What can be done to make the engine louder?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

Re: What can be done to make the engine louder?

If you think this engine formula is bad, wait for the next one.

Three cylinder, tri-turbo diesel engines or something along those lines :)

Then after that, so small engines you can hold them in your hand.

Last edited by SectorOne on 19 Mar 2014, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

feni_remmen

We used to put flickers of plastic on the forks of our BMX's to flick against the spokes of the wheels as they spun. The noise was great. Maybe F1 should consider that. They could be made out of Carbon if normal plastic isn't high tech enough... + It would work great with DRS...

Gridlock

Actually I'm keen to hear Formula E, weirdly...

And +1 for spoke flickers, except that Newey will gain 10 df points somehow.

Manoah2u

why all the negativity about making it louder? instead of whining it should not be louder because its not efficient,
and going all sarcastic, perhaps the question the OP posted isn't that bad at all.

maybe it should be a bit like this:

"What are the possibilities to enhance engine volumes, within the current rules and without losing out on actual efficiency?"
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

McG

Thanks but I'll stick with the original thread title.
F1 is dead.

mrluke

Holm86 wrote:And I don't see how a taper on the exhaust pipe like a megaphone would increase sound volume either.
I cant think of a good reason for it not to work? Admittedly i'm not sure how effective it would be.

MOWOG

:P
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Gridlock

mrluke wrote: I cant think of a good reason for it not to work? Admittedly i'm not sure how effective it would be.
I assume if it made the cars louder without robbing energy from the PU you'd have violated the laws of thermodynamics, and we respect those in this house ;)

Shrieker

NTS wrote:They should just pick a better place for the microphones for the TV recording and mix that channel a little louder. The sound is not nearly that bad in the videos shot by viewers of the testing, so the TV guys did something wrong.
First thing that should be done. The testing videos were much better than the Melbourne race weekend in terms of engine sound.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

el-Magico

Shrieker wrote:
NTS wrote:They should just pick a better place for the microphones for the TV recording and mix that channel a little louder. The sound is not nearly that bad in the videos shot by viewers of the testing, so the TV guys did something wrong.
First thing that should be done. The testing videos were much better than the Melbourne race weekend in terms of engine sound.
And how is that going to help for the people sitting next to the track?
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

langwadt

el-Magico wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
And how is that going to help for the people sitting next to the track?
nothing but, ~100000 spectators vs. ~30 million TV viewers

adrianjordan

SectorOne wrote:If you think this engine formula is bad, wait for the next one.

Three cylinder, tri-turbo diesel engines or something along those lines :)

Then after that, so small engines you can hold them in your hand.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-K-58cX0fL2g/U ... ferHD1.JPG
If they can get 600+bhp out of that thing I'll be most impressed..!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

SectorOne

adrianjordan wrote:If they can get 600+bhp out of that thing I'll be most impressed..!!
Considering the power has gone down with downsizing you are looking at about 2 horsepower tops.

But 950 horses in pure ERS-K ;)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

rich1701

I know Mclaren spent a considerable amount of R&D making sure the exhaust note on the mp4/12c sounded right. Nobody should underestimate how important engine sounds are for the Motorsport enthusiast.

There are things that can be done... And when race attendances fall, Bernie will want to change the rules.

FoxHound

Could it possibly be that one dastardly Bernard Ecclestone, had some if his "people" configure the FOM sound feed?
His views on these engines are well documented, why not fiddle the system to drive your point home?

On my trek home this evening, even talksport radio had a section dedicated to the lose of noise in f1.
And a couple of callers who'd been to the race said the noise was perfectly acceptable and even better, they could have a conversation!
Who'd have thunk it?
JET set