Rob Wilson is too much of a Kimi fanboy to be considered a reliable source of information. I mean, midway through the season, the man was still convinced that Kimi is the best teammate Fernando has ever had, ahead of Lewis. If that isn't pure delusion, then I don't know what is.
Since he is so knowledgeable of the technical aspects of Kimi's driving I was expecting his analysis of why Kimi was so slow in 2014. A real let-down for the fans if he doesn't do one.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

trinidefender

Seeing as it seems everybody on this forum is so knowledgeable and has 20-20 (hindsight) vision of a drivers qualities etc then I ask you all to present your predictions so that when you are wrong we can all say you are a (insert driver here) fanboy and delusional. Have a nice day.

TAG

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." We saw quite a few of that this season.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

raymondu999

trinidefender wrote:Seeing as it seems everybody on this forum is so knowledgeable and has 20-20 (hindsight) vision of a drivers qualities etc then I ask you all to present your predictions so that when you are wrong we can all say you are a (insert driver here) fanboy and delusional. Have a nice day.
It is when you keep saying the same driver will crush the field, as Rob does of Kimi
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bill shoe

trinidefender wrote:Seeing as it seems everybody on this forum is so knowledgeable and has 20-20 (hindsight) vision of a drivers qualities etc then I ask you all to present your predictions so that when you are wrong we can all say you are a (insert driver here) fanboy and delusional. Have a nice day.
OK, so put up or shut up. Here I go for 2015--

Hamilton will continue to be a bit quicker than Rosberg, but championship will be over before last race.

Riccardo will be only slightly quicker than Kvyat, thus reducing Riccardo's reputation, and thus indirectly further reducing Vettel's reputation.

Bottas will be slightly quicker (and score more points) than Massa.

Vettel will be similar to Kimi. Vettel may be slightly quicker than Kimi but it will clearly be less advantage than Alonso had over Kimi. This will end the premise of Vettel being in the same league as Alonso or Hamilton. Notice this raises Adrian Newey's reputation even more. Also, it further reduces Mark Webber's reputation. Also reduces the reputation of Red Bull's driver development system.

Alonso will beat Button in a similar manner to how Hamilton beat Button. A solid 0.5 sec average in qualy and lots of points over the season. Will not change Button's reputation, he is already a known quantity who's had the unfortunate recent tendency to share his team against the two very best drivers.

Hulkenberg will solidly beat Perez because Hulkenberg is a grown-up professional driver and Perez is a pay-driver.

Don't know what to think about wonderboy Verstappen and Saintz, but let's just assume Verstappen consistently beats Saintz and therefore proves nothing whatsoever.

Maldonado will crash less in 2015 (mathematical certainty?) and will almost keep up with Grosjean. Will reduce Grosjean's reputation.

Sauber drivers are pay drivers of no particular significance. It doesn't matter which is faster, it won't change either of their reputations.

Interesting point- I count only 4 clear pay-drivers on the grid for 2015 (Sauber pair, Maldonado, Perez). I believe this is the smallest number in many years. The two backmarker teams will be missed, but not their steady flow of pay-drivers.

There you go. It was not even very hard. I think we know the pecking order of the drivers better now than I can ever remember.

SectorOne

bill shoe wrote:Will not change Button's reputation, he is already a known quantity who's had the unfortunate recent tendency to share his team against the two very best drivers.
One thing we got to commend him though about this is that he loves that sh*t, that´s what get him up everyday it seems.
to have this attitude that "ok i´m gonna share a car with the best/fastest driver on the grid, and i´m gonna love every second of it regardless of what happens" is very special in my opinion.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

JimClarkFan

bill shoe wrote:
OK, so put up or shut up. Here I go for 2015--

Hamilton will continue to be a bit quicker than Rosberg, but championship will be over before last race.

Riccardo will be only slightly quicker than Kvyat, thus reducing Riccardo's reputation, and thus indirectly further reducing Vettel's reputation.

Bottas will be slightly quicker (and score more points) than Massa.

Vettel will be similar to Kimi. Vettel may be slightly quicker than Kimi but it will clearly be less advantage than Alonso had over Kimi. This will end the premise of Vettel being in the same league as Alonso or Hamilton. Notice this raises Adrian Newey's reputation even more. Also, it further reduces Mark Webber's reputation. Also reduces the reputation of Red Bull's driver development system.

Alonso will beat Button in a similar manner to how Hamilton beat Button. A solid 0.5 sec average in qualy and lots of points over the season. Will not change Button's reputation, he is already a known quantity who's had the unfortunate recent tendency to share his team against the two very best drivers.

Hulkenberg will solidly beat Perez because Hulkenberg is a grown-up professional driver and Perez is a pay-driver.

Don't know what to think about wonderboy Verstappen and Saintz, but let's just assume Verstappen consistently beats Saintz and therefore proves nothing whatsoever.

Maldonado will crash less in 2015 (mathematical certainty?) and will almost keep up with Grosjean. Will reduce Grosjean's reputation.

Sauber drivers are pay drivers of no particular significance. It doesn't matter which is faster, it won't change either of their reputations.

Interesting point- I count only 4 clear pay-drivers on the grid for 2015 (Sauber pair, Maldonado, Perez). I believe this is the smallest number in many years. The two backmarker teams will be missed, but not their steady flow of pay-drivers.

There you go. It was not even very hard. I think we know the pecking order of the drivers better now than I can ever remember.

Can't find much to disagree on there.

Kingshark

bill shoe wrote:Alonso will beat Button in a similar manner to how Hamilton beat Button. A solid 0.5 sec average in qualy and lots of points over the season. Will not change Button's reputation, he is already a known quantity who's had the unfortunate recent tendency to share his team against the two very best drivers.
Button is lucky to have became teammates with 2 of the best drivers of this generation. Indirectly, it enhances his reputation. Jenson knows how to score a lot of points over the course of a season, even if he's not the fastest out there. I think that Alonso will beat him, but not embarrass him (kind of like how Kimi beat Massa in 2007). Jenson will be remembered as a driver who went up against two of the best of his generation in equal cars, and did a solid job against both of them.

Perez is more than just a pay driver and certainly much better than the Sauber duo and Maldonado.

He scored a podium in Bahrain and should've got another podium (if not a win) in Canada if not for his brake problems, in the same car Hulkenberg didn't even sniff the podium all year long. Hulkenberg is just another Heidfeld. Perez has more potential than Hulkenberg and his highest peaks are higher, but he has less consistency.