Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like it?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like it?

Yes.
16%
No.
70%
Maybe a bit.
14%

Total votes: 135

Mamba

Re: Standing starts after an SC Period in 2015, do you like

GitanesBlondes wrote:
there's a whole new breed of moron F1 fans out there who have no idea who John Barnard is.
I am one of those new F1 fans and I do not like the way things are going at the moment... Perhaps it is people who do not embrace change who are the problem... That being said that change must not change the core of the sport. Racing should be the core... leave the aero and all that jazz alone, that is also part of the core... If you revert back to the old days we would end up in a even worst place. I best horrific crashes were good and regarded as entertainment...
Do not criticise where non is needed. Yes things are not entirely ideal but what can we do but hope that some sense would return to F1...

MAMBA

Cam

SectorOne wrote:
Cam wrote:So answer me this - by pushing a car and driver to their absolute limits, would you not find out who the best drivers are?
(in formula 1)

No i think there´s many more factors involved in determining who the best drivers are.
For example we haven´t had flat out racing in years but i think it´s quite easy to see who the best drivers in the field are.
Really? I'm confused by it. I see Vettel and Kimi struggling, yet I know they're great drivers. I see Perez up there, yet I've never really rated him at all during his F1 career. It's this aspect of 'it's the car, stupid' that does detriment to the driver. With all the 'coasting and saving' you never really know if a driver is on the limit or not. If all the drivers were on the limit all race, would that then answer the question of who's the better driver? Probably not completely, but I think you'd see more errors emerge and rather than seeing 'who's the fastest', I think we'd see 'who's the best under max performance' - if that makes sense?

Which is why this standing start is not a good idea. Luck plays too much a part in the end result - I don't want that. If I want luck to play a part in a result, I'll go throw money at the GG's.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

tuj
tuj

When did this become NHRA?

heidenreich27

I think it will be great ;D, but what about ERS Aka Overtaking Stopper

Cam

tuj wrote:When did this become NHRA?
lol - I'd suggest somewhere between not understanding the fans, failure to grasp current trends, inability to fully consider rules and most importantly, the conflict between profit and sport. Yep, somewhere in there. Who knows, perhaps F1 becomes a hybrid sport of a few racing laps mixed with start line drags? Certainly seems that's the direction.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

RicME85

Cuky wrote:I don't get why there is a SC than if they will need to stop on the grid for a restart.
One reason...MONEY.

Mercedes PAY the to have their car used as the safety car.

Moxie

I know one of my fellow nerds knows this statistic: Of all F1 standing starts (start of race and red flag) what percentage of them result in a first or second corner crash?

This rule will have a major impact on car design and team strategy. I made a wise crack in another thread about 22 top fuel dragsters racing to the first corner over and over again in a knockout competition. Of course that was an exaggeration. However, what has already been a shift toward quali and the race to the first corner, will be magnified with the new rule. Frankly the actual road racing portion of the event will become anticlimactic.

And if that isn't cynical enough for you...remember when Flavio Briatore directed Nelson Piquet Jr. to intentionally crash to bring out the safety car???

Clearly, the FIA did not think through the consequences of this rule change.

acosmichippo

I've always thought safety cars were silly and already too artificial, but I accepted it because it's an anachronism from a time with less sophisticated technology. They should be working to use technology to preserve the race and safety as much as possible, but they're doing the complete opposite. I am honestly flabbergasted that all of the teams have agreed to this.

I think they could easily work out a system to start the cars from the pits in the last recorded time intervals (perhaps to the nearest second or so). So if you had a leader who earned a 10.333 second lead, he would be allowed a 10-second head start out of the pits. But if you had a group of guys all within a second of each other, you could just let them go all at once. Also, prevent any tire changing or repairs during the stopping period - essentially make it parc ferme until the race is resumed.

This way everyone is as safe as possible, and the race will resume in more or less the same status as it stopped.

TzeiTzei

So we're spicing up the show again. Don't like it.

SectorOne

Cam wrote:Really? I'm confused by it. I see Vettel and Kimi struggling, yet I know they're great drivers.
Yea you know they are great drivers because flat out racing is just one little part in determining how great a driver is.
And it´s not like kimi has never struggled before with the front end of his car.
(and that was during a flat out period i might add)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

FrukostScones

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114737

reading this strongly recommended...

this is utter rubbish.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

gray41

Anyone worried about the potential lack of proper running at places with high SC rates?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Sombrero

A good opportunity to see new crashgates...

SectorOne

I´m gonna develop ticks if these people get to decide more about how F1 should be.
I´ve yet to come across a business model that say you should in fact. bite the hand that feeds you.

Edit: they don´t even listen to the drivers anymore.
Ricciardo was asked whether the drivers were consulted prior to the rule being given the green light.
"We did, we all pretty much disagreed as far as I am aware," Ricciardo said at a Red Bull event prior to this weekend's British Grand Prix.
"I will let the veteran drivers speak their minds. I said I don't think it is the best thing, we will see what other drivers say about it."
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Cam

Sombrero wrote:A good opportunity to see new crashgates...
100%. This is what worries me too. Also, it's just the contradicting rules and focus that F1 keeps pushing to fans...
James Allen wrote: The spirit of this rule (rather like any innovation in chassis design a team introduces which others cannot copy) is that if one manufacturer has the edge he should be allowed to enjoy the fruits of his hard work for a season, but then the others will be allowed to close up next season.
James' comment referred to the PU homologation - but the principle is the same. The sport set the rules (whether we agree or not) to give one team, who found an advantage, the ability to "enjoy the fruits" - but in reality on track, these rules are being changed to ensure random outcomes while diminishing any lead over the pack. Confused much? That makes two of us.
― Socrates