Silly Season 2013/14

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

Nando wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I disagree. The point of Toro Rosso is not to breed talent, but to find talent.
you get the idea.
The differentiation I was making is that I don't think RBR lot themselves to STR - as shown when they've had discussions with Alonso and Button a few years back - and as shown by them taking on Mark Webber, and discussing with Hamilton.

I liken STR to one of those hiring agencies, or rather, a somewhat exclusive talent pool - if the need arises, RBR will see the people that STR have, and people STR have. They like, they take. They don't like, they'll look elsewhere.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Clew

Wow...silly season after week 2 :roll: :lol:

Webber is staying at RBR 8)
Massa is staying at Ferrari 8)
Kimi is staying at Lotus 8)
Grosjean is staying at Lotus 8)
Vergne is staying at TR 8)
Ricciardo is staying at TR 8)
Kubica is staying at Rally 8)
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

Nando
Nando

An alternate version is:

Webber retires - Kimi takes the spot
Massa retires - Hulk takes the spot
Kubica joins Lotus, Grosjean gets another year
Vergne/Ricci stays
Someone takes over the spot in Sauber. Most likely Bianchi or some other Ferrari protege,
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I think the title of this thread is incorrect. It should surely ask: "Who is going to replace Horner at RedBull?"

Vettel has publically gone against a team order. The team has claimed it has been dealt with. Nothing public has happened to demonstrate the authority of the team over the driver. As Horner is the public team principal (Marko being the real power broker of course), I fail to see how Horner's position will remain tenable. Certainly, if the drivers mess around as the season progresses - and that must be viewed as a likely occurrence - and Horner is unable to prevent it then he must be seen as a short term prospect for the team. A team principal who does not have the respect of the drivers can't continue in the role.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

WhiteBlue

Why should Webber retire. I see no reason. I think that with his theatrical performances he satisfies his illusion that he is on equal status with the Red Bull lead driver who has always outperformed him consistently over every season. The truth is that Vettel is so much faster when it comes to a single lap that he has more than three times the pole positions that Webber got. Officially Mark gets equal equipment and procedural status. Would he get that at for instance Ferrari? No way. He would have a #2 contract to begin with. So the likely outcome is for Mark to continue his illusions, take the money and stay put. Seb cannot rely on Mark to support him even in crucial races as seen in Brazil last year. So nothing really changes. None of the Red Bull drivers will effectively obey team orders since Webber refused it in Turkey 2010 and Silverstone 2011. That much is clear. And so there is no real reason to change drivers for any party. But if Webber looses the hunger for competition the Iceman would be the likely option in my view. Probably a bit more expansive but very cool for marketing. Even more capable than Webber as long as he is motivated. He knows what he is doing - fighting for championships. With Webber I'm not sure he is even trying hard enough on his bad days. He can spectacularly under perform for the most important events. Abu Dhabi 2010 and Korea 2010 were some of those events that stood out massively. First he threw away the car in Korea and then he was more than a second off the qualifying pace. You cannot compete with Seb, Lewis and Fred if you have those off days for the showdown of the championship.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

I think "IF" Webber was to leave RBR he could find a seat at Lotus, he has long term links with that team, his long term race engineer is there, he has been offered contracts there before.

I still find this situation very sad indeed, the actions of his team mate have put Marks position in doubt, not through any fault of his own.

WB, your undeniable disdain for Mark is palpable, haters gonna hate.

StrikeForceF1
StrikeForceF1

Nando wrote:An alternate version is:

Webber retires - Kimi takes the spot
Massa retires - Hulk takes the spot
Kubica joins Lotus, Grosjean gets another year
Vergne/Ricci stays
Someone takes over the spot in Sauber. Most likely Bianchi or some other Ferrari protege,
Must admit I would like to see that scenario....Kimi in the Bull up against Vettel, the Hulk in a prancing Horse up against Fred (possibly a good protoge for Fred - might possibly be good for Hulk also to pick up from Fred and his racecraft), Kubica back in F1 having a bit of time to acclimatise back to F1.....and Jules in a Sauber to take up the No #2 seat at Ferrari when Fred retires leaving Ferrari with 2 seasoned relatively young and very fast drivers. Would be a nice break in tradition for Ferrari as they traditionally like to employ world champions regarding others as inexperienced. This would also leave Ferrari with one of the best sucession driver plans on the grid which could be hugely beneficial to them.

