Silly Season 2013/14

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Re: Silly Season 2013/14

SilverArrow10 wrote:Chilton gets a second go but Van der garde doesn't? I hate that.
Van Der Garde turned down the Caterham drive to go to Sauber. With testing back, he'll get plenty of seat time ahead of a planned race seat in 15.

http://m.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/3055 ... -voor-mij/

kooleracer
kooleracer

Juzh wrote:
SectorOne wrote:wonder what happened to VDG.. I´m Swedish but i´m not that hyped for Ericsson in F1 to be honest.
how so?
84 GP2 drives 3 wins, only won the BMW Formula UK series. Japanese F3 isn't as good as it used to be. Only managed one win in the best GP2 car. Marcus Ericsson is on par with Chilton 62 races in GP2 2 wins. Both average 30 GP2 to one 1 win ratio! Caterham should gave chosen Di Resta and Kamui or Frijns. Ericsson finished 6th in GP2, but nowadays that seems to be enough.....
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

SectorOne

Juzh wrote:
SectorOne wrote:wonder what happened to VDG.. I´m Swedish but i´m not that hyped for Ericsson in F1 to be honest.
how so?
Think we have more promising talent coming up. Rosenqvist for example.
Bit of a slow start but went the distance with Marciello.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

JanF1
JanF1

raymondu999 wrote: Why would Honda push for a Japanese driver, when (to memory) they never did that in the past? Remember how they used to push for McLaren to sign Senna?
Well, if you refer to the time around the late 80ies, don't forget about Saturo Nakajima... :wink:

I could also see Kobayashi very likely in a Honda-powered car next year. Not necessarily a McLaren, but if there really will be a second Honda-team, KK would be a strong guess for one of the seats I think...

CHT
CHT

raymondu999 wrote:
CHT wrote:
CHT wrote:I think Kamui should get a drive with Caterham in 2014 and then join Mclaren Honda in 2015.
I still think this could possibly happen in 2015 because Honda sponsorship money will be too BIG for Mclaren to say no, and Kamui experience with Renault engine in 2014 will be a good asset for Honda for sure.

Go Kamui Go!! =D>
Why would Honda push for a Japanese driver, when (to memory) they never did that in the past? Remember how they used to push for McLaren to sign Senna?
Takuma Sato did drive for Honda for many years and I think Kamui will make a good no. 2 if Mclaren manage to bring in Alonso to Mclaren.
Last edited by CHT on 21 Jan 2014, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

adrianjordan

raymondu999 wrote:
CHT wrote:
CHT wrote:I think Kamui should get a drive with Caterham in 2014 and then join Mclaren Honda in 2015.
I still think this could possibly happen in 2015 because Honda sponsorship money will be too BIG for Mclaren to say no, and Kamui experience with Renault engine in 2014 will be a good asset for Honda for sure.

Go Kamui Go!! =D>
Why would Honda push for a Japanese driver, when (to memory) they never did that in the past? Remember how they used to push for McLaren to sign Senna?
Super Aguri...wasn't that basically backed by Honda as a way of keeping Sato in the sport??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

iotar__

How much are they bringing? Their justification is questionable - they claim experience and replace Pic (2 seasons in F1) with Koba - 1+ more but with a break and new to the team, and add a rookie. Why Ericsson and not Rossi or Frijns?

It's understandable why they'd hire someone like Koba, quick, skilful, very good marketing value - and money. After Marussia got themselves a fast driver by accident :wink: they needed someone to match him but why Glock, Kova weren't considered? Even though Caterham's driver choices are chaotic and without a plan I like this line-up, Ericsson, paying or not is bashed too much and will be all right.

Honda will be McLaren exclusive and let's be realistic Kobayashi is not going there, he should be worried about 2015 when internet money (is it a fact or rumour?) runs out. What Van der Garde says makes sense - he may be counting on Sutil's seat.

SilverArrow10

Im still annoyed the GP2 champion didn't get a drive. Think the FIA has to step in and do something about that, make sure they get drives.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

CHT
CHT

iotar__ wrote:How much are they bringing? Their justification is questionable - they claim experience and replace Pic (2 seasons in F1) with Koba - 1+ more but with a break and new to the team, and add a rookie. Why Ericsson and not Rossi or Frijns?

It's understandable why they'd hire someone like Koba, quick, skilful, very good marketing value - and money. After Marussia got themselves a fast driver by accident :wink: they needed someone to match him but why Glock, Kova weren't considered? Even though Caterham's driver choices are chaotic and without a plan I like this line-up, Ericsson, paying or not is bashed too much and will be all right.

Honda will be McLaren exclusive and let's be realistic Kobayashi is not going there, he should be worried about 2015 when internet money (is it a fact or rumour?) runs out. What Van der Garde says makes sense - he may be counting on Sutil's seat.
Honda needs a local hero as much as Mclaren needs Honda engine.

xDama
xDama

iotar__ wrote:How much are they bringing? Their justification is questionable - they claim experience and replace Pic (2 seasons in F1) with Koba - 1+ more but with a break and new to the team, and add a rookie. Why Ericsson and not Rossi or Frijns?
No matter what Caterham/Koba/Ericcson are saying: this line-up is all about who had the most dollars. I do believe that VDG had a perfect shot of driving another season, since he's got enough of dollars from Mcgreggor, but he chose to leave.

