Young Drivers Test 2013 - Silverstone

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

Re: Young Drivers Test 2013 - Silverstone

langwadt wrote:
nacho wrote:I thought Wolff (Stoddart) wasn't too bad in DTM, good enough to test F1 definitely.
wiki says four points in seven seasons..
DTM like F1 is dependent on what team you are in.
What you should look at is how many rookies that she was up against and how many jaws she had to pick up from the floor because of that.
Some of the guys were genuinely baffled at how she could be quicker then them.

She´s also reeled in Hamilton in karting so she is undoubtedly a very quick racing driver by herself.
Having the other Wolff there obviously makes the path a lot straighter and easier.

Susi is most likely not the womens answer for F1 but she´s a cog in the system and girls are starting to pop up everywhere now.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

KeiKo403

I wonder who Ferrari will run? Bianchi, Massa and Alonso? Who needs young drivers at a Young Driver Test!?

turbof1

Ricciardo will also test for Red Bull:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108807

Off topic, but this also implies Vergne is out of the running for next year's Red Bull seat.
#AeroFrodo

waynes

Re: Silverstone - Young Drivers Test

KeiKo403 wrote:
waynes wrote:booked last night to go Thursday.

also, pay an extra tenner and you can go on the Pit walkabout from 1700-1800

:)
wicked. Do you know if the pit/paddock area will be open throughout the day to see the back of the garages etc?
as i read it they are using the old pits up at Woodcote, and it does state that the pits / paddock area isnt open during the test. shame really
Silverstone are pleased to host the 2013 Formula One Young Drivers' Test between the 17th - 19th July, welcoming back the Formula 1™ teams to test over the three day event being run from the Heritage Pit and Paddock.
The Driver line up is yet to be confirmed but on-track action is sure to provide an exciting day out for all the family, with adult ticket prices starting from £15.00 per day, and Child entry free of charge!

A Pit Walk will be held on all three days of the Young Drivers’ Test between 1700 – 1800, giving visitors the opportunity to view a variety of Show Cars on display in the pit lane as well as several open garages.
Tickets are limited but will be available both in advance, and on the day. Pit Walk ticket holders will be able to gain access to the Pit Lane via the track at Luffield from 1700 as the Centre is not accessible to the Public throughout the Event.
Tickets will be available in advance, as well as on the day. Please note that there is no timetable for this Event.
An Entertainment and Food court, situated behind Woodcote grandstand, will be available to keep you entertained throughout the Event and will offer a variety of catering options.
We look forward to welcoming you to Silverstone to see the future F1® stars put through their paces!
Gates open at 08:30
Track activity runs from 09:00 – 17:00
Tickets can be bought on the day from Gate 1 and Car Park 50
We will be opening the circuit from Copse to Abbey with Woodcote A, B and National Pits Straight grandstands open. Fans can use all the General Admission areas in this area but no more grandstands will be open.
http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/f1- ... ers-test/#

waynes

I'm proper giddy for this, went to the GP and stood on Brooklands, but i'm going to park myself at Copse and also get down to Becketts for some action.

suncream is going to be a must as the temperatures are climbing

:)

KeiKo403

I was hoping the paddock area would be open but I'm not paying extra for that. I just wanna get some really good photos. I'm not bothered about seeing up and coming drivers who I won't recognise anyway.

I think there'll be some big queue's at the gate and if you get there at 8:30, you'll miss the 9am start. I can't wait to hear the sound!

iotar__

turbof1 wrote:Ricciardo will also test for Red Bull:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108807

Off topic, but this also implies Vergne is out of the running for next year's Red Bull seat.
I wouldn't say that. First of all young drivers test won't prove anything. Secondly driving Toro Rosso is much more important to prove yourself worthy of RB seat.

Let's say they had only one seat for TR drivers in the test with two regular drivers, Da Costa and Sainz. Ricciardo is better (slightly or not) of the two this season so they went with him. They don't need them both anyway even if they want to check and "compare" them to their regular drivers, as flawed as this comparison will be, they can always cross-reference Vergne with DR. They have plenty of data for that.

With Marko you never know if it's BS or not.

radosav

If only young drivers are used at YDT , does that mean that team can test various upgrade parts all day?

turbof1

The concept us simple: teams are allowed to do whatever they like when they put a young driver in the car; when a race driver is in the car, they are only allowed to work on set up. With this mind, any mixed program with racing drivers and young drivers is allowed.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

So basically you can put on the parts with a YD in the car then the next day, keep the car as is and let Kimi jump in?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

turbof1

No. New parts, so previously unseen during previous weekends, need to be replaced by 'regular' parts when the racing driver takes over. The fia sends extra observers to make sure no abuse takes place.

Admittingly there are grey area's. For instance DRD: although tried alot and actually being raced once, it is still under development you might argue. When Kimi uses that during his outing, is it setup work or development work? Sometimes that line is vague. Ultimately, the observers there decide about such ambiguety.
#AeroFrodo

KeiKo403

Any news on Mercedes asking the FIA if they are allowed 1 day to test?

mystras

KeiKo403 wrote:I wonder who Ferrari will run? Bianchi, Massa and Alonso? Who needs young drivers at a Young Driver Test!?
Rigon to do bulk of test for Ferrari alongside Massa

lio007

does anybody know if there is some live timing like in pre-season testing e.g. https://f1test.info/2013.php?

godlameroso

turbof1 wrote:No. New parts, so previously unseen during previous weekends, need to be replaced by 'regular' parts when the racing driver takes over. The fia sends extra observers to make sure no abuse takes place.

Admittingly there are grey area's. For instance DRD: although tried alot and actually being raced once, it is still under development you might argue. When Kimi uses that during his outing, is it setup work or development work? Sometimes that line is vague. Ultimately, the observers there decide about such ambiguety.
There are development items that exist beneath the skin that are impossible to distinguish
Saishū kōnā