Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Haas - American team in F1

You can just forget about any Ferrari influence with the HAAS american team.

Forza Rossa will run Ferrari engines, it's connected to a romanian Ferrari dealership, and Colin Kolles will be at the
helm to set it up. So if there is any new team expected to be running Ferrari engines and a Dallara chassis, it'll be Forza Rossa.

Haas has a good partnership history with Honda, so it's most likely that'll be their number one option - however, since
Mclaren is eyeing a solitary position with the Honda engines, this is still up for debate. Then again, one may expect that
the chances of honda having more partners in 2015 isn't unlikely, even more, it's unlikely the new Haas F1 team will be
competing against Mclaren in their debut season, so i think Mcl won't have to be too bothered for Haas to be running F1
engines.

Another option would be the already (partially) developed cosworth V6 Turbo engines, which will get a quick branding as a Ford Ecotec engine. Without doubt Ford would partner up with cosworth and finalize development for a 2015 entry,
so as mentioned, i think Haas will have the option of Ford Cosworth V6T or Honda V6T.

I still reckon the Honda V6T will be the most likely, since you can be 99% positive Forza Rossa will run Ferrari engines, thus if Ford/Cosworth will participate, they'll just be powering 1 team that'll be no doubt a backmarker in their debut season.
Honda however already has a contract with Mclaren, so they already have a team they'll provide, and despite it probably won't matter to Honda much, they'll be keen to be having a 2nd team to provide engines.

and furthermore, i'm doubtfull Gene Haas F1 team will be keen to get their hands on a Ford engine because the former Haas F1 team ran a Lola chassis and Ford engines and was even less successful than HRT.

I can see Haas wanting Mercedes engines, but i'm doubtfull Mercedes is willing to provide even more teams with engines.

Its funny though that Haas' f1 team will be named "Haas Racing Developments" in short is HRD, just 1 letter difference with HRT.

Anyway, Dallara will be eyeing to correct their 'name' in f1 after the Campos/HRT disaster. Fact is though, dallara never was at that much fault, Campos didn't pay and they didn't finish. Only last-minute they got a chassis which essentially was an 'unfinished' prototype. Didn't they run aluminum brakes instead of carbon? General build quality was extremely bad. I actually dare to say that i think the Dallara chassis was (designwise) not that bad actually. Concidering the fact that the exact same car ran for 3 seasons (2010,2011,2012) and having an 'underpowered' cosworth engine still managed to keep close to the financially much healthier and developing virgin/marussia and lotus/caterham team, i think Dallara really didn't do too bad at all.
After all, they finished both 2010 and 2011 in front of the financially much healthier virginF1 team which became marussia.
(WCC standings).

so to be fair, Dallara has a lot of potential which hopefully this time will be put to use. I know ferrari has been mentioned as a link to Haas, but i'm still doubtfull about that.

So imho, Haas Racing F1 Team will be running Honda engines with a Dallara chassis, competing against Forza Rossa F1 - Ferrari of Kolles' and batteling against Caterham and Marussia, though the existance of both latter teams may be doubtfull since Marussia has been eyeing a fusion with Toro Rosso and Tony Fernandes said he might kill the project if they aren't scoring any points this year , and i can't see that happening yet.

so chances are there are 2 new F1 entries for 2015, but that doesn't guarantee 4 additional cars on the 2015 grid compared to 2014. It may be just the same amount of cars. Though i'd like to see 26 cars on the grid.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

oh and anybody thinking there is any interest in a former toyota or hrt chassis is utterly delusional.
since 2014, the f1 format changed from NA-V8''s to V6T hybrids. Not any single pre-2014 chassis is
in any way usable for the 2014+/2015 seasons. So stop that thought process because it's rediculous. :roll:
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

jagunx51

Moxie wrote:
gilgen wrote:Haas is to use a Dallara chassis with a Ferrari engine. Hardly a formula for success.
True, but given the short period of time available, what options does he have? Seasoned F1 teams, with mature infrastructure and development programs have a hard time getting a new car ready for a each year. Lotus testing woes are the most recent evidence of this. For his first season Haas will just need a car that will meet his obligation to compete, while he gets the rest of his program into place.
why dont he apply for 2016 ? at least he will have honda for engine option....
............!!!!

