Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: Haas - American team in F1

These videos are still fresh in our minds, wonder what creative humor this one is going to generate from the (UK) fans and how many Nomex eating bets are going to be placed. Anyway F1 in US is always a drama as with Austin F1 construction.

Wish we have someone like hairy_scotsman to camp outside Hass's factory

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMh3qu5GtZA[/youtube]

aleks_ader

Article: Honda and Ford could power new F1 teams in 2015
from link below wrote:Meanwhile the Haas Automation entry could utilise Ford branded Cosworth engines, the English firm has recently opened a new office in Detroit and developed its own power unit for the 2014 season, but refused to put it into production without a OEM partner.
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... s-in-2015/
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

aleks_ader wrote:Article: Honda and Ford could power new F1 teams in 2015
from link below wrote:Meanwhile the Haas Automation entry could utilise Ford branded Cosworth engines, the English firm has recently opened a new office in Detroit and developed its own power unit for the 2014 season, but refused to put it into production without a OEM partner.
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... s-in-2015/
I really hope so. The historic cennection between FORD and Cosworth is legendary.

History of FORD + Cosworth (until sale) http://www.allf1.info/engines/ford.php

Cosworth interview form return into F1:
There had been some design work, simulation and analysis done by our engineering staff and there had been some discussions, some of which were fairly recent, about whether there wasn’t a team or teams plural that were willing to sponsor the development,” Reisiger explained.

“But given the scope of the work and budget that’s required, it wasn’t something Cosworth was prepared to undertake independently. If one of those discussions came to fruition, and they still take place, it’s still something we’d be interested in that we’d need to be in collaboration and partnership with an OEM or team or teams.”

So would that leave the door open to an F1 return down the road? In a word, yes.

“Absolutely we would (want to),” Reisiger said. “I think that we provide a very cost-effective solution for people to be on the grid. We have the ability to excel from a performance standpoint. Decisions take place fairly frequently; it’s a matter of whether or not it makes sense for teams, OEMs and/or Cosworth. We’d look forward to the right opportunity if we could find the right collaboration.”

Potential Cosworth programs could also appear in sports car racing and/or another form of motorsport down the road. Further information from our conversation with Reisiger today will follow in a separate post.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

donskar

This is only good for F1. It will increase US interest in F1 even more, create jobs, open up more seats (possibly for an American driver), add a chassis manufacturer, bring some new color to the grid. There is always the possibility that the team will fail completely, and the probability that it will not challenge the established teams, but this new team is unlikely to be worse than Marussia/Caterham. Change is good.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Pup
Pup

I have no desire for Haas to become a "USA" team. They should pick their engines, staff, drivers, HQ location, etc. based on what's best for the team, not because they want to foster a national identity. I'd rather they simply be a team that happens to be owned by a US company. I think that alone is enough of a US identity to suit the fans and any sponsors who might care about such things.

Of course, if going with Cosworth saves them money, or gives them a Ford sponsorship, then no one can blame them for taking a look in that direction. And of course, given what we've seen so far this season, we also have to consider that the Cosworth engine might possibly be better than the Ferrari.

PlatinumZealot

WilliamsF1 wrote:These videos are still fresh in our minds, wonder what creative humor this one is going to generate from the (UK) fans and how many Nomex eating bets are going to be placed. Anyway F1 in US is always a drama as with Austin F1 construction.

Wish we have someone like hairy_scotsman to camp outside Hass's factory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMh3qu5GtZA
AWWW mang... those videos were funny as hell lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FW17

Pup wrote:I have no desire for Haas to become a "USA" team.
So you would be opposed to this livery :D

Phillyred

From a purely competitive aspect I'd prefer Haas to just be "Haas F1" with a Merc or Honda PU and not go overboard with the whole we're USA fanfare. If they're gonna dive in to this sport they better be willing to spend $$$ and not half-ass it. I don't want to be embarrassed again even though I will still favorite Hamilton. AND, I hope they get at least one F1 "veteran" like Heikki K. etc.

