Fan boost! No more holding back!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Fan boost! No more holding back!

Greg Locock wrote:PZ, surely the purpose of the fan is to help generate grip? Or is just to throw stones at following cars? Another downvote I'm afraid.
Who cares? Keep your down-voting pleasures to yourself.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

bdr529

sgth0mas wrote:The car will simply lose it in the turn. Thats another reason why you want the speed aids on straights...its much safer.

Do you remember what happened when Nasr accidentally opened drs while simply warming his tires in canada? And that was on a straight...imagine losing it in a turn while trying to pass someone.
If the means of propulsion to the fan are cut or stopped, the fan wouldn't come to a complete stop immediately,
it would still spin freely for some time, gradually reducing it's effectiveness

sgth0mas

bdr529 wrote:
sgth0mas wrote:The car will simply lose it in the turn. Thats another reason why you want the speed aids on straights...its much safer.

Do you remember what happened when Nasr accidentally opened drs while simply warming his tires in canada? And that was on a straight...imagine losing it in a turn while trying to pass someone.
If the means of propulsion to the fan are cut or stopped, the fan wouldn't come to a complete stop immediately,
You know this how? Whats the gear train driving it? How long is gradual? How near the limit is a driver pushing it when attempting an overtake? Stick your hand on the end of a vacuum, then cut power and see how quickly it drops suction.

Any meaningful downforce will fall away rather quickly unless youre running the fan on hopes and dreams. If a driver is pushing near the limit...they will lose it.

I seriously cant believe this convesation is happening as if some people think its reasonable on a forum supposedly dedicated to technical information.

bdr529

sgth0mas wrote:
bdr529 wrote:

You know this how? Whats the gear train driving it? How long is gradual? How near the limit is a driver pushing it when attempting an overtake? Stick your hand on the end of a vacuum, then cut power and see how quickly it drops suction.

Any meaningful downforce will fall away rather quickly unless youre running the fan on hopes and dreams. If a driver is pushing near the limit...they will lose it.

I seriously cant believe this convesation is happening as if some people think its reasonable on a forum supposedly dedicated to technical information.
I was think of the fan on my desk, the one in the air conditioner at the side of the house, the ceiling fan in the kitchen, the fan in a jet engine, the blades on a helicopter or prop plane, the small cooling fan in my computer, all spin freely after power has been stopped.

sgth0mas

That explains...you still dont understand how it would have to work...

None of those are ducted to create a vacuum huh? They are all purely to move air for forced heat transfer (except the jet)...not to generate a pressure drop in a target region. Now cut a jets engines and see how quickly you drop...and thats still in an open system with no pressure differential between the exit and inlet.

Sadly...i have to ask this. Do you know what a pressure differential means? Do any of the references you mentioned produce a pressure differential?

bdr529

Yes I do understand what pressure differential means,
at work I have to perform the The air infiltration test ASTM E783 - Standard Test Method for Field Measurement of Air Leakage Through Installed Exterior Windows and Doors.
But you are right the examples I gave are not sealed
sgth0mas wrote: Whats the gear train driving it?
My original comment was based on what you said back on page 2
sgth0mas wrote: Lastly...did you seriously compare a turbine to a belt driven fan?
Seeing as I'm wrong I will have to ask you sgth0mas how much suction would be created buy these fans, and then how much and how fast would the loss of this add down force be if the fan stop spinning

Ciro PabΓ³n

PlatinumZ wonders why F1Tech is a shadow of its former self.

Well, man, what can I tell you? You create the threads that make the site.
Ciro

Greg Locock

bdrs529, work out the rotational kinetic energy of the fans, etc, and the power required to maintain a given pressure differential and flow rate. Divide one by the other and you get a rough estimate of the time it'll take for the pressure to drop. More complex calcs will give better answers (obviously the actual answer is a curve of pressure vs time), but that'd do for a start.

bdr529

Thanks for taking the time Greg, I have to meet with some H-VAC guys next week, I'll certainly have to pick there brains

PlatinumZealot

Ciro PabΓ³n wrote:PlatinumZ wonders why F1Tech is a shadow of its former self.

Well, man, what can I tell you? You create the threads that make the site.
I agree.

I don't know if it is just me, but the threads are just empty containers, and the content of them is up to the forumers. Some containers are baskets... some are buckets, some toilets bowls... bottles.. rum flasks.. (any redditer here knows of "the box?" lol) etc.. The problem is people are putting the wrong contents into the wrong containers.

Forumers pouring water into baskets..
Some trying to squeeze a loaf of bread into a thimble.
Some trying to throw mud on the white board
and some trying to piss into the wine glass

Andres125sx

Looks like nobody liked the idea I posted on previous page about an inverted DRS. It works similar to the fan idea, but have none of the problems everyone is discussing here, no prone to fail and if it does youΒ΄d get more downforce and reduced top speed, not sudden downforce drop except on very odd situations, would help preparing the overtake before the straight because they could get closer to the car in front even on high speed corners...

IΒ΄d prefer an aero rules re-thinking, but if it goes about artifical rules to minimize current aero problems, I like this idea a lot more than current DRS

PlatinumZealot

I liked it.. was gonna comment on it too.

mcl
mcl

stop bulshit within F1, no more DRS and NO to this kind of artificial equipment.

mcl
mcl

you know what DRS and all of this stuff is??? this is like a soccer match with scores of 17 to 15 goals in every match artificially just to make it attractive or fun to the people... the sport has to be spectacular itself not that way you proposed....

Manoah2u

mcl wrote:you know what DRS and all of this stuff is??? this is like a soccer match with scores of 17 to 15 goals in every match artificially just to make it attractive or fun to the people... the sport has to be spectacular itself not that way you proposed....
+2.

like allowing players to get a temporal adrenalin boost injection into the veins to speed up if they're between lines X and Y,
and give them an earpiece with an engineer telling them exactly how to run around the competition based upon superfast supercomputer calculations and player profiles. And now give them a go-go-gadget copter to jump higher over competitors or speed up even more through the field, whilst at the same time, blatter demands artificial grass that gets extra slippery along the game, and demand shoes that have super high rubber wear so that every player has to switch shoes atleast 1 time during the game. AND have players wait 30 seconds allowing them to do nothing if they accidentaly slide half a meter too far while making a schwalbe, and get them 5 negative license points where at 15 points they have to quit 5 games and on 20 points their soccer license is revoked for an entire year unless they pay some 100s of millions to blatter.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"