What can be done to make the engine louder?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: What can be done to make the engine louder?

mrluke wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Why on earth would you make the engines louder? Louder engines implies wasted energy, which is exactly the opposite of the goal of the rules.
What part of a megaphone style exhaust would waste more energy?
Uhhh... I'm not even sure this deserves a response.

xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

rich1701 wrote:I know Mclaren spent a considerable amount of R&D making sure the exhaust note on the mp4/12c sounded right. Nobody should underestimate how important engine sounds are for the Motorsport enthusiast.

There are things that can be done... And when race attendances fall, Bernie will want to change the rules.
A road car exhaust system is long, has resonators, mufflers, crossover points, multiple orifices, butterfly valves. Etc, etc.

All of which can be tuned to give a certain character and all of which reduce orifice noise. The more --- you put in the way the less energy the gas has when it gets to the orifice.

An f1 exhaust, when you boil it down, is a short bit of pipe and thats it. Basically its as loud as its going to get.

The only way to make it louder is to burn more fuel, more quickly. The larger and more frequent the bangs, the more noise.

Simple really.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Listen to the start of this videos, the echoes in the forest. This is what is missing at the moment, the wall of noise. Also this is filmed years ago on sub standard audio/video equipment and still sounds amazing. Its a sad thing that you have to make the trackside speakers better to make it more appealing to people.

thomin

What can be done to make the engine louder?

In motor sports, form should always follow function with noise being a variant of form. Artificially turning up the volume on an F1 engine would be like bolting on a fake plastic diffuser...in one word: Pathetic.

flmkane
flmkane

xxChrisxx wrote:
rich1701 wrote:I know Mclaren spent a considerable amount of R&D making sure the exhaust note on the mp4/12c sounded right. Nobody should underestimate how important engine sounds are for the Motorsport enthusiast.

There are things that can be done... And when race attendances fall, Bernie will want to change the rules.
A road car exhaust system is long, has resonators, mufflers, crossover points, multiple orifices, butterfly valves. Etc, etc.

All of which can be tuned to give a certain character and all of which reduce orifice noise. The more --- you put in the way the less energy the gas has when it gets to the orifice.

An f1 exhaust, when you boil it down, is a short bit of pipe and thats it. Basically its as loud as its going to get.

The only way to make it louder is to burn more fuel, more quickly. The larger and more frequent the bangs, the more noise.

Simple really.
So the solution would be to increase the fuel flow rate and increase the fuel limit, AND remove the rev limiter?

I agree.

strad

Alright,,,,We weld two of them together and make it turbocharged V12s but for the greenies keep the ERS crap. Image
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

zenji
zenji

You could use spoked wheels, utilise clothes line peg clipping strips of cardboard to strike the spokes with frequency.
Whilst the process takes place the driver adds 'broooom' sounds vocalised with a loud hailer.

el-Magico
el-Magico

strad wrote:Alright,,,,We weld two of them together and make it turbocharged V12s but for the greenies keep the ERS crap. http://s22.photobucket.com/user/STRAD2/ ... 6.gif.html
Not a bad idea at all, 'just' make a 3.2L V12 BiTurbo with the same ERS =D>
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

bauc

feni_remmen wrote:We used to put flickers of plastic on the forks of our BMX's to flick against the spokes of the wheels as they spun. The noise was great. Maybe F1 should consider that. They could be made out of Carbon if normal plastic isn't high tech enough... + It would work great with DRS...
Hhaha, The good old days......Our BMX's sounded like a Moto GP bike
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Gaz.
Gaz.

FoxHound wrote:Could it possibly be that one dastardly Bernard Ecclestone, had some if his "people" configure the FOM sound feed?
His views on these engines are well documented, why not fiddle the system to drive your point home?

On my trek home this evening, even talksport radio had a section dedicated to the lose of noise in f1.
And a couple of callers who'd been to the race said the noise was perfectly acceptable and even better, they could have a conversation!
Who'd have thunk it?
The safety car was unusually quiet in Melbourne wasn't it, and nor do you normally hear the track PA system during the quiet times of qualifying, free practice or a red flag situation. So yes I think there is some agenda driven foul play.
Forza Jules

aral
aral

Maybe the FIA should contact some of the local cowboys / boy racers, who can manage to make their Civics sound like v 10s :wink:

void

Just set the rule of fuel usage per race and maximum fuel flow to make cars running at 15000 rpm almost all race.
Or put some kind of this Image with an V8 on the straits! :mrgreen:

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

I spectated at Melbourne friday and saturday, as a F1/engine geek I enjoyed the new sound because so much was going on...but...they are very quiet. The local v8 touring car series cars are louder...now looking at this objectively it shouldn't matter, but unfortunately in my opinion is does.

The whole atmosphere of attending a gp is completely different now, as i said earlier i'm a f1/engine/motorsport geek, I'm going to attend year in year out no matter the sound, but I wonder how many casual fans will. Every year I would notice large groups of people attending the race only to sit in front of a big screen on the golf coarse some 20m or so from the track..I always wondered why anyone would do that, pay the inflated price only to watch it on the screen, this year I somewhat understand, its the atmosphere, the wall of sound.

Buy hey, I miss the sound of the v10s hitting top gear at WOT, life moves on.

ringo

The energy efficiency thing shouldn't really have a place in this formula. It's should be in some other more road relevant formula. I don't see the impact of using 30% less fuel for 22 cars for 20 races. There's no point to do this for more than a year.
They need to increase the fuel flow limit, let it increase with engine speed, increase tail pipes to two trumpet shaped tubes angled 30 degrees outward, and have blow off valves to atmosphere mandatory.

At the end of the day F1 is a show, no one will care how much barrels of gasoline were saved or how much brake energy was harvested. Even watching the Aus GP I didn't even remember the cars had KERS. there's no graphic of kers usage or MGUH usage, nothing. So what's the point?

The thunder needs to return to F1.
For Sure!!

subasurf
subasurf

NTS wrote:They should just pick a better place for the microphones for the TV recording and mix that channel a little louder. The sound is not nearly that bad in the videos shot by viewers of the testing, so the TV guys did something wrong.
Agreed 100%

Thing is though, I'm liking the fact I can hear the crowd and the tire squeels when they lock up into a corner.

Yeah I miss the classic sounds of the past....but Christ, some people just bitch and winge about the sound way too much.