2015 Pre-season Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316

Re: 2015 Pre-season Testing

SectorOne wrote:Break downs in testing is good. I´d be absolutely terrified if i went through testing and not a single broke.
Sure.

What I'm saying is not that they have bad reliability, but it's one of the five things I could think of that might conceivably prevent them dominating the 2015 championship (as per the question).

Jordan44

f1316 wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:
2. Tyres may wear more than anticipated with faster cars in 2015: last year's tyres was consciously conservative to counter increased torque and this may have solved Mercedes' previous tyre issue for them; my understanding is that this year's are much the same but the cars are 3 secs quicker, which may uncover that Mercedes still overheat more than others (a factor which would have helped their tyre usage last year on extremely conservative tyres )
I fail to see how this could be a possibility. It's not like Mercedes were average on their tyres last year, they were the best. It wouldn't make sense if they made conservative tyres last the longest and then when they go harsher on the tyres it suddenly all reverses and they become the worst.

Mercedes knew they were going to be the team to beat in 2014. Long before they did any testing with Pirelli. Surely they didn't just chance that their tyre fears from 2013 would evaporate. They must have fixed it somehow.

atanatizante

J0rd4n wrote:
f1316 wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:
2. Tyres may wear more than anticipated with faster cars in 2015: last year's tyres was consciously conservative to counter increased torque and this may have solved Mercedes' previous tyre issue for them; my understanding is that this year's are much the same but the cars are 3 secs quicker, which may uncover that Mercedes still overheat more than others (a factor which would have helped their tyre usage last year on extremely conservative tyres )
According to AMuS 2015 Pirelli tyres has the same compound and the only change is the rear tyre construction in order to increase tire contact patch. This means that, quote: "... the heat is better distributed across the tread. They overheat no longer so in the fast corners and have thus in the slower corners more grip."
Another thing is the fact that they have had some experimental tyres to work on FP1 or FP2 in Brasil, as I recall, isn`t it, so they had some data ... not to mention last year Abu Dhabi test ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

BanMeToo

I thought they tweaked something on the super-soft as well.

f1316

Ok, so as mentioned in the race thread, Pirelli have said that by keeping very similar tyres with quicker cars, what was conservative last year might now be aggressive:

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117443

Regarding Mercedes specifically, my hypothesis is this: Mercedes were always able to get a lot of heat into the tyres quickly, this helped them hugely in qualifying for 2013 but hindered them hugely in the race; It's therefore possible that the much more conservative tyres of 2014 (made much more durable to deal with the increased torque) fixed their problem for them- by getting more heat into more durable tyres they were better at conserving them than others who couldn't get enough heat in to keep them in the correct working range and hence were sliding a lot.

Now, if this year's tyres are much the same but the cars are faster, this inherent quality of Mercedes cars- if indeed still present- might now push them over the working range.

As said many times, I'm not stating this as fact just as a theory. But I really hope it's now clear where I'm coming from because it's not the same as just saying 'oh but their tyre wear was better than others last year '.

Jordan44

f1316 wrote:Ok, so as mentioned in the race thread, Pirelli have said that by keeping very similar tyres with quicker cars, what was conservative last year might now be aggressive:

Regarding Mercedes specifically, my hypothesis is this: Mercedes were always able to get a lot of heat into the tyres quickly, this helped them hugely in qualifying for 2013 but hindered them hugely in the race; It's therefore possible that the much more conservative tyres of 2014 (made much more durable to deal with the increased torque) fixed their problem for them- by getting more heat into more durable tyres they were better at conserving them than others who couldn't get enough heat in to keep them in the correct working range and hence were sliding a lot.

Now, if this year's tyres are much the same but the cars are faster, this inherent quality of Mercedes cars- if indeed still present- might now push them over the working range.

As said many times, I'm not stating this as fact just as a theory. But I really hope it's now clear where I'm coming from because it's not the same as just saying 'oh but their tyre wear was better than others last year '.
It still doesn't explain my thoughts. Mercedes knew they were going to dominate in 2014. They knew the tyre problem would go away. You don't dominant with a tyre wear problem like that. It was their biggest weakness from 2013. I doubt they just ignored it in hope. They didn't get a feel for the Pirelli tyres until the end of the 2013 season, but they were confident of their car very early on during 2013. Do you see what I'm trying to say?

pob

The Pirelli quote doesn't make sense to me anyway: the teams typically get better at handling the tyres as the cars are developed, not worse. I think Pirelli are trying to avoid a repeat of the bad press of previous seasons so will stay conservative until the teams/the fans/Bernie complain about too many one-stop races.

atanatizante

f1316 wrote:Ok, so as mentioned in the race thread, Pirelli have said that by keeping very similar tyres with quicker cars, what was conservative last year might now be aggressive:

Yeah, your fears regarding Merc team could be pretty accurate, both drivers seems to be moaning for some degree about the new rear tyre, particularly ...
Therefore, as AMuS suggested in this article : https://translate.google.ro/translate?s ... edit-text=, they changed their race approach by copying RB 2010-2013 race tactics with sacrificing their top speed in order to get the most DF available hence better manage their rear tyres ...
And now I think they are reacting like RB did in the second part of the 2013 ...

Nevertheless, in worse case scenario maybe they`ll need one more set of tyres than others and bearing in mind their (still) race speed advantage they don`t need to worry to much, isn`t it?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Vasconia

SiLo wrote:
f1316 wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:Can anyone come up with 5 reasons why Mercedes might not dominate 2015?
5. Reliability: looked pretty strong in testing but they still uncovered issues
Only pretty strong?
At least not perfect, they had also their issues so they could have problems during the season, like you know, winning only 15 or 16 races. :roll:

fernando12

Mclaren Box views

mikeerfol

Oh no, not again :lol:

Thunder

Is it Groundhog Day again? :lol: :lol:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

fernando12

Williams pit stops tests

Jordan44

atanatizante wrote:

Yeah, your fears regarding Merc team could be pretty accurate, both drivers seems to be moaning for some degree about the new rear tyre, particularly ...
Therefore, as AMuS suggested in this article : https://translate.google.ro/translate?s ... edit-text=, they changed their race approach by copying RB 2010-2013 race tactics with sacrificing their top speed in order to get the most DF available hence better manage their rear tyres ...
And now I think they are reacting like RB did in the second part of the 2013 ...

Nevertheless, in worse case scenario maybe they`ll need one more set of tyres than others and bearing in mind their (still) race speed advantage they don`t need to worry to much, isn`t it?
One more set of tyres means they're probably going to have to push the engines harder during the race and be flat out all the way, to ensure they keep a reasonable gap after their extra pitstop. So it is still quite a worry.

dans79

atanatizante wrote: Yeah, your fears regarding Merc team could be pretty accurate, both drivers seems to be moaning for some degree about the new rear tyre, particularly ...
You forgot the most important part, why they are moaning. They moaned, because they couldn't get enough heat into them to keep them in operating window. This is mainly do to the cold temperatures seen during testing this year. This could easily be seen as a good thing, because it could be read as they can push harder without overheating the tires.
197 104 103 7