Interlagos - pit lane redesign and possible layout change

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SiLo

Interlagos - pit lane redesign and possible layout change

So I found these on the Autosport forum and thought I'd copy them across here for us to discuss. They show much more development being done at the circuit regarding the new pit lane entry and a new layout added at one of the corners. It will most likely not be used for the F1 races, but is probably for bike racing to give them a larger runoff area.

This shows the new wall they are building to increase the flat floor area for the small chicane to be added into the pit lane.

Here is the old pit lane before it was dug up. You can see just how close it ran to the inside of the circuit.

Just to give you an idea of what it used to look like. Very dangerous entry to a pit lane if you ask me.

This better shows how they are having to increase the flat floor area behind the start straight for the new pit entrance.

You can see just how much they have added, and how big the wall is here.

Most recent pic of the pit entrance so far. (Courtesy of siskue2005)

Looks like turn 10 is getting a new part to the corner, and also is being resurfaced.

The new corner entry for turn 10. Probably won't be used by the F1 lot though.

More
Felipe Baby!

Hail22

Re: Interlagos - pit lane redesign and possible layout chang

Found the only video about the Interlagos circuit upgrades, apologies guys but this video is in Portuguese:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY1-PU9natk[/youtube]

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Ciro Pabón

Hey, thanks a lot. Just in case someone did not notice, that wall is made of reinforced earth.

I remember the thread we had about a couple of racers that died in that pit entrance, perhaps three years ago. No wonder they're changing it. The deaths were by crashes against a huge post I don't see anymore and a retaining wall that has been modified, btw.
Ciro

i70q7m7ghw

MOAR TARMAC RUN OFF!

Seriously, wtf.

FW17

Ciro Pabón wrote:Hey, thanks a lot. Just in case someone did not notice, that wall is made of reinforced earth.

I remember the thread we had about a couple of racers that died in that pit entrance, perhaps three years ago. No wonder they're changing it. The deaths were by crashes against a huge post I don't see anymore and a retaining wall that has been modified, btw.
I think those crashes happened on the left hand kink before the kink at pit entrance. They sorted it out by removing a grandstand on the outside to have larger impact zone and a small complex of left right left sequence for some series.

Cold Fussion

Another classic circuit getting ruined.

Richard

Cold Fussion wrote:Another classic circuit getting ruined.
It's premature to judge that until there's has been race.

Updating that pit lane is long overdue. Cars had to park up on the pit lane entrance at the end of the race and sometimes they rolled back down the hill. I suppose one could say it was a quaint reminder of the old days, a bit like having outside toilets.

wesley123

How exactly is it getting ruined?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

i70q7m7ghw

wesley123 wrote:
From the pictures, they appear to have added a lot more tarmac run off.

The changes to the pit lane are fine, but the addition of run off is a little unnecessary in my opinion, Intergalos doesn't need it.

wesley123

Oh, it got some extra tarmac, boo-hoo. Still not sure how that ruins anything on the track.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

rohit1594

As long as they don't change the actual layout of the track, I don't mind these extended run-off areas.

Moose

Diesel wrote:MOAR TARMAC RUN OFF!

Seriously, wtf.
Given that it's only 3 races since we saw a driver nearly killed by the lack of tarmac runoff, I'm somewhat WTFing at the idea that you're WTFing.

Blanchimont

Interlagos always had a lot of asphalt(next to the track), at least since 2004. Open Google Earth and turn back the time at the circuit.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Just_a_fan

wesley123 wrote:
It appears that for some people change = "ruined".

They forget that every circuit changes over time. All of the classic tracks were different in the past.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

I think the pitlane changes make sense. The kink before the start straight will still be flat so no real change there.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.