Mclaren is in trouble

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jgredline

Mclaren is in trouble

This season is shaping out not to be between JPM and Kimi, but Mclaren VS midland or red bull junior. Not good. not good.
To finish first, first you must finish.

Sawtooth-spike

what? why?, i have yet to see random holes in there body work, Like i have on other teams. The Mclaren will be up the top like always. and if they are not right away they will be half way into the season.
2 things you can count on in f1, Ferrari are red and mclaren are fast
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Not in the mid 90's, they weren't!
...Fast I mean.

As for Ferrari, they are always red...
Except for one time or another when they raced in yellow. :wink:

-T

Mclaren will always have a fast car, the question is wether mercedes benz can provide them with an engine that will be powerful enough to make the mp4-21 go fast.

Take for example honda. Lets face it, they won't be as competative as we've seen them in testing if they didn'y have a really good engine.

Sawtooth-spike

yeah the 90's, ok, Fast (Except for the 90's)
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

dumrick
dumrick

We can only check real paces the time the season starts. Otherwise, Arrows would have won a couple of championships...

jgredline

Mclaren lost another engine today.
Don't get me wrong. I am JPM fan all the way and want to see him win.
The Mclaren itself is a great car is is likley the best. The Mercedes engine is what I am concerned about. Last count I ready this would be like the 10th V8 they have lost. I will look for the link and post it.
To finish first, first you must finish.

..tetopelis
..tetopelis

wow that many...i don't think so. all i have read is they have had fuel pump problem and electrical glitches..i have never read anywhere that thier engine actually had a failure..and they were once doing a simulation of stoping the car on track during one of the tests..so i don't think any of the V8 has actually gone up in smoke..but true at that the engine is not up to pace as of yet...sad actually..they have such a beautiful car, yet the engine is letting them down..but if we know mclaren..they can turn around any bad situation good in a less time then a whole season takes..just need to see the 2004 season..where they started out with an abismal of a car(mp4-19)...but ended up with a car that was chasing for wins 3/4 way through the season (mp4-19b)..and if kimi's words are rite..thier engine problem solution is already in the pipeline..hopefully it will be done by the season start.
what i don't understand is how come the mercedes derived engine in the mclaren seems to be so fragile every season??..its amazing. and it all seem to start once the berrillium ban came into place..anyone with a deduction??

manchild
manchild

That could be tactics Daimler Chrysler uses to buy Mclaren as cheap as possible (ruin and by cheap). I think that BMW had same intention with Williams, thank god they've left!

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

That's an interesting conspiracy theory Manchild. I suppose if they can cope with the negative publicity of crappy engines until they buy McLaren then OK.
I'm fairly sure though that Mercedes won't be able to do it. McLaren are too big a company. BMW failed with Williams and they are smaller. Good on Frank fro standing up to them. It was pretty bad the way BMW kept slagging of the car.

GuestAgain
GuestAgain

As far as I know, they have not had an engine failure yet. They have had an electrical problem, a simulated stop on track and other niggling problems with any new car but as far as I am aware no reported engine failure.

jezzwa

I have heard rumours that Mercedes are completely rethinking and rebuilding their V8's right now, is that true?
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

Scuderia_Russ

I read in yeaterdays Autosport that not only have they had engine failures but they are going to have to wait three weeks before their new V8 development parts become available!! The whole operation looks like it's falling to bits! I reckon it's going to be 2004 all over again. Are we going to see a race to get Schueys Ferrari seat between Montoya and Kimi?!

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Parts failures are to be expected during the development of a new engine. But there is also a development schedule. If McLaren fall behind on their development because they can't design and build replacement parts quick enough, or that more failures are happening than anticipated, it would be big trouble. Renault proved how important it is to have a well-developed car at the start of the season, it gave them a car that didn't let them down all year.
I study the drivers, and how they are reacting. Montoya is shopping around for next year already, and Kimi will not commit to McLaren.
I would not be the least bit surprised to see both of them gone at the end of the season.

DaveKillens wrote:Parts failures are to be expected during the development of a new engine. But there is also a development schedule. If McLaren fall behind on their development because they can't design and build replacement parts quick enough, or that more failures are happening than anticipated, it would be big trouble. Renault proved how important it is to have a well-developed car at the start of the season, it gave them a car that didn't let them down all year.
I study the drivers, and how they are reacting. Montoya is shopping around for next year already, and Kimi will not commit to McLaren.
I would not be the least bit surprised to see both of them gone at the end of the season.
I don`t think we will have to wait all season. Decisions will be made around Imola or Spain, at least Kimi. Last year it was 3 bad races and KR was practically gone from the WDC hunt if you look back now.