US Television Broadcasts of Formula One

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Radley
Radley

This coming season will be the third year in a row that NBCSN ("NBC Sports Network") has the broadcasts rights for Formula One in the United States.

The world feed from FOM is in the High Definition video format with Dolby Digital 5:1 audio. "5:1" stands for the five audio channels: Left, Center, Right, Left Surround & Right Surround. The "1" stands for Low Frequency Extension or more commonly known as the Subwoofer. The FOM broadcast crew places their microphones (and video cameras) around the circuits which is mixed down in the FOM broadcast truck. Typically the FOM audio mix is a "mix-minus" which doesn't utilize the Center channel. That is reserved for the different countries to insert their own announcers into their own broadcast. Thus, wherever anyone watches a Formula One race, they should be seeing the same high definition picture with Dolby surround sound and with the announcers in their native language. Here in the United States, NBCSN will broadcast Free Practice 2, Qualifying and the race. FP1 & 3 are available through NBCSN's website, which there are no announcers or commercial breaks. It is just the "raw" world feed. It looks and sounds extremely good.

NBCSN however messes with the audio portion of the FOM feed. It is not the Dolby 5:1 but some kind kind of "down-mix" that isn't even stereo. It might be ok if you were watching Formula One on a cell phone but on my 5:1 system it's absolutely horrendous. This is inexcusable.

In the old days, one could look in the phone book and find the phone number and call NBC Engineering directly. Today, forget it. You can "tweet" the announcers, but that would accomplish nothing. Am I being cruel and singling out NBCSN? I don't think so. Formula One is the premier auto racing series. It is the highest level. I expect a very good presentation. Heck, I pay a premium to receive the broadcasts. The other racing series' in the USA sound pretty bad too. Indy car and NASCAR also are butchered, but then again my expectations are also lowered. On most of the broadcasts, the audio engineers use "high pass filters" on their track side microphones. That means when you see a big NASCAR stocker V8 lumbering down pit lane there's very little bass coming through at home. When you're at the track, it's earth shaking.

Before NBCSN, Formula One was on the Speed channel, which sounded pretty good. Watching FP2 from Monaco was absolutely glorious with the cars echoing off the buildings (in my opinion, the sound from the Free Practices is more "open" than the races, as there are many times where there is just a single car or two on track so the audio isn't "hitting" the audio Limiters as hard as during the races when all the cars are on track).

The sound of the Formula One cars is supposed to be louder this year with changes to the waste gate regulations, but sadly, thanks to NBCSN, I don't think I'll ever know.

End notes:

The track closest to me is Sears Point/Sonoma/Infineon. They have NHRA, NASCAR, Indy car & Pirelli World Challenge. At the track, all of these cars sound great.

NBCSN has "dumbed down" their broadcasts of Formula One. It feels to me that the announcers have been told not to get technical. Steve Machett (ex Benetton mechanic) used to talk about the technical innovations going on. Now they just have him say Pirelli has brought the soft & medium compounds. Leigh Diffey feels he has to fill every second of silence with endless drivel about other sports. David Hobbs is still great but I miss Bob Varsha and John Bisignano. All of this I can live with if at least the F1 cars came thundering through my living room. I know how good it can be. I remember sitting on my couch one day reading the latest Mix magazine. There was an article about NBC doing the up coming Olympics from China. They quoted the NBC engineer in charge of audio that the sound mixed in the truck at the event would be the sound you'd hear at home. There was some talk of bits and dBfs that I won't bore you with, but I thought that sounds cool. So I fired up my system and found that right at that second, there was a qualifying match of women's volleyball being broadcast live. I tuned it in and was stunned by how good it sounded. It seemed like it was just a microphone in each corner of the gym. You'd see someone run on the top left and you could hear her tennis shoe squeak on the floor coming out of my left speaker. But not only that, you could hear that squeak echo through the other loudspeakers. Like a "sound field". Like it's supposed to!

Radley
Radley

Re: US Television Broadcasts of Formula One

Here's the link to that original Mix magazine article:
http://www.mixonline.com/news/films-tv/ ... ore/369210
Rereading it again after 6+ years, I wish that guy was still in charge over at NBCSN.

