Zandvoort investigating possible return to F1 in 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Zandvoort returns to F1 in 2020 !

Live press conference at 11.00 am local time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K3vLoC ... e=youtu.be

www.dutchgp.com

This morning at Circuit Zandvoort .

The Power of Dreams!

Godius

Re: Zandvoort investigating possible return to F1 in 2018

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

waynes
waynes

Am i right to assume this will be a direct replacement for the Spanish GP date wise? If so i'm already looking at travel options from Manchester.

The atmosphere will be utterly mental with all the Verstappen fans. Great set of lads the Dutch 8)

santos
santos

Are they going to race in this circuit just like it is now? Seems too narrow for F1.

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

At last a challenging F1 track back in the calendar... I hope they will not alter the classic route for safety though...

Wouter

santos wrote:
14 May 2019, 13:28
Are they going to race in this circuit just like it is now? Seems too narrow for F1.
Almost everything is full trottle and there are no places to pass. The entire circuit is much too narrow.
Very small adjustments will be made, but it will continue to be a "train ride". This is what the drivers said.
The Power of Dreams!

Espresso
Espresso

santos wrote:
14 May 2019, 13:28
They are going to make slight adjustments to adapt the circuit for the F1 requirements, including (widening) a banked corner so the drivers can get through it full throttle.

In regard to the Youtube presentation you can (bottom right) activate the subtitles on youtube (Wouters video) and set the translation to your language.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

LM10
LM10

It may sound crazy, but might Max Verstappen indirectly have played a role in bringing back this circuit? He's a big fan magnet and I can't even imagine the dutch crowd and all the spectacle coming with it. As we know, Liberty is seeking for maximum show element.

Looking at the layout of Zandvoort, it looks like the races there would probably be even duller than for example Barcelona.

Bonker T
Bonker T

LM10 wrote:
14 May 2019, 14:43
It may sound crazy, but might Max Verstappen indirectly have played a role in bringing back this circuit? He's a big fan magnet and I can't even imagine the dutch crowd and all the spectacle coming with it. As we know, Liberty is seeking for maximum show element.

Looking at the layout of Zandvoort, it looks like the races there would probably be even duller than for example Barcelona.
This is definitely the case.

Noetiepoerker26

LM10 wrote:
It may sound crazy, but might Max Verstappen indirectly have played a role in bringing back this circuit?
Probably, yes. During his F3 period, Jumbo Supermarkten (F.Y.I. a Dutch supermarket chain. Fun fact, Jumbo's colour yellow is actually exactly the same shade of yellow as Minardi used to have. Frits van Eerd, the owner, has always been a huge fan of Minardi, owns multiple Minardi F1 cars and has his own LMP2 team now) used to be Max's main sponsor. Although not the case anymore, they still back him as a sort of 'gentleman sponsor' and promote motorsport in general. They also serve as one of the main sponsors of the GP apparently.
Two stroke: a little more than half the power, twice as often.

Bandit1216

LM10 wrote:

Haha, do you think so?

The Dutch are a bit strange imo. Not very loyal fans. When the national soccer team plays well, everyone is fan, when they don't, nobody cares. A lot of new F1 fans since Max performs well. I'm fan since that sad weekend in April/May 1994, but I just cannot even talk to those guys calling themselves fan's while they don't know pants about F1. Jos Verstappen was always scrutinized for being in the gravel a lot. I wasn't a crazy Jos Verstappen fan, but I think he had more talent then many would admit. Some guy called M Schumacher was the first to admit this, and he can know. But Jos was scrutinized for not given the results.

Max however can't do anything wrong by many Dutch fan's, even when he clearly screws up. I honestly think he's very, very good. But when he does something wrong, he does, period. Typically Dutch if you ask me, And I'm Dutch, so I think am allowed to say it.

Of course not all Dutch are like this!!! (before I myself get new "fans" knocking at my door)

Zandvoort will probably be a boring race and the logistics around the track will be a very big challenge, to say the least.

Just imo.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

Wouter

How and when you can buy a ticket.
Register on this website from 27 May 2019 and be on pole position to purchase tickets.
Registration is open from 27 May 2019 9am until 16 June 2019.

Registriere dich ab dem 27. Mai 2019 auf dieser Webseite und du gehörst zu den Ersten,
die die Chance haben, Tickets zu erwerben.
Registrierung läuft vom 27. Mai 2019 9.00 Uhr bis 16. Juni 2019.

English. https://dutchgp.com/en/ticketverkoop/

Deutsch. https://dutchgp.com/de/ticketverkoop/
The Power of Dreams!

DiogoBrand

I thought they were trying to make F1 less boring. The fact that they even consider a narrow twisty circuit where it's impossible to fight for position tells me I'm wrong.
That is, unless they think that filming Verstappen fans on the stands will make up for the boredom of the race itself.

Jolle
Jolle

I’ve driven around the track quite a lot and to be fair, only about ⅓ of the 1985 track is still in use today. The old part (start finish straight up until Scheivlak) is quality racing! The new parts aren’t that exciting.

The old part has to change a lot as well, not only to make the track suitable for F1 cars but also to have a good entrance into the current main paddock. The space between the 160 degree Hugenholtz corner and the pit lane on the other side is just too narrow. Good chance they are going to put a 90 degree corner at Gerlag instead.

This would mean probably a lap time from around 1.10, so a pretty short track.

Except for DTM and The Masters Zandvoort has been used for club races, so everything outside the track is still from 1985. So a complete overhaul must be underway.

As long as they keep the Scheivlak corner intact, without the chicane they put there for motorbikes, I will be happy.