Schumacher ski accident, coma and recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cam

Re: Schumacher ski accident, coma and recovery

bhall wrote:Do you honestly think that's what this is about?
All I know is that you brought nothing to the table to back up your holier-than-thou viewpoint. That the circle-jerk crew continue to vote you up for it, simply shows how a technical related - voting system simply doesn't work. How high and mighty you all are to down vote an opinion because it has ' no technical' merit, yet you're all quick to up vote the same thing - when it suits...... double standards much?

At any stage you could have presented any number of facts to support your point and had a mature debate on equal terms - you've done nothing, zero, yet you want us all to simply believe you? I agree with you, yet how can any intelligent person form a conclusion based on 'your feelings'.

It was a good question to debate - pity you weren't up for it.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

andartop

Has anyone paused to think that we might not have more information because there is no more information to be had?

Has anyone thought how they would react if their spouse or child had a freak accident and was in a coma for months, and all they were told from the doctors was: 'we don't really know if they might recover or not, at which state they might be, or how long it might take'?

If I was Corrina, the last thing in the world I would care about would be the 'right' of the public to stay informed. Actually, I wouldn't give a f%£k about the public.

'Right' or 'wrong', who's to say?

Legally, there is a right of patient confidentiality, and there is no obligation from the family to 'inform' anyone.

As far as I am concerned, I find this a very healthy approach to a situation like this, despite the fact I'd really like to know more about his current state and recovery prospects. But I just wait. As his family has to. I have even managed to avoid (so far) posting in this thread for this same reason, even though there are dozens of posts I felt I wanted to respond to. This is my way of respecting the family's wishes.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Cam

Thanks for joining in the debate @andartop. Maybe some people feel the 'man' has transcended from mere mortal into an almost demi-god? I don't know. But people are clambering for information and in the void that exists, people will try to get it anyway they can.

Let's look back to when Senna had his accident. The push for information on his status was huge - and this was before online 24/7 news and twitter. Fans wanted to know. They demanded to know. Granted, that didn't play out as long as this, but we can see similarities. We can see this still occurring to this day with speculation and requests for information on his accident - so Schumacher and Co. have a precedent of what to expect. Whether it's right or not almost doesn't matter.

That was then - this is now. The world has changed. Superstars still exist, yet now we have a direct line to them and vice versa. So what does that mean for fans and the public in general when the line is cut off?

While we all can understand a persons request for privacy in private moments - seeing photo's of Kate Middleton's bare breasts while on a boat, in a very private situation, should be evidence enough that the media and public will get what they want - when you are very public figure, you cannot hide - so perhaps it's better to plan for it?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Phil

To be fair, i dont think anyone is expecting Corrina to be thinking about what the public should or shouldnt know. As a public celebrity, Schumacher has a dedicated group of people responsible for his image, PR etc. I think the issue is rather with 'Sabine Kemm' if anyone, who seems to be that person. Also, again, not even Gary is demanding that fans should be informed. It's about raising the question if fans deserve to. No one is questioning the point that any individual, public figure or not, deserves a certain privacy. The question is more complex as it's weighing up the reasoning on why info, that was being leaked or causing more damaging/annoying rumours/speculation couldnt have been communicated more openly with the fans and what harm it would possibly do to anyone.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

xpensive

MS and manager made their fortune largely through media and the public, but now that is suddenly not interesting and fans are simply denied any information, which begs the question if the media should be re-invited if and when he recovers?

Again, I can't rid myself of the feeling that there are business-interests involved in maintaining the legend for as long as possible.

As for the discussion with the forum's ethics-elite, for what it's worth I fully support Cam's position.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Giblet

Hi expensive, its been a while.

Keep in mind that someone of Schumi's status is going to have insurance, and since the odds of a race driver having brain damage is so high, there would likely be a living will, or at the very least a conversation with his wife and/or family would have been had.

What I am saying is that by proxy of power of attorney or through direct instructions through a living will or DNR document, that we have to assume this is his will or his family acting in the way they think or know he would have wanted.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

xpensive

Yo Giblet, missed you.

You believe that MS wrote in his will they should keep the truth about his condition away from the public for as long as possible?

Somehow I doubt that, but I can understand if prince charming below have incentives in that direction.

Richard

Cam wrote: I agree with him and Schumacher should have his privacy, ...

... this is about a PR machine clamming tight when it suits and opening up when it suits - primarily to make money. The doctors don't have say anything - but the PR machine 'should'.
You agree that Schumacher deserves privacy, but you are arguing the family's motive for privacy is driven by making money?

xpensive

I know I do esteemed moderator, that is the most plausible reason, call me a cynic if you wish.

Richard

The common sense reason is that there is probably no news to report and the family want to grieve in private.

Enough of rummaging in the gutter, inventing nefarious dark deals and shouting about "rights" to intrude on someone's grief. This thread needs some dignity. Game over.