Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like it?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Yes.
16%
No.
70%
Maybe a bit.
14%

Total votes: 135

FrukostScones

As standing starts after an SC period in 2015 are a (nearly) done deal, I ask myself can it even get nuttier? After the spark plank and trumpet trials. Is F1 really tht desperate? Really sad. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114529
Also I think standing start rule will can be misused to create (even more) artificial drama. By just making a normal yellow to a SC period. I think the number of SC periods we see will rise due to this sh*tty rule.
And on the technical side, can the cars take 2 or more standing race starts in one race? And there will be accidends, aren't SC phase there to reduce the risk of accidents. All in all it will be a lottery because of the manipulating potential, the technical probelms that could arise and crashes and contacts after a restart. I don't know why the big teams will allow this?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

astracrazy

Re: Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like

can you imagine the disadvantage of having to start off line after 30 laps of racing with all these marbles?

Your going to get a complete cluster fck in the pits because everyone will want/need to restart with new tyres.

what a mess

NTS
NTS

I love it! With used tires and from a standstill I expect drivers struggling, which is a great moment to separate the "meh" from the hero's =D> Let them show what they can do, how well can they control the car and who has the biggest balls in the new "second-first corner" fight.

BanMeToo

It's farcical, on par with fake spark blocks. The FIA is doing a good job this weekend to start attracting more 7 and 8-year old fans

iotar__

No or rather don't care so voted "maybe". I would never come up with it on my own as some option in racing but ultimately it's rather minor, it will take some time and will a bit of a mess but that's all. The fact is nothing is happening after SC these days. Good point about a clean side but aren't marbles limited? Pirelli is steering towards 2010 Bridgestones with one stops everywhere as requested by uninformed audience/RB so it won't be a big deal.

Of course it's only a part of pretending that they're tackling F1's problems. There was nothing wrong with degrading tyres (with some side effects of course) and viewers numbers were higher than today. The biggest problem of F1 is how it's managed (FIA, big teams, FIA) and chaos and lack of competitiveness (finances/budgets) this system creates. Let's pretend it's not the case and make some fake changes instead.

astracrazy

no one will start on old tyres. you'll just get all those who are lucky enough to restart on the clean side leave those on the dirty side behind. you might even get a situation where be get a number of first corner accidents so this repeats itself 2 or 3 times - what fun

its called desperation

you feel sorry for the guy who gets stuck in the pits then re-starts on the dirty side
iotar__ wrote: Good point about a clean side but aren't marbles limited? Pirelli is steering towards 2010 Bridgestones with one stops everywhere as requested by uninformed audience/RB so it won't be a big deal.
I was under the impression pirelli went very conservative this year because of the torque etc. I'd expect them to start moving back to softer tyres going forward. Even so, limited amount will make a huge difference compared to the clean side

GitanesBlondes

astracrazy wrote: I was under the impression pirelli went very conservative this year because of the torque etc.
Power = Torque x RPM

Thanks.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

No Lotus

I think it's fantastic, but risky. The start of a race is always one of the most interesting parts of a race as there's more passing before settling down to an aero-induced train. I have thought for some time that they should have one or two mandatory restarts during a race.
SCUDERIA FASE
2016 Phase 1

Callum

Pretty terrible idea. If they don't like how they restart they should force the drivers to be in pairs going down the nearest, longest straight before letting them go (compared to cars being bottlenecked in the few corners before the safety car line).

This will put a lot more demand on the drivetrain system. From what I can tell, a proper racing start puts a significant amount of stress into the system. It will also lead to overheating if the cars can not cool themselves down enough in the laps behind the safety car.
Last edited by Callum on 20 Jun 2014, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

heidenreich27

Its a good idea, but they should remove fuel restriction and kill Ers and bring Kers back

Aesto

If it means that they won't be wasting 2-3 laps anymore during which lapped cars can overtake, then I guess the impact of the rule is more positive than negative. I also don't see what's artificial about it - there is no intrinsic reason for why restarts should 'naturally' be running rather than standing.

Callum

Aesto wrote:If it means that they won't be wasting 2-3 laps anymore during which lapped cars can overtake, then I guess the impact of the rule is more positive than negative. I also don't see what's artificial about it - there is no intrinsic reason for why restarts should 'naturally' be running rather than standing.
I'm afraid not. From the source: "The idea is that from next year, once lapped cars have been allowed to unlap themselves, cars will form up on the grid once a safety car period has ended."

GitanesBlondes

Aesto wrote:If it means that they won't be wasting 2-3 laps anymore during which lapped cars can overtake, then I guess the impact of the rule is more positive than negative. I also don't see what's artificial about it - there is no intrinsic reason for why restarts should 'naturally' be running rather than standing.
How about the danger standing restarts pose if someone stalls the car and you wind up with situations like this...

IndyCar at Indianapolis 2014

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgrKI2z6moA[/youtube]

1994 San Marino GP start

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQS8M2hCtw0[/youtube]

1982 Canadian Grand Prix start

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_A5O_uWIRk[/youtube]

I could also link to every massive shunt that ever took place going into turn 1 because the field was bunched up with guys jockeying for position and driving into disappearing gaps.

Monaco 1980 start

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS8a7-Uj_Ck[/youtube]

Everyone who has watched F1 for a long time knows that the start of a race and the first lap will always be the most dangerous.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

BanMeToo

This will make the 2-hour race timer too short as well, waste a bunch of god damn time mucking about with a second parade lap and which grid slot do I need and uh-oh the dumb rule caused a first-corner crash so let's waste 15 more minutes setting up another restart........... right in the middle of a race??? Wake up folks.

It also takes away hugely from the spectacle of a standing start at the beginning of a race where it belongs.
Last edited by BanMeToo on 20 Jun 2014, 18:27, edited 4 times in total.

rssh

IMO all the cars should be on the pit limiter as soon as race control decides the safety car to come in no weaving or harsh braking. As soon as the 1st car presses the limiter off (before safety car line) every car pit limiter should automatically be turned off as well. This would be better than restarting the race and the driver will be bonkers on were to stop on the gird on the box. This is more a poor and illogical move by incompetent FIA and others than the double points in the last race.