Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like it?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like it?

Yes.
16%
No.
70%
Maybe a bit.
14%

Total votes: 135

beelsebob

Re: Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like

rssh wrote:IMO all the cars should be on the pit limiter as soon as race control decides the safety car to come in no weaving or harsh braking. As soon as the 1st car presses the limiter off (before safety car line) every car pit limiter should automatically be turned off as well. This would be better than restarting the race and the driver will be bonkers on were to stop on the gird on the box. This is more a poor and illogical move by incompetent FIA and others than the double points in the last race.
That sounds like a recipe for no one ever passing after an SC restart.

Aesto

Callum wrote:
Aesto wrote:If it means that they won't be wasting 2-3 laps anymore during which lapped cars can overtake, then I guess the impact of the rule is more positive than negative. I also don't see what's artificial about it - there is no intrinsic reason for why restarts should 'naturally' be running rather than standing.
I'm afraid not. From the source: "The idea is that from next year, once lapped cars have been allowed to unlap themselves, cars will form up on the grid once a safety car period has ended."
Oh for crying out loud :x I really don't get why they just don't just let every other car overtake the lapped cars and then retroactively add one lap to their lap count. Or are their computer systems not equipped to handle that? :roll:
GitanesBlondes wrote: How about the danger standing restarts pose if someone stalls the car and you wind up with situations like this...

[...]

Everyone who has watched F1 for a long time knows that the start of a race and the first lap will always be the most dangerous.
Well yeah, but if you follow that reasoning regular standing starts should be replaced by rolling starts as well. Yes, starts are the most dangerous parts of the race, but that's just the way it is. I'm sure a lot of people watch F1 just because of the potential of crashes. In many ways, F1 drivers are like modern-day gladiators. I'm sure that in ancient Rome, there were also some hardcore fans who were more interested in the intricacies of gladius- and tridens-technology :mrgreen: , but most of the crowd just wanted to see the carnage. F1 is always a balancing act between the spectacle and what is deemed an acceptable level of risk.

Fortunately modern F1 cars are safe enough that serious injuries are extremely rare, so I also don't see the reason for fear-mongering with those old videos.
rssh wrote:IMO all the cars should be on the pit limiter as soon as race control decides the safety car to come in no weaving or harsh braking. As soon as the 1st car presses the limiter off (before safety car line) every car pit limiter should automatically be turned off as well. This would be better than restarting the race and the driver will be bonkers on were to stop on the gird on the box. This is more a poor and illogical move by incompetent FIA and others than the double points in the last race.
Now THAT sounds like it would ACTUALLY be dangerous. Drivers not knowing when their cars will accelerate :wtf:

bdr529

What if the Massa Perez accident in Montreal happened a few laps earlier, would they have a standing start with 2 or 3 laps left in the race? or would they be more inclined to just keep the safety car rolling for the rest of the race

What if the leader of the race has a 30 or 40 sec lead on the second place car, he's got to give that all up and fight it out to the first corner again. I'm not really big on that, at lest with the rolling single car start the leader can get the jump on the field

if I would change anything about the safety car, it would be just that, the car get rid of it and use something faster like a single seater

adrianjordan

So let me get this straight.

There's an accident that warrant the Safety Car coming out. The reason for the Safety Car is that it controls the field and makes it safer for the Marshals and any other staff attending the accident, am I right?

So what they're now proposing is that they will bring out the safety car, control the field while the staff are working and THEN bring the field to a halt for a restart..??

Why not simply stop the race whenever there's an accident big enough to warrant the Safety Car?? Apply a limiter to control the pace of the cars back to the grid, stop the race until the accident is cleared up and then restart the race. I cannot see the logic in still having the field drive past the accident if they're going to have a standing restart anyway. Okay so it means that they'll need to turn off the engines etc, but surely that would still be far safer than lapping under the safety car when they're going to stop for the restart anyway...

What am I missing??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Pierce89

adrianjordan wrote:So let me get this straight.

There's an accident that warrant the Safety Car coming out. The reason for the Safety Car is that it controls the field and makes it safer for the Marshals and any other staff attending the accident, am I right?

So what they're now proposing is that they will bring out the safety car, control the field while the staff are working and THEN bring the field to a halt for a restart..??

Why not simply stop the race whenever there's an accident big enough to warrant the Safety Car?? Apply a limiter to control the pace of the cars back to the grid, stop the race until the accident is cleared up and then restart the race. I cannot see the logic in still having the field drive past the accident if they're going to have a standing restart anyway. Okay so it means that they'll need to turn off the engines etc, but surely that would still be far safer than lapping under the safety car when they're going to stop for the restart anyway...

What am I missing??
What are you missing? This is the FIA. That's what you're missing.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

bhall II

You know how an animal will sometimes twitch for a few moments after it dies? Double points, exhaust megaphones, sparky skid blocks, and standing restarts are Formula One's post-mortem spasms.

