Data Theft still alive and well in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
iotar__

Re: Data Theft still alive and well in F1

Jersey Tom wrote:I'd be pretty certain Ferrari didn't ask / tell him to do it. It's actually quite possible someone at Ferrari tipped them off about this.

If someone comes to your team saying "Hey! Look at all this data I nabbed!" then what they've basically told you is, "If / when we eventually part ways I'll be walking out the door with your IP too."
Pretty certain based on what? What you write makes no sense, the opposite does. Why? It starts with Ferrari wanting to hire him, they need an employee and the one working for Mercedes is more valuable. Then as you suggest he himself tries to gain access to some data and Ferrari tip off Mercedes? No:
1. There was no tipping off at all, no indication of anything like that, the process is explained by Mercedes and there's no Ferrari involvement at all. Timing doesn't make sense, too early.
3. Let's say there was: why would they act against their own interests? They lose an employee they wanted (for good?), gain nothing and lose marketing wise by getting implicated in official court documents that Mercedes supplied. Public small scandal starts with Merc suing him, putting Ferrari name and asking for blocking his employment. Where's the logic in that, where is this righteous cooperation against one evil individual you suggested? Come on, they wouldn't do that and if they did that's not how it would look like.
Great article by the ever awesome Adam Cooper, a must to read:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analy ... ygate/?s=1
It starts with obvious Ferrari's reply of distancing themselves from the whole affair which is not credible at all. What do you expect them to say, we wanted to hire him along with some Merc IP but it didn't work out? It looks less serious than headlines suggested anyway.

Influenced by spy fiction ;-): couldn't they give him some false data or wait until he starts working and then get bans and penalties? Probably not because of corporate processes, also Mercedes and Ferrari are allies in keeping engine status quo so that would be too much.

giantfan10

SoCalWJS wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
SoCalWJS wrote:Well, at least we know why Ferrari closed the gap midseason. :D
SMH
Note the big smiley thing? I was making a joke. Ah well, I tried to at any rate. Somebody is bound to bring it up at some point. This is F1, right? There have been scandals before where things like this were alleged to have happened or did in fact occur.
Still learning my way around this forum. I enjoy learning from people who have far more knowledge and insight in F1 than I do, but I am still feeling my way around as to what it is OK to joke around about. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.
Lol. Relax dude... it didnt ruffle mine. I was just being facetious

Shakeman

SectorOne wrote:
Sounds like they should be looking for suspect number 2.
It could be or simply he managed to discover another colleague's logon details. One of my former bosses used to have a little red book with all his login details in it despite everyone being told never to write down the information.

Most security systems don't survive contact with humans.

Mr.G

Speculation 1: You have an engineer with access to valuable data. He tell you that he want to go to the concurrence. He have the know how in his head. You are scared. You use his account to create an "affair" and from now nobody can hire him and your know how is safe.

Speculation 2: Even he is in one of most evolved, top edge research center, he is so stupid to access forbidden data without access rights...

Chose one :)
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts