Fan boost! No more holding back!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Fan boost! No more holding back!

I have been thinking how the fan will be controlled. Of course the fan will be standard FIA equipment. The maximum speed is regulated. The fan is only enabled when you are within 1 second of the driver in front. It is up to the driver to activate the fan or not. This will surely eliminate any down-force loss. As for stones and debris... The fan is not that powerful guys... It won't be adding any more upwash than the diffuser makes already... remember it is roughly the same down-force you want to get back.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Manoah2u

wow, holy dead topic revival batman!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

It is not exaclty dead. I have been getting some inbox notices from it as of late, So i suppose people are still reading it. I think the anticipation for the 2017 regs to be finalized draws people to it.

Manoah2u

sure. last post was in july 2015.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Andres125sx

ThatΒ΄s great, isnΒ΄t it Manoah2u? Unlike chats, forums keep threads so anyone can use it when found on a search no matter how long ago it was created

PlatinumZealot

Manoah2u wrote:sure. last post was in july 2015.
Posting is not the only activity people do in forums. Some people just READ, like i said in my post above.

outer_bongolia

I think using a fan and reducing the wings is a pretty decent idea. That would reduce the effects of "dirty air" and enable cars to follow each other a lot closer.

One thing about wanting racing to be "natural", we all enjoy one of the most technologically advanced -ie farthest from natural- racing series (I dare say Le Mans is at least on par). If we wanted to keep things natural, we should ask the teams to catch wild horses (none of that thorough bread thing) and race them.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

PlatinumZealot

Can't edit my orignal post. Photobucket took down the image..

J.A.W.

outer_bongolia wrote: ↑
09 May 2016, 17:20
I think using a fan and reducing the wings is a pretty decent idea. That would reduce the effects of "dirty air" and enable cars to follow each other a lot closer.

One thing about wanting racing to be "natural", we all enjoy one of the most technologically advanced -ie farthest from natural- racing series (I dare say Le Mans is at least on par). If we wanted to keep things natural, we should ask the teams to catch wild horses (none of that thorough bread thing) and race them.
About that "...to catch wild horses..." idea.. is it really sporting.. & who'd watch that.. anyhow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DI3hIaPGdk

As for the technical fan-induced down-force matter, & a return to F1..
well, "Dyson" the pretentious/expensive-gimmickry vacuum/blower-fan mob, would be in, surely?
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Shakeman

A fan is the least good idea to create downforce going. There was a reason why it was banned because it was bloody dangerous to other competitors and spectators in the event of a crash which sent supersonic debris into the air. If you've watched motor racing long enough you know that the maxim, 'if it can happen it will happen', to be a truism.

A much better solution would be to allow variable floor geometry i.e. a controllable flexi-floor with active suspension. If the rules allowed it the teams would be producing ground effect monsters that dispensed with near enough all wings except for some skinny things used for trimming out balance.

The answer to closer racing and more exciting races are not gimmicks like fans or DRS but a fundamental rethink about downforce generation and getting cars closer in the corners to make use of the leading car's slipstream which was my childhood's DRS.

Just_a_fan

Actually, the answer to close racing etc. is a fully specified car i.e spec series. That way the car can be designed with that goal in mind and the teams can't design the cars which prevents them from following closely.

Either that or low downforce.

If you let the teams design the aero you will end up with optimised cars that don't follow well.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Thinking further on the problem of optimization. One way would be to require the teams to demonstrate to the FIA that their design can follow. Make them show downforce figures and distribution in free air, behind an identical car and behind an FIA test object. The design must be able to maintain a given % of it's free air downforce and, crucially, it must maintain its downforce distribution i.e. balance.

The teams can optimise to their hearts' content so long as the design still follows another.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zac510

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
15 Aug 2017, 12:49
Actually, the answer to close racing etc. is a fully specified car i.e spec series. That way the car can be designed with that goal in mind and the teams can't design the cars which prevents them from following closely.

Either that or low downforce.

If you let the teams design the aero you will end up with optimised cars that don't follow well.
What about racing in a total vacuum where aerodynamic drag doesn't exist? :D

jjn9128

zac510 wrote: ↑
15 Aug 2017, 14:06
What about racing in a total vacuum where aerodynamic drag doesn't exist? :D
Imagine the complaints about the noise (or lack thereof) :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Manoah2u

Manoah2u wrote: ↑
02 May 2016, 23:54
wow, holy dead topic revival batman!
AGAIN :lol: