Hamilton to leave for Mercedes 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JimClarkFan

Hamilton to leave for Mercedes 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19489930

Normally I don't pay too much attention to the rumor mill, but to me, with everything that has been going on with Hamilton I can see this being a very real possibility. I'm not sure though what his intentions would be for moving other than to get a bigger pay packet. Certainly I don't see him winning any races in Mercedes anytime soon.

Edit - apologies, should be in silly season thread
Last edited by Richard on 28 Sep 2012, 11:15, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated title from "Rumor Mill: Hamilton to leave for Mercedes"

Pup
Pup

Re: Rumor Mill: Hamilton to leave for Mercedes

I'm not sure if Mercedes would care for Hamilton's petulance.

Nor do I think Hamilton wants to be in anything other than a top car, and Mercedes is a big risk in that respect.

But I could see McLaren reaching the limit of their patience at some point.

hairy_scotsman

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

fiohaa

as a schumi fan this is very very sad news if its true.

1. why would hamilton leave for arguably a worse team, that hasn't achieved anything in 3 years. Mclaren have proven time and time again that they can develop a car quickly over a season.

2. for schumi to once again be effectively pushed out of a team like he was at ferrari would be a total tragedy. he would be gutted to leave without even a chance of a race win, and has been performing consistently better in races than rosberg, providing his car doesnt fall apart.

3. his race craft is still clearly intact for all to say.

this news has frankly ruined my day, and im now going to go and watch the 2003 season on dvd.

Trocola

That could be the most stupid thing Hamilton could do in his career

Trocola

bhall

If it really happens, I think it's the right move for Hamilton. Great drivers are judged by what they build, not by what they happen upon. If he can somehow contribute to a Mercedes resurrection, he'll then see his legacy placed alongside those of Schumacher/Ferrari, Alonso/Renault-Ferrari, etc. That's what he wants.

At the bare minimum, Mercedes will give him #1 status by default, something McLaren will never do, as it's simply not their style. (He should know this already, though. His inaugural campaign was a notorious season-long lesson that no one is #1 at McLaren.)

jdlive

Why Mercedes?

"However Hamilton's management have also approached Red Bull and Ferrari this summer but been rebuffed."

Because no one else wants him. And who can blame them?
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

Dragonfly

Why all think it will be Schumacher who'll leave? Nico has much more reasons to seek another seat with better prospects for his career.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

bhall

jdlive wrote:"However Hamilton's management have also approached Red Bull and Ferrari this summer but been rebuffed."

Because no one else wants him. And who can blame them?
Eh, I don't necessarily see it like that.

Ferrari wouldn't dare make the same mistake McLaren made in 2007 by pairing those two divas again, and Red Bull has a statistically better #1 along with a highly competent adjutant who's willing to bend over from time to time (I think they call that "harmony" or something).

The Mercedes move really does make sense to me.

amouzouris

Dragonfly wrote:Why all think it will be Schumacher who'll leave? Nico has much more reasons to seek another seat with better prospects for his career.
you suggesting hamilton to merc and nico to mclaren?

SeijaKessen

If Schumacher does in fact come back for a 2013 season, I could see him going to the Scuderia for a 1 year deal to give Perez another year with Sauber to get some more experience. He would give them a much more capable #2 driver, which is what they really want.

As far as Hamilton goes, I think the draw of Mercedes is that he would still be familiar with the engines, so the only real work to be done is with the chassis. He may be thinking it would be easy to give all his knowledge regarding McLaren's setups to Merc, and get them on the track to success.

Of course, the other thing is --assuming any of this is true-- that this could be a giant game of chicken with Ron the Con over his contract negotiations.

wesley123

Interresting rumor this is, I personally dont know what to say about it.

Hamilton currently drives at McLaren, power by Merc engines. He sure knows the big bosses at Merc and has other connections there. There have been rumors surrounding Hamilton for a longer time, mainly to Red Bull first. We all know that isnt going to work since they'll stick to Webber and Vettel.

For Hamilton to make the step to Merc is a logical decision. Hamilton seems to want to step his game up and take a team to the top, just like Vettel does, Schumacher had done and alonso does. It is clear in that prospect that McLaren does not have the same intentions as Lewis does. Then Merc is a logical step, they have been hiring a lot and still need to pick the fruits from this, they need a driver who can take them to the next level and I believe both Rosberg as Schumacher are currently incapable of doing so.

McLaren so far didnt seem to take any specific interest in Lewis, not on his contract and not on his salary, then on track he is constantly the guy to get the crap of the weekend over himself, he is always the unlucky guy at McLaren. It isnt a surprise that Lewis would leave, that it would take this long is a surprise already imo.
amouzouris wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:Why all think it will be Schumacher who'll leave? Nico has much more reasons to seek another seat with better prospects for his career.
you suggesting hamilton to merc and nico to mclaren?
With everyone going crazy about this great history that wouldnt sound stupid. Afterall after now a Senna in a williams-Renault, Lotus back in F1 what is better than having a Rosberg drive at McLaren?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

jdlive

Idd. I think it'll be Nico who will be booted out. Schumacher is still the better one of those two. Not to mention his merchandise value.
Last edited by jdlive on 05 Sep 2012, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

elf341

Guys. Seriously. Eddie Jordan started this rumour. 'Nuff said.

SeijaKessen

wesley123 wrote:
With everyone going crazy about this great history that wouldnt sound stupid. Afterall after now a Senna in a williams-Renault, Lotus back in F1 what is better than having a Rosberg drive at McLaren?
Well given the rumors with a few of the teams, I'd be very curious to see what happens to Bruno Senna for 2013.

I know most have assumed he will be out of Williams...and likely out of F1 altogether. I'm not entirely sure about that. We could see him back there at Williams again...or perhaps the 2nd seat at Ferrari? Ferrari has had a Brazilian in the 2nd seat since Eddie Irvine was let go after the 1999 season.