CHT
CHT

Mateschitz added: "Kimi is cool and fast and always a candidate (@ RBR)."

Nando
Nando

Webber and Kimi 'candidates' for 2014 - Mateschitz
Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz has reassured Mark Webber that he will be a candidate for a drive in 2014 when it comes to making a decision.

Since the Red Bull team orders controversy at the Malaysian Grand Prix there has been speculation about whether Webber will remain at the team. In the post-race press conference Webber said he had a lot to consider ahead of the next race in China, making reference to previous incidents at the team as well as the most recent bust-up.

However, Mateschitz, who has been a long-term ally of Webber, said the Australian would be considered for 2014 if he wants to stay on.

"Mark is definitely a candidate for 2014," Mateschitz told Speedweek. "Whether he retires he must decide, but with us he is always welcome. Just as a quick junior such as [Jean-Eric] Vergne or [Daniel] Ricciardo from Toro Rosso would be. Sorry, that is a diplomatic answer which leaves everything open, but that's how it is. Everything else is pure speculation."

Asked whether Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen would be considered for a future role, Mateschitz added: "Kimi is cool and fast and always a candidate."
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... ateschitz/
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Cam

I can't help but wonder if Vettel and Webber need each other in some weird protagonist/antagonist way. Some relationships are strange like that, but ultimately they work and to date, it's worked a treat. Perhaps separating them is worse them keeping them together. No-one has explored this theory yet.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Cam wrote:I can't help but wonder if Vettel and Webber need each other in some weird protagonist/antagonist way. Some relationships are strange like that, but ultimately they work and to date, it's worked a treat. Perhaps separating them is worse them keeping them together. No-one has explored this theory yet.
I have also had such thoughts. That Vettel's success is partly due to the need to rely on his own abilities and mature fast with a teammate who makes your life harder.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

mnmracer
mnmracer

Dragonfly wrote:
Cam wrote:I can't help but wonder if Vettel and Webber need each other in some weird protagonist/antagonist way. Some relationships are strange like that, but ultimately they work and to date, it's worked a treat. Perhaps separating them is worse them keeping them together. No-one has explored this theory yet.
I have also had such thoughts. That Vettel's success is partly due to the need to rely on his own abilities and mature fast with a teammate who makes your life harder.
Agree with that line of thought.
Though in that case, Kimi would make a good -if not better- replacement for Vettel. Although they're friends, I can't see the competitiveness being any less.

Cam

I've read about this a bit here and there and will try to find some sources. Here's some quotes on the subject. Might be food for thought.
If there were no villains then the superhero would be obsolete. No evil to fight, no need for hero. unknown
A superhero without a great villain is like a day without sunshine. Stan Lee
Perhaps, just perhaps, Vettel and Webber need each other to perform - Webber with the constant underdog seeking to beat Goliath against all odds and Vettel always needing to seek approval never knowing when he's done enough - it's a psychologist's dream. Break the chain - break the results. Maybe.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

CHT
CHT

Kimi is definitely a good marketing icon for Red Bull drinks and it will also be a good back up plan for RBR if Vettel leaves.

A Kimi Vettel team will be great and I can definitely see them working well together. And more importantly, RBR will be able to afford it.

mnmracer
mnmracer

CHT wrote:Kimi is definitely a good marketing icon for Red Bull drinks and it will also be a good back up plan for RBR if Vettel leaves.

A Kimi Vettel team will be great and I can definitely see them working well together. And more importantly, RBR will be able to afford it.
Didn't Kimi have Red Bull backing in NASCAR and Rally?