VW Enters.................

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: VW Enters.................

Frozen engines is just not what is required.

Just like the chassis team is spending on new piece of carbon fiber every year and upgrading it every race; why shouldn't the engine manufacturers to the same?

4 engines a season is another stupid idea. Is there a rule of 4 upgrades to the chassis a year?

15000 Km testing a season should be allowed wherever they want.

lio007

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/forme ... stieg-aus/

So Martin Winterkorn, CEO of VW group, ruled out to enter F1. Some of his comments:
- At the moment it isn't really interesting for VW group to enter F1
- The recent Austrian GP was disillusioning, he missed excitement and thrill
- Le Mans is more advantageous (in terms of marketing and competition)
- This year 260 000 people attended the event, as many as never before
- In Le Mans the cars drive as many as F1 in a whole season. A manufacturer can demonstrate how reliable their cars are.

Gaz.

WilliamsF1 wrote:Frozen engines is just not what is required.

Just like the chassis team is spending on new piece of carbon fiber every year and upgrading it every race; why shouldn't the engine manufacturers to the same?
Because when they co-wrote the rule book from 2010-2014 they did not want more open development than the current token system and reliability upgrades.

Honda can more that demonstrate that their PU is unreliable to the FIA, Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari so their development is not frozen.

A lot of people assume that more open engine development would close the field, but what if it gives an automotive leviathan like Daimler AG a massive advantage over the comparable minnows of Renault instead?

The other thing is who pays for this development, does the manufacturer soak it all up or do they pass it on to the customers, and if the latter how are Lotus, Williams, Force India, Sauber and Marussia supposed to pay for it? If the former, why would Mercedes want to spend more money on something that already works and won them a championship straight out of the box? Further to this Ferrari are pretty much on a par with Mercedes and didn't even want these hybrid PUs so why would they also want to spend more euros on something that works for them and they proved they could close the gap over the winter with the current token system too.
Forza Jules

Cold Fussion

They already paying for the development, MHPE is not just sitting their idling deciding what to spend tokens on, they are there developing for all combinations of tokens in order to get the maximum performance out of the minimum of tokens.

VFC_Cipher

German car giant Volkswagen is close to agreeing a deal to take over the Red Bull Formula 1 team, says BBC F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan

Take with a metric ton of salt but an interesting read. Also, as a VW fan I like seeing the name on the forum so at least it is on the General Chat page for a few days now. :twisted:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/34297046
:shock: :o :) :D =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

dans79

VFC_Cipher wrote:German car giant Volkswagen is close to agreeing a deal to take over the Red Bull Formula 1 team, says BBC F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan

Take with a metric ton of salt but an interesting read. Also, as a VW fan I like seeing the name on the forum so at least it is on the General Chat page for a few days now. :twisted:

it would be interesting if we had 2 new works teams. VW & Reanult!
197 104 103 7

ScottB

VFC_Cipher wrote:German car giant Volkswagen is close to agreeing a deal to take over the Red Bull Formula 1 team, says BBC F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan

I wouldn't say that much salt, Eddie has a pretty good track record at being right about such things...

Nathanael F1

Very interesting! I have a feeling the VW engine will end up like the Honda for at least the first season, though. Unless they don't use a VW PU until the new 2017 regs.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

JoeE

2018 is the year going by that article. Which is strange with the rule change the year before.

Jonnycraig

ScottB wrote: I wouldn't say that much salt, Eddie has a pretty good track record at being right about such things...
Amus mentioned it a few days ago. Jordan had claimed it as his own exclusive as he regularly does.

People think he's itk because Bernie used him as a convenient source to leak a few titbits out a couple of years ago.

Itchy_digits

So, if as you suggest Bernie used him to leak something a few years ago, that somehow means he's not privy to inside information? I'd say it rather points to the opposite being the case! He may be an interesting character and I'm not saying he hasn't pinched this from Amus but it's hardly like all this has never been mentioned before. You don't suppose he and Amus received the information they have on the matter at the same time? Sorry for the rant but I just don't see the relevance of your comments at all other than taking a shot at EJ.

stuartpengs

Unlikely now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34311819
The EPA said that the fine for each vehicle that did not comply with federal clean air rules would be up to $37,500 (£24,000). With 482,000 cars sold since 2008 involved in the allegations, it means the fines could reach $18bn

Tommy Cookers

won't it all blow over ?

the EPA is actually making a show of warning VW
it has little or no case (VW cars passed the mandatory emission tests, no laws were broken)

coincidentally ? have/haven't VW replaced these models with fundamentally different ones ??? (with EGR for NOx)
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 21 Sep 2015, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

Tim.Wright

I think you will find that adding a defeat device in the code is breaking the law in a big way.
Not the engineer at Force India

dans79

Tim.Wright wrote:I think you will find that adding a defeat device in the code is breaking the law in a big way.
huh?

I don't do emissions tests, but the one time I saw them being done, the actual emissions coming out of the tail pipe where being tested, not data from the ecu. I find it damn hard to believe the ecu can tell when its emissions are being tested.
197 104 103 7