Aesto

adrianjordan wrote:So let me get this straight.

What am I missing??
I was thinking about this as well, as it really would have helped after the first Safety Car in Canada, with the debris and oil from the Marussias right on the racing line. I think the main problem with this concept is brake, tyre and engine temps, which need to be managed. This requires team personnel to be on the grid, as well as a warm-up lap. That's quite a significant delay. That's another problem in itself: many TV stations have quite a rigid schedule, and if an F1 race drags on significantly longer than expected, they won't be too fond of that.

If all these problems can be solved, I think that red-flagging races instead of sending out the SC would be a good idea, but that's easier said than done.
bhall II wrote:You know how an animal will sometimes twitch for a few moments after it dies? Double points, exhaust megaphones, sparky skid blocks, and standing restarts are Formula One's post-mortem spasms.
Bahrain and Canada were easily the best two races in the last five, possibly even ten years. All this doomsday-talk is getting old :roll:

bhall II

Buy a few million televisions, and maybe your sensibilities can single-handedly end F1's precipitous decline in viewership numbers.

MOWOG

You know how an animal will sometimes twitch for a few moments after it dies? Double points, exhaust megaphones, sparky skid blocks, and standing restarts are Formula One's post-mortem spasms.
That's quite droll. :wink: Pithy, even.
Bahrain and Canada were easily the best two races in the last five, possibly even ten years. All this doomsday-talk is getting old
Your comment is accurate enough. What I think you may be missing is those races were exciting IN SPITE of all the bullshit "spice up the show" machinations of the sport's leaders, not because of them. Even a broken clock is right twice a day....... :?
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

GitanesBlondes

Aesto wrote: Bahrain and Canada were easily the best two races in the last five, possibly even ten years. All this doomsday-talk is getting old :roll:
You know why Canada was exciting to people?

Because for a day it mimicked the old days of F1 when mechanical reliability was not assured of for most races. Some on this forum cry that mechanical breakdowns are no fun, but then think Canada was the best thing ever because of the Mercedes mechanical failures.

But what we have currently, and with all of the pending ideas to improve "the show" is not racing. F1 has little to do with racing any longer as I've said in other topics. It also doesn't resemble a sport. Most sports while they may tweak certain things, do not go to the extent F1 does.

Ratings will continue to plummet till the only people left watching are the diehards.

As bhall mentioned, F1 is currently experiencing its death rattle.

You guys need to go watch the WEC. They essentially are what F1 was 10 years ago.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

Vettel Maggot

It is becoming sad to see what is happening to my favourite sport. It's truly upsetting to see what it has become. Can you imagine if FIFA started bending rules each World Cup? They need to embrace social media more and do a fan survey or they will kill this sport.

I have found myself watching more and more WEC and the Blancpain Series for GT3 cars. It is just drivers and cars racing and overtaking without that lingering artificial feeling. The sound of the different GT cars is also a pleasure to listen too.

Harsha

Its time for FIA to get the socks up if not they have to loose their Golden egg by breaking itself , Lot of People want RACING not a ARTIFICIAL SHOW

feni_remmen

I've long let go of the pretence that f1 is a sport, but I still feel like any system that makes it harder for the best car and best driver to win is rubbish! If it's a sport, make it fair! These schemes seem to further undermine any remaining credibility. I can barely cope with safety cars and the unfairness that comes with that. If you've worked yourself into an advantagous position, surely the sport should be designed to allow you to keep the advantage!

Chuckjr

The central anchor point for these pathetic FIA integrations is greed and nothing else.

The people who run F1 racing do not care if the best driver is crowned. They don't care about the history and intangible values inherent within the European race tracks. Essentially they don't care about any of the valid concerns this websites members (for the most part) depend in their deep love and appreciation for this sport.

All these fiends care about is money. They care if TV ratings were at peak the whole season. They care if a drivers image is "sellable". They care about shoving more races into the calendar at locations where nobody cares about racing...all in an effort to generate more and more and more money. Look to that as the motivation and all of this farcical nonsense makes complete sense.

At the end of the day, since F1 is now run by pure greed, the motivation for the rules will have greed as it's life source and no common racing sense can be engaged to find understanding.

I concur with most of you in a desire for a return to authentic racing and what F1 at one time was...but the sports world has become a materialist concern only consumed with materialist ends.

Trying to understand these motivations in authentic racing terms is like trying to understand the motivations of a 4 year old 20 min after eating a 1 pound chocolate bar.
Watching F1 since 1986.

timbo

If they want more passes after SC, why not just make stricter rules for the leader? Make him follow SC until the first SC line at the normal distance, not like it is now: the leader can play cat-n-mouse for half a lap and start accelerating whenever he likes.