Azerbaijan? Really??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Azerbaijan? Really??

Fulcrum wrote:Will it be flat from 16 all the way to the end of the lap?
Not sure if flat, but they will probably not use brakes at all

I´m wondering if that might be too fast. I mean, I´d love it to be too fast, but I can see FIA sudenly introducing a chicane half straight to reduce top speed because going around 350kmh between buildings and even trees might be considered way too dangerous.

I couldn´t blame them for that tough, as I actually think that would be too dangerous. A crash at those speeds can bring unintended consequences. Imagine a car losing a wing after a collision and taking off at those speeds between buildings and trees... :wtf:

That´s one of the reasons I hate urban tracks, safety is compromised wich means racing is compromised too. At least if they want to be consequent, but they´re FIA so who knows

OneAlex

notsofast wrote: While it may be true that change comes from within, I believe that it does so after people are exposed to other cultures and other values. I suppose it's a fine line between enabling change and supporting an existing regime. If we don't try to find where that line is, then we won't achieve anything. I don't know if an F1 race is an appropriate way to enable change, but doing nothing certainly is not a solution either.
That's true, and ultimately I suppose F1's presence will shine a light on the country for both good and bad. Hopefully it will go down well with the population of Azerbaijan too, as it was becoming more pro-European until Putin started causing trouble again.

It's just frustrating that a country slipping backwards in terms of civil rights and democracy just as it was slowly starting to move forwards and start engaging with Europe is able to buy its way into an F1 calendar that seems happy to abandon traditional tracks for ones located in more autocratic countries for the sake of profit. Baku could well have been a future European city, now the title "European GP" just seems to be another Bernie agitation.

hollus

notsofast wrote:
a1b2i3r45 wrote:I guess you are right, just found a simulated picture.

http://a.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigita ... igh.75.jpg
That balcony! How much would you pay to stand on that balcony?
If you have to ask for the price, then you can't afford it! ;-)
Rivals, not enemies.

PlatinumZealot

OneAlex wrote:I actually hate myself for wanting to watch this race. I feel like I'm putting aside all my morals regarding human rights and enabling the Azerbaijan system to have the prestige it's paid Bernie for all for the sake of wanting to watch cars go round the pretty scenery.

I'm sure people will say "sports isn't political" but we all know that's rubbish; political and national prestige comes second only to money in sport.

Still, I suppose the country is better than Bahrain, the UAE and Russia at least...
And Europe is a shining beacon for Human rights, right? Check history and read about countries like Belgium did in the past... I l believe there.

Anyway, onto the track layout. I see a lot of posters saying they hat 90 degree turns. 90 degree turns are actually great to watch an F1 car go through if done right. The right width, camber, and sequence of turns can give the suspension a good workout and force the drivers to rotate the car a bit more to get the best line...
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 05 Jun 2016, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u

we're talking about ANNO 2016, and perhaps you should inform yourself about the 'crimes against human rights' that Azerbadijan is facing from human rights consuls.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

The crimes against human rights are not that bad as made out - could be worse.

But I think this page should be read before we question Formula 1 for heading to these countries:

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-we ... tices.html

Statement of Commitment to Respect for Human Rights

1. The Formula One Group is committed to respecting internationally recognised human rights in its operations globally.

2. Whilst respecting human rights in all of our activities, we focus our efforts in relation to those areas which are within our own direct influence. We do so by taking proportionate steps to:

(a) understand and monitor through our due diligence processes the potential human rights impacts of our activities;

(b) identify and assess, by conducting due diligence where appropriate, any actual or potential adverse human rights impacts with which we may be involved either through our own activities or as a result of our business relationships, including but not limited to our suppliers and promoters;

(c) consider practical responses to any issues raised as a result of our due diligence, within the relevant context;

(d) engage in meaningful consultation with relevant stakeholders in relation to any issues raised as a result of our due diligence, where appropriate; and

(e) respect the human rights of our employees, in particular the prohibitions against forced and child labour, the freedom to associate and organise, the right to engage in collective bargaining, and the elimination of discrimination in employment and occupation.

3. Where domestic laws and regulations conflict with internationally recognised human rights, the Formula One Group will seek ways to honour them to the fullest extent which does not place them in violation of domestic law.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Juzh

Andres125sx wrote:

I´m wondering if that might be too fast. I mean, I´d love it to be too fast, but I can see FIA sudenly introducing a chicane half straight to reduce top speed because going around 350kmh between buildings and even trees might be considered way too dangerous.

I couldn´t blame them for that tough, as I actually think that would be too dangerous. A crash at those speeds can bring unintended consequences. Imagine a car losing a wing after a collision and taking off at those speeds between buildings and trees... :wtf:

That´s one of the reasons I hate urban tracks, safety is compromised wich means racing is compromised too. At least if they want to be consequent, but they´re FIA so who knows
Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Gaz.

Juzh wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Lets not get ahead of ourselves.
He raises an interesting point, if they don't lift for T19 then they have a 2.2km drag from T16-T1 at full throttle. It will be interesting to see how much downforce the teams/drivers will use and if the FIA are happy with the speeds they reach after FP1.
Forza Jules

mrluke

Andres125sx wrote:

ChrisDanger

mrluke wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

http://thearticlewebsite.co.uk/wp-conte ... IOM-TT.jpg
Is that the race where three people died this year? Unsure of your point. :?:

mrluke

Its the race that is now attracting more spectators than half of the F1 calendar. It is also the race where competitors do 200mph between houses and street lamps for almost an hour straight with only a bit of leather for protection.

We are talking about 20 of the "best drivers in the world" wrapped in millions of pounds worth of the latest and greatest safety gear potentially hitting 200mph for a handfull of seconds on practically a 3 lane motorway.

I am not saying that we need deaths for it to be exciting but lets get some perspective here.

Andres125sx

Some people looks like enjoying dangerous races with deaths. Morbidity has always been too common in us humans

I do prefer a safe race where those almostsuperhumans don´t risk their lifes unnecesarily, so I can see them performing for many years

Andres125sx

mrluke wrote:We are talking about 20 of the "best drivers in the world"
Sorry to say this but.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Put Michael Dunlop on a MotoGP or SBK bike, and I´ll bet a good amount of money he will be dead last

There´s a reason IoM winner never competed on any international series, that´s not a race for fastest riders in the world, but for the biggest balls or smallest heads/minds (not sure how do you say it in english), depending on how do you look at it

F1 is supposed to be about fastest drivers and cars, not about most risky competition like IoM is, so you´re comparing aples to oranges.

WaikeCU

Andres125sx wrote:
mrluke wrote:We are talking about 20 of the "best drivers in the world"
Sorry to say this but.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Put Michael Dunlop on a MotoGP or SBK bike, and I´ll bet a good amount of money he will be dead last

There´s a reason IoM winner never competed on any international series, that´s not a race for fastest riders in the world, but for the biggest balls or smallest heads/minds (not sure how do you say it in english), depending on how do you look at it

F1 is supposed to be about fastest drivers and cars, not about most risky competition like IoM is, so you´re comparing aples to oranges.
I think if you want to think it that way, then Hillclimbs would be the equivalent to the IoM of F1. Even though Baku is a street course, modifications have been applied for safety reasons. Barriers, fences and such.

BanMeToo

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm hillclimbs are way safter than IoM. IoM is in a league of its own.