My first post: MP4/17 vs MP4/18

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
F1freak

My first post: MP4/17 vs MP4/18

Has anyone heard anything about differences between MP4/17 and MP4/18?

I've heard/read the following:
-Lower Nose
-More HP engine

Thanks.

Steven
Owner

hi man,
welcome to f1technical !

I've posted something about this in the f1technical forum some time ago:
viewtopic.php?t=129 (it states that Mercedes will produce a top of the notch engine... ;)

Furthermore, I should say that during this winter, Ferrari's chief gearbox engineer left the team to join McLaren, to work on a brand new gearbox for the MP4/18. I do think the car will be a significant step forward, and I even more hope so. Honoustly I'm tired of Ferrari winning all the time, and I really love the look of the cars that Adrian Newey has been designing during his career!

Likewise,
I've been following F1 for about 12 years and have been a McLaren fan since the Senna days = cant stand Ferrari. I cant wait for them to unleash the new car and take down Ferrari's stranglehold.

Mini Bernie
Mini Bernie

I hope McLaren can catch Ferrari as well, but I don't want to swap
one dominant car for another...

I've heard that the new McLaren advances the twin keel concept, to integrate it even more with the bargeboards.

Also expect an even more exagerated coke bottle shape, due to the 'Ferrari inspired' gear box.

I've also heard a rumour that Newey has routed the exhausts through the diffuser, as he did before. completely throwing current trends out of the window, should be interesting.

cheers
Bernie

Just saw somewhere that the MP4/18 will be testing May 21st. Let the countdown begin!!!!!

imraboss1
imraboss1

mclaren desparately need HORSEPOWER BOOOOOST.

Hi,

It is strange to see MERCEDES-BENZ illmore lagging behind in terms of horsepower as compared to bmw & ferrari engines coz it were they who led the benchmark in 1998 & 1999 Cumm on do something & get some more horsessssssssss as the BMW & FERRARI engines take away everything especially on straight line speeds...............

It is high time that they should come up with a powerfullllll v-10 to catch up ferrari. Coz in terms of Chassis, Aerodynamic design, tyre preservation, Pit-Stop strategy Mclaren is Stillllll the best.

Bye.

More details now on Mclaren website.

Here's an extract of the press release now posted on Mclaren.com:
"The MP4-18 incorporates a number of visible differences. These include a shorter and lower nose, a more tightly packaged rear and a slight dorsal fin shaping to the engine cover. In addition the new Mercedes-Benz engine, the FO 110P V10, has been lowered within the car, producing centre of gravity benefits."

The release says that images will be available later this afternoon!!!!

Here is first picture!!!

arisen

Here's a hires pic

http://www.formula-one.net/pics03/velke/20-05-1b.jpg

No periscope exhausts tho. That makes me a bit nervous, because I imagine routing the exhaust through the diffuser is a tricky business, and requires more track testing.

Steven
Owner

my god! what a car I must admit :)
I'm really impressed by the rear part, it's more fixed at narrowing the back than lowering it, contrary to Ferrari it seems to me.
Notice by the way the front wing and its end plates... the shape is just like Coulthard was testing a front wing this winter (see another topic somewhere on this forum), and actually the end-line of the front wing, I mean between the tips of the front wheels where the front wing ends kind of make me think of a bat, black, pointy and curved between those points.

Although some minor parts of my point of view... I do like the current colour scheme more that on this MP4-18, and that nose cone just looks so much un-Newey-ish :shock: It makes me think he's been very busy with the back of the car :wink:
Anyway, looking forward to tomorrow, because one pic is no pic :lol:

arisen

How about the holes on top of the side pods… Warming up the rear Michelins with air from the radiators maybe?

Steven
Owner

can't see any holes... painted a little too black :roll:
I'll check it out on more pictures

F1freak

RE: Holes on side pods.

Cant see them either?!?!? It seems that there is something on the tail end of the side pods - check out hi-res pics on f1-live.com. Not sure it they are holes. Almost look like exhaust outlets (I know that's not what it is but that's what it looks like to me.)

arisen

They’re placed at the end of the sidepods indeed, where the Renault and Jordan have the “chimneys” but they’re not raised…

Anyway, hopefully will see more pics tomorrow.

McLaren Mp4-18 on track!!!