SoCalWJS

I'm trying to be optimistic about this. Haas is a well established racing team, so I think they should have a leg up on the other recent entries, but that may strictly be a product of my hope. It will be interesting to watch as they assemble their team. I would hope they at least hire somebody as a consultant who has a good F1 background. Ross Brawn?

Jersey Tom

SoCalWJS wrote:I would hope they at least hire somebody as a consultant who has a good F1 background. Ross Brawn?
There are piles of great engineers with F1 background living in the US. As I alluded to in some other post though, many are probably locked up by NASCAR teams and/or are people no fan has ever heard of.

The more I think about this, I like their approach. It makes sense to me.

2015: Just prove that you're for real and can get to the grid. Very sensible to use a Dallara-contracted chassis and easiest engine package you can get your hands on. Collect all the track data you can, and as you prove "Hey we're really doing this" you can start collecting up some experienced talent and sponsors as they become available. Doesn't matter if you run back of the pack or not.

2016: In-house built chassis and potentially better power unit supplier, basically a 1.5-2 year development cycle to get this car together while you're running the outsourced 2015 car.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

FW17

JT

You live like 10 miles from the SHR factory!

Hope they get local coverage like Austin GP rather than USF1

tok-tokkie

^^
That's an interesting scenario. Caterham were supposed to be doing something similar but have made no progress. However Haas has real track record in this field so is hardly likely to under estimate what he is taking on - big difference to F1-USA. A season with Delara & Ferrari behind Caterham will do his marketing/publicity arm little favor.

countersteer

Jersey Tom wrote: 2015: Just prove that you're for real and can get to the grid. Very sensible to use a Dallara-contracted chassis and easiest engine package you can get your hands on. Collect all the track data you can, and as you prove "Hey we're really doing this" you can start collecting up some experienced talent and sponsors as they become available. Doesn't matter if you run back of the pack or not.
Completely agree. If they can contract for the power unit, tranny and rear suspension, they'll be more than halfway there.

What are the rules of testing for a new team? How are tires supplied and to what spec? Could they test on GP2 spec tires to prove reliability?

marcush.

to use Dallara as suppplier seems wrong at all fronts to me. Even HRT ,hardly a top notch Team had the Feeling they got a good base coming from them and quickly made the switch to Holzer and Adess_AG in munich(remember how geoff willis was less than impressed with what he found when joining HRT) ....and it has become even more of a challenge to design and package current formula 1 ttechnology.

Adess hhave done a LMP1 design recently so they sure have expertise in Terms of electric/hybrid Systems in house....a second possibility would be of course Mr.Wirths Business or if you are really serious one would have to consider TMG in Cologne -who have all the Expertise and current Formula 1 data (through their windtunnel and testing facility) .
I think Dallara is going to be the biggest uncertainty factor in Terms of System reliability and Performance as they are simply not involved in this Business These days.
And I highly doubt they are doing it any cheaper than the other possible candidates.

As for reliability testing ... again TMG and Adess seem to be in Position to supply the goods here with current LMP machinery and Expertise.You can test Subsystems ,layouts and Software strategies with a lmp1 car just as good .Just shove the complete f1 PU into the back of your Chassis and you are quite there....Is there any Limitation for testing sportscars?

Tim.Wright

I think Dallara could be made to work but they might need to be managed in a certain way. I also have reservations about their capabilities to design an F1 car after seeing the HRT effort and the problems with the DW12 indycar.

But I think if Haas take more control of the management of the development, and let Dallara just do the leg work (engineering calculations, manufacture and testing - their bread and butter stuff) then they could reach a decent level. The problems seem to be when people go - right heres loads of money, develop me car.

JT - would you happen to know - is there any significant engineering work done at the Indianapolis R&D centre of Dallara?
Not the engineer at Force India