Speed TV drops F1 coverage

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mx_tifoso

Re: Speed TV drops F1 coverage

I'm watching the first(?) preseason show on NBC and it's not half bad. It's almost the same crew with a fresh look and feel, and Will Buxton finally has a video crew besides the audio-only clips.

Hopefully the GP coverage is as good as this show.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

beardRage

I was skeptical, but after the show and finding out that they will be covering full weekends, I'm much more enthusiastic about the move from speed. Can't wait for the weekend!
The liberator who destroyed my property has realigned my perception.

dren

mx_tifoso wrote:I'm watching the first(?) preseason show on NBC and it's not half bad. It's almost the same crew with a fresh look and feel, and Will Buxton finally has a video crew besides the audio-only clips.

Hopefully the GP coverage is as good as this show.
Who all is the "crew"? I was thinking Bob Varsha would have to remain with Speed.
Honda!

mx_tifoso

I think it's practically everyone from Speed except Varsha.

tk421

SeijaKessen wrote:
What I would say, and have said to a few people in conversation, is that the biggest problem with having them in a studio commentating is that they come across as being reactive rather than proactive in many cases. I don't recall ever getting that feeling when listening to Brundle who is extremely proactive in his commentating. He'll discuss what a driver wants to, or should do before they have actually done it.
i can't remember how many times i've been completely blown away by the foresight (proactive as you call it) of steve matchett. he's always saying things like ok, in this situation we should see this team or this driver doing this or doing that, and then five seconds later they do it. also, using timing and scoring, he'll say like ok, this happened on timing and scoring, so we should see the tv feed pick up this team or this driver, and then it does. i think the former is more impressive, but altogether i think it's rather uncanny.

(completely disagree with your thoughts on them praising bruno, btw, but nothing personal)
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

mx_tifoso

Well, to start off the season on the wrong foot they aren't broadcasting FP1 live. Instead, to please no one, they are broadcasting a tape delayed FP1 followed by a live FP2.

And yeah, SatchelCharge, I also hope for less dumbdowned commentary but I don't believe it will happen, especially with the NBC audience.

jp5
jp5

mx_tifoso wrote:Well, to start off the season on the wrong foot they aren't broadcasting FP1 live. Instead, to please no one, they are broadcasting a tape delayed FP1 followed by a live FP2.

And yeah, SatchelCharge, I also hope for less dumbdowned commentary but I don't believe it will happen, especially with the NBC audience.
Is anyone trying to watch the NBC coverage online rather than TV? If so...how please?

Thanks

mx_tifoso

As far as I know there isn't any streaming version of the NBC broadcast, they're just tape delaying for an hour. And after that's over then the live tv coverage begins.

jp5
jp5

mx_tifoso wrote:As far as I know there isn't any streaming version of the NBC broadcast, they're just tape delaying for an hour. And after that's over then the live tv coverage begins.
I had really hoped for something that was at least equal of contemporary efforts from the BBC, it is so frustrating I think most will agree, that there is not a multi-channel digital package offered (complimentary to any live TV broadcast).

Hobbs04

Any word if NBC is going to show quali live at 8pm ET?

I haven't heard but I am going to guess that they will be showing the MLS match. Wonder which has more of following in the US, MLS or F1 but with them pushing MLS a lot today I would bet no live Q.

Just found it: https://twitter.com/F1onNBCSports
F1® Racing on NBC ‏@F1onNBCSports

We will have coverage of resumed qualifying at 1230am ET tonight on @NBCSN & will take you right up until the LIVE race at 1:30AM
No live Q. Not that I was a huge fan of NASCAR network, I mean Speed, but they would have interrupted their live 12 hours of Sebring to show it.

SoCalWJS

1158 wrote:I haven't heard but I am going to guess that they will be showing the MLS match. Wonder which has more of following in the US, MLS or F1 but with them pushing MLS a lot today I would bet no live Q.

Just found it: https://twitter.com/F1onNBCSports
F1® Racing on NBC ‏@F1onNBCSports

We will have coverage of resumed qualifying at 1230am ET tonight on @NBCSN & will take you right up until the LIVE race at 1:30AM
No live Q. Not that I was a huge fan of NASCAR network, I mean Speed, but they would have interrupted their live 12 hours of Sebring to show it.
Yeah, NBC is making some mistakes with it's inaugural F! coverage....

SoCalWJS wrote: Yeah, NBC is making some mistakes with it's inaugural F! coverage....
Yeah, they could show it on CNBC or MSNBC if they wanted to keep the live MLS stuff going. So much for their commitment to open wheel racing. :roll:

reallydumb

They just shot themself in the foot. Luckly I'm on the west coast 7:30 to 1:00am. :wtf:

I will say I'm impressed to see NBC going "non-stop"/side by side during the commercial breaks!