I'm happy to see Kobayashi back in F1, allthough I don't think he's a exeptional driver. I loved his first 2 years in F1 where he did some amazing overtaking, but he never really convinced me to be a 'complete' driver.
SilverArrow10 wrote:Im still annoyed the GP2 champion didn't get a drive. Think the FIA has to step in and do something about that, make sure they get drives.
I agree with the fact that a GP2-WDC should at least be considered to have a test-drive in F1, or even a race-seat. But Leimer is as much F1-worthy as Valsecchi for example. He won the GP2-WDC after 4/5 seasons of racing. To me that's not really an indication of talent.

I'm happy that Frijns at least got the reserve-seat, because if there's one guy who should have a seat in F1, it's Frijns.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

the whole GP2 to F1 concept simply isn't reasonable. if every year you are gonna have a fresh GP2 champ [you will if they go to f1], then every year 'somebody' has to go from F1. we only have 11 teams. you could say you thus have 11 years to fill, but it doesn't work that way. Redbull for example have their own driver programme. Ferrari has. Mclaren has.

a good solid GP2 performer should be able to stay in F1 when he performs there just as well. Theý'll need to mature into F1,
but if they get booted after every year because 'fans' think they are right that a GP2 champ deserves a drive just because he's a champ, then something's gotta give.

the established drivers sure as hell aren't gonna leave for some rookie, they shouldn't, and it's not reasonable.
we have alonso, kimi, button, hamilton, rosberg, vettel, all drivers running in f1 for various years. none of them
should get any boot, but that simply means you lose 5 seats for GP2 drivers. obviously, the top teams aren't conciderate
of putting rookies in there [except for mclaren for some wild reason].

of all of the drivers, i'm frank to say sutil is the only driver that imho should get the boot. hasn't showed anything and never is gonna show anything. that's a grid spot filled that loses potential for a rookie GP2 champ.

but the thing is, GP2 may be a 'feeder' series, that doesn't mean a GP2 driver from the start is a capable F1 driver. Hell, if Hamilton would step in in this low-testing ability, he'd struggle more in his debut then he did when he did.
So it'll take time for a GP2 driver to get going.

So if you gonna give a gp2 champ a seat, you'd probably concider him a 2-year drive. preferably with a friday testing role in advance.

There are simply not that many of opportunities if you take financial neccesity into the equasion aswell. I guess Guido made the decision he had to take; go for Sauber to get a seat there in 2015. I don't know if VdGarde really is that a talent,
he showed capability at Caterham, would be nice to see him in a more competetive car [would suck for him if caterham would actually be in front of sauber this season].

As for frijns, yeah, he seems to have great talent. His problem is his management and his own ego/mind. He could've driven for RedBull. Hell, if he's really that a talent, he might have seated next to Vettel this year if he got a drive last year or walked the path they walked with Ricciardo. But he didn't, he let that [golden] opportunity go to waste - though there's some reason there if you look at what happened to Alguersuari and co.
What i find tricky to think of for VdGarde is that frijns left Sauber because he wouldn't get a drive there, and eyes Caterham. So frijns and vdgarde seem to switch directions. weird.

we'll see. If caterham pulls out after a meager year, same for marussia, or if they 'merge' with another team, then you lose 3 spots all at once each team, that's 6 seats to fill with 4 race seats.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Gridlock

I think I can easily see choosing a Sauber reserve drive with guaranteed track time (and there's 8 days testing to play with too) over another year of being really really good at getting out of the way of the race leaders.

Have some fun in a car that might trouble the podium, feet up, watch the race.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Manoah2u wrote: What i find tricky to think of for VdGarde is that frijns left Sauber because he wouldn't get a drive there, and eyes Caterham. So frijns and vdgarde seem to switch directions. weird.
VD Garde has £££, which Frijns doesn't, making a race seat a possibility. Frijns gets to stay relevant and attend all the races, which he wouldn't otherwise. He won't be racing GP2, and Rossi will surely get most of the testing time so he's basically in the same position he had at Sauber.

dren

CHT wrote:Honda needs a local hero as much as Mclaren needs Honda engine.
Button is actually quite popular with the Japanese. If Magnussen is another Hamilton, I don't see Mclaren getting rid of either driver for 2015.
Honda!

SectorOne

Manoah2u wrote:the whole GP2 to F1 concept simply isn't reasonable. if every year you are gonna have a fresh GP2 champ [you will if they go to f1], then every year 'somebody' has to go from F1.
The last two years at least it would have been more then doable in theory but in practical terms it´s a bit more complicated.

pre-2014 season - Webber, Pic, di Resta and VDG has left the racing seats of various cars.

pre-2013 season - Schumacher, Kobayashi, Kovalainen, Petrov, Glock (then HRT withdrew which nullified those two driver slots)

I might expand this later but just wanted to see how it looked at first after reading your comment.

Edit:

pre-2012 season - Trulli, Barrichello, Sutil, Algy*, Buemi*, Liuzzi, D´ambrosio,

*STR seats are essentially irrelevant with them always getting filled from within Red Bull these days.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"