2014 Testing - Bahrain 27 Feb - 2 Mar

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Blanchimont

Re: 2014 Testing - Bahrain 27 Feb - 2 Mar

Updated graphs now with Vettel's 2013 race and the 2014 testing sims of Rosberg, Bottas and Magnussen.

The fastest 47 laps stats:
Vettel 1:18:05,6h
Rosberg 1:18:53,2
Bottas 1:19:18,5

Used tyres:
Vettel(2013) M H H H
Rosberg(2014) S S M
Bottas(2014) S M M
Magnussen(2014) H M S

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

mclaren_mircea

It happend every day since 28 January. You can't say that on day 1, day 2, day 4 they were pushing the limits of the car while others were not pushing. The other Mercedes cars had race simulations, and had by far less problems than Mercedes. I may be wrong, but it's only an opinion, but I repeat it's to much to have problems almost every day. From the front of the car to the back of the car, from the brakes to the gearbox and electric systems, it really to much. Don't be to shocked if they retire with both cars in Australia. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any hate towards Mercedes, because they might finish all this Vettet "terror" (joke :D ) from 2010, and that's what we all of us are hoping. I wish them luck if they change something at the sharp end of the grid, but my idea is that if you have problems every day from Day 1 of the first test to the last days of the last test, there is nothing that can tell us they will have a trouble free Australian Grand Prix 1.

Phil

+1 Blanchimont!

Am I reading it right in that it seems, the 2014 test numbers most probably have been running a bit lighter on fuel, hence the quicker times compared to VET2013? On the VET2013, it's nicely visible how the times came down across the 4 stints. On the 2014 stints, the times seem to be rather comparable, so probably 3 race sim stints with similar fuel load?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

beelsebob

Interesting – the implication of this graph is that this year's cars are indeed faster in race pace, but of course gain speed less quickly as fuel burns off for obvious reasons.

I assume that Rosberg had to go into super fuel saving mode for his final stint here.

dren

I don't think so. He was also on the medium tire for his last stint.
Honda!

danielk

+1 Blanchimont.

From the graph can clearly see that Mercedes are faster than the Williams and Mclaren over race distance.

But can also see that this years cars are faster at the beginning of the race than last year, but as the fuel burns off Last Years cars are faster towards the end of the race. Much of this i assume will because of the baseline car being heavier this year. The cars start as approximately the same weight as last year when fuel is taken in to account so it appears these engines are actualy putting out more power than previous years?? or at least cars are indeed travelling faster when on equal weights, its only when the mass of the cars is lighter that last years times start to get faster. If that makes any sense :D

dren

danielk wrote:+1 Blanchimont.

From the graph can clearly see that Mercedes are faster than the Williams and Mclaren over race distance.

But can also see that this years cars are faster at the beginning of the race than last year, but as the fuel burns off Last Years cars are faster towards the end of the race. Much of this i assume will because of the baseline car being heavier this year. The cars start as approximately the same weight as last year when fuel is taken in to account so it appears these engines are actualy putting out more power than previous years?? or at least cars are indeed travelling faster when on equal weights, its only when the mass of the cars is lighter that last years times start to get faster. If that makes any sense :D
Probably more to do with the tires. In 2013 they didn't last too long at the start and were already worn after qualifying on them. They also had more fuel in the tank over a race distance, so the drop in weight over the race was greater. The minimum car weight was less last year. We also don't know if teams were taking on fuel between tire changes during their testing sims.
Honda!

myurr

Phil wrote:+1 Blanchimont!

Am I reading it right in that it seems, the 2014 test numbers most probably have been running a bit lighter on fuel, hence the quicker times compared to VET2013? On the VET2013, it's nicely visible how the times came down across the 4 stints. On the 2014 stints, the times seem to be rather comparable, so probably 3 race sim stints with similar fuel load?
Impossible to tell, could be that the first three stints for Rosberg were with equivalent to starting with full tanks, as they do correspond broadly to Vettel's race pace just a little bit quicker. For the final stint they could then have topped up the fuel again. Equally they could be lighter in all stints except the last and just playing around with the setup, giving the variation in pace.

Also don't forget that the 2014 cars start the race slightly lighter than the 2013 cars but that the weight reduces more slowly. So we'd expect to see more tyre degradation from carrying more weight for longer, and less increase in speed in subsequent stints. However the tyres are also more durable, etc.

Either way that looks like some solid race pace from Rosberg both in relation to the other 2014 cars and to Vettel last year.

danielk

dren wrote:

Probably more to do with the tires. In 2013 they didn't last too long at the start and were already worn after qualifying on them. They also had more fuel in the tank over a race distance, so the drop in weight over the race was greater. The minimum car weight was less last year. We also don't know if teams were taking on fuel between tire changes during their testing sims.
Rosbergs second stint is also faster than vettels second stint. The teams were doing race sims so would think they wouldnt be taking on fuel.

CHT
CHT

dren wrote:

Yes, tires are a big factor as Vettel were running harder compound as compare to rosberg S and M.

myurr

CHT wrote:Yes, tires are a big factor as Vettel were running harder compound as compare to rosberg S and M.
Tyres this year are harder, so the medium is broadly equivalent to last years hard in terms of durability and pace (admittedly in very basic terms).

mclaren_mircea

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

@Pup

What do you think about this impressions from the track today? I apreciate you a lot as a Mclaren fan :D

"12:58 Raikkonen is in the pits once again, and from trackside BEN ANDERSON has noticed some interesting points at the exit of Turns 1/2:

"Very inconsistent upshifts from the Ferrari coming out of T1/2. The Mercedes cars are a lot smoother, particularly McLaren. Sutil is getting wheelspin through T2."

13:05 From trackside, BEN ANDERSON tells us that Magnussen "looks more aggressive" than Bottas and Rosberg into the hairpin that leads onto the backstraight. The McLaren and the Mercedes are running at a similar pace at the moment, while Bottas is lapping around 3s quicker in the 1m40s."

dren

myurr wrote:
CHT wrote:Yes, tires are a big factor as Vettel were running harder compound as compare to rosberg S and M.
Tyres this year are harder, so the medium is broadly equivalent to last years hard in terms of durability and pace (admittedly in very basic terms).
And more durable, so they may be able to push harder for longer.
Honda!

Pup
Pup

mclaren_mircea wrote:@Pup

What do you think about this impressions from the track today? I apreciate you a lot as a Mclaren fan :D

"12:58 Raikkonen is in the pits once again, and from trackside BEN ANDERSON has noticed some interesting points at the exit of Turns 1/2:

"Very inconsistent upshifts from the Ferrari coming out of T1/2. The Mercedes cars are a lot smoother, particularly McLaren. Sutil is getting wheelspin through T2."

13:05 From trackside, BEN ANDERSON tells us that Magnussen "looks more aggressive" than Bottas and Rosberg into the hairpin that leads onto the backstraight. The McLaren and the Mercedes are running at a similar pace at the moment, while Bottas is lapping around 3s quicker in the 1m40s."
Thanks - this may be one of the posts Richard decides to move, but I do think it's a good car - though we have to take them at their word that it's not the best right now.

Avocado

Test report:
Programme

For the final test of the pre-season, our drivers will spend alternate days in the cockpit of MP4-29, providing them with equal opportunity to sample the new components that will be fitted to the car for the last two days of the test.

Consequently, Kevin Magnussen drives Thursday and Saturday, with Jenson driving Friday and Sunday.

Without any new parts to evaluate, the first two days of running will focus on mileage and reliability: Kevin spent the morning in Bahrain undertaking a series of short, set-up runs. After the lunchbreak, he completed a full-race distance, and fitted in some further set-up work.

The engineers also took the opportunity to run through a series of prove-outs, testing the car while running it on the pitlane speed-limiter, and doing practice starts.
Can't wait! :D