Moxie
Moxie

I don't know the details about how the application works, but I do know that it involves a lot of hurdles, many of which are time sensitive. A few years ago the Anderson/Windsor venture was not allowed to push the project off fo another year.

Petroltorque
Petroltorque

I would add that if the Cosworth project comes to fruition I would bet Marussia would be keen on a supply. AFAIK the Ferrari deal is for one year and the level of competitiveness of that PU might just cost them tenth spot.

marcush.
marcush.

one can only hope to gain current/recent Expertise -sure there is no Point trying to convert outdated stuff to current regs ....even then it is more than unlikely Haas could start up any better than Caterham ,HRT,Virgin ...a looong yourney .
considering the current state of affirs in F1 it seems almost dumb to start fron scratch when Sauber ,Caterham and Marrussia are most likely up for sale for a lot less than one has to fork out to arrive at the same Point....

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

yeah, it does sound a tad more logical investmentwise to use the benefit of an already excisting team, would save a whole bunch of hurdles. However, they are allowed a 12 th grid slot. That means they are allowed to be a new team. I'm sure that should Haas be more interested to use an already excisting base, they'd have opted for buying marussia (which are no longer a car company), or go for caterham or sauber. The fact they chose for a new grid spot instead tells enough.
Even more, the other Forza Rossa f1 team to be given a grid slot is starting from scratch, too. Something not unknown to the likes of Colin Kolles.

So I do guess they're up for the 'long yourney'.

But, it would be a good thing for the sport, and it would take the heat away from both marussia and caterham, hell, even from lotus and sauber for that matter. A Forza Rossa and Haas F1 team starting from the very back would instantly release
CAT and MAR from 'backmarker' status. With the new engine formula it would make 'reliability' a great factor for final race results.

I welcome it. I do expect Gene Haas to do better than USF1, which to this day still saddens me a bit, because i would geniunly would have liked to know how the actual car would have performed should it have come to completion (they got a tub and nose).

FW17

Maybe Haas could get Chevrolet excited.

would like to see this guy (on the left) back in F1

dren

I'd like to see Honda power HAAS. I'd also like to see them with a better chassis than a Dallara. I'm not so sure Caterham wouldn't sell them one, or the team.

As for drivers, I have no idea what they would do. I'm guessing they would want at least one driver from the States. Probably some young up and comer. Then maybe somebody with experience that is still on the grid or recently has been.

HAAHHHHHHHHS F-yeah! fighting to save the mutha f-ing day yeah!
Honda!

aleks_ader

Bell leving Merc, could be chance for Haas to get experince in new fouded team?

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3092 ... -mercedes/
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

FW17

"This is not going to be a European just-throw-money-at-things-and-go-racing (approach)," Haas said. "This is going to be an American, well-run, efficient organization.

"We're the most advanced country on the planet, so I don't see any reasons why we can't do this."

Haas explained his decision to start Haas Formula during a 75-minute news conference Monday at a hotel near the future site of his F1 team – the campus of his Stewart-Haas Racing NASCAR team

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

As an American, I sincerely hope that quote is taken out of context or misquoted altogether. Sounds quite arrogant and stupid.

Burgess
Burgess

If that is his attitude, then oh dear.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Yeh, this'll be a disaster if he's trying to set this up with a shoe string budget. If he thinks that none of the european teams are being efficient with the money that they do have he's in for a shock.

xpensive
xpensive

WilliamsF1 wrote:
"This is not going to be a European just-throw-money-at-things-and-go-racing (approach)," Haas said. "This is going to be an American, well-run, efficient organization.

"We're the most advanced country on the planet, so I don't see any reasons why we can't do this."

Haas explained his decision to start Haas Formula during a 75-minute news conference Monday at a hotel near the future site of his F1 team – the campus of his Stewart-Haas Racing NASCAR team
Sounds like USF1 over again if you ask me, I think MrE will be his biggest sponsor, with a base in Charlotte little doubt?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"