The thrill of speed: influence of the camera

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
turbof1

Re: The thrill of speed: influence of the camera

Changed the topic title to something more appropiate.
#AeroFrodo

Gaz.

I feel a bit cheated now with my 'widescreen' tv...
Forza Jules

strad

The long lenses they use to cover the track rob us of the sense of speed.
One camera can cover the whole straight and often with pan, around a corner.. much cheaper for them but it robs us of the sensation of speed.
Things were better back when they needed a truck load of cameras closer to the action
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

agip

As a first-person shooter player (quake) I can say that it has to do with F.O.V (field of view). The more fov you have, the more sensation of speed. And its not just in Monaco.

hollus

In the tunnel, the top quarter of the video window literally makes the difference between day and night. Cover it with a peice of paper or something when watching it a second time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9yoPqvy ... lpage#t=37
Rivals, not enemies.

knabbel

Don't forget, that the average TV screen is now twice the size compared to 10 years ago.

Cold Fussion

Does anyone know what sort of cameras they're using for the onboard shots, and how they're mounted? There's very little vibration coming through on the modern cameras, and none of the sort of rolling shutter effects typically seen on action cameras like a gopro.

Blanchimont

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/Erga ... t-2012.pdf

The 2012 appendix contained some drawings of the camera and the mountings, look for the pages 51 to 55.
On page 52 there is an annotation that says "camera body secured in position with foam".
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

xDama

Great thread!

You really see a difference starting from 2009. I've always thought the cars looked different on-board since then, but I never really noticed the difference in the screen. After seeing the comparison between the cameras between 98-13, it's obvious the lenses make a big difference!

I think it would be nice if F1 would experiment more with new types of on-board shots/cameras/. The broadcasting could really improve with it and in recent years the technology has evolved a lot. The thermal cameras e.g. are amazing.

Something different I'm quite curious about is the http://www.oculus.com/. It's going to be a completely new experience for simracing e.g, but I was also wondering what it would be like to watch an onboard F1 race with the Occulus... :)
Last edited by xDama on 01 Oct 2014, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

agip

Last edited by agip on 01 Oct 2014, 01:18, edited 4 times in total.

strad

I swear my GoPro gives a better shot.. But then I LOVE my GoPro
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

agip,
that's way better HD than the crap NBC peddles
Sir Stirling Moss

Hobbs04

I've been an F1 fan since I can remember. My father raced formula fords as a child in Colorado and watched every race I could growing up. After moving out and being able to afford cable tv I remember getting back into the sport. I've often chased the high of which we speak. Specifically I remember a race where I literally fell in love with F1 again. This was back in 2006 ish I always liked SPEED tv because they re ran the race on the Tuesday afternoon because I had no DVR back then. The race I'm looking for I cannot find on YouTube or watching the season review DVD.

This race sticks in my head because the sheer speed of the cars rounding a long left hander. I think it was Istanbul turn 8 but not sure. The camera shot was a wide shot from far away that stayed stationary and you could see the massive g force as the car ran wide almost snapping sideways. I'm pretty sure it was 2006 because the McLaren had the horns around the airbox.

Unfortunately FOM doesn't allow old footage on YouTube. The style that they portray the cars currently sweeping left to right with the speed takes away from "the show"

Hobbs04

Eau Rouge Overlap - Forumla 1 vs FIA GT cars:
[youtube]Eau Rouge Overlap - Forumla 1 vs FIA GT cars: http://youtu.be/Ex5dhhpSHCw[/youtube]