The last thing that really bothers me about NBCSN's coverage of the Formula One Grand Prix's, is that FP2 will be on one channel, qualifying will be on another channel and the race will be on a third channel. It's very frustrating especially as these changes happen at the last minute.

strad

Before NBCSN, Formula One was on the Speed channel, which sounded pretty good. Watching FP2 from Monaco was absolutely glorious
Don't go saying anything good about Speed or the people around here will tear your head off.
They think NBC is Gods gift or something.
NBC lied from day one when they said they would carry every practice, qualifying and races live. HAH!
I agree with just about everything negative you say about NBCs coverage. It sucks.
I didn't mind Diffey at first, now I could shove a dirty sock down his throat.
Liked Matchette much more before I read his egotistical books...And David,, I love Hobbs like an elderly uncle but he's beyond his sell by date.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

TAG

I've come to find that it's not common knowledge to the rest of the world... but we have (gasp!) commercial breaks during the races. So it's uphill right off the bat.

But now back to the topic. You guys are throwing the baby out with the bathwater for sure. I'm quick to point out the deficiency in the NBCSN coverage but it's not abysmal. Leigh is not an F1 guy but he's likable, Steve Matchett is a sharp guy and picks up more than most but he's so deep in bed with anything scuderia it's painful and David Hobbs is a half step away from senility at this point and should be put out to pasture.

But they've also expanded the "coverage" with Off the Grid with Will Buxton, Will is the only guy that's sent away to races, with the exception of Monaco and Austin all other GPs are covered by the crew in a studio somewhere in SC I think. Will is a very knowledgeable and well connected guy, intricately knows the sport and his passion more than makes up for the lack of depth and understanding of the combined guys stateside. They've also brought HD coverage that SPEED didn't' have. Granted that might have been a world feed issue and not a SPEED issue. They do offer streaming coverage of most of the non televised sessions and do always provide coverage for FP2, and Qualifying and they've greatly expanded post race coverage which SPEED had nothing on. About the sound I think it's not a fair comparison per se because the change from SPEED also correlates to the change to turbo V6 power so it's not entirely possible to have a true apples to apples comparison.

The biggest failing of their coverage is that they'll move the programming to other NBC affiliated channels at the blink of an eye should there be any type of conflicting NASCAR or premier league coverage. I can't wait to see the hoops they'll make us jump through with the Olympics going on.

So you see, it's a mixed bag in my opinion, but then again speaking to folks across the world it's a relatively common complaint not limited to NBCSN coverage.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

strad

But they've also expanded the "coverage" with Off the Grid with Will Buxton,
Will and his sidekick are part of the negatives.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

TAG

Well then that settles it then.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

djos

Yeah I'll be getting my sky F1 via channel Intenet again this year, I have NBC sn via my directv Roku sub but the couple of time I tried watching it I wanted to go postal!

I'm an Aussie but Lee Diffey is a moron and was a moron commenting on V8 super cars too!
"In downforce we trust"

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

Who cares if F1 is "the premier series"...in america its still a very small market. Theres no way it will get the same treatment as NFL, NBA or MLB when it cant touch the regular ratings they produce. It shouldnt get the same treatment just because its popular in other parts of the world. And why on earth would they broadcast coverage in anything but english?

Additionally, ive always gotten FP1-FP3 here in texas on the NBCSN channel...no need for internet.

strad

sgth0mas wrote: Additionally, ive always gotten FP1-FP3 here in texas on the NBCSN channel...no need for internet.
Yeah.. For Austin...I have not gotten one FP1, much less live,,as promised, other than the USGP.
Sir Stirling Moss

Radley
Radley

Season Four is coming up for NBCSN and I fear more bad sound, way too much Leigh Diffy and trying to find out which of the channels have free practice, qualifying and the race. I'm hoping their contract expires soon and Liberty Media will showcase Formula One as it should be.

dans79

Radley wrote:Season Four is coming up for NBCSN and I fear more bad sound, way too much Leigh Diffy and trying to find out which of the channels have free practice, qualifying and the race. I'm hoping their contract expires soon and Liberty Media will showcase Formula One as it should be.
Free practice always available to stream.
197 104 103 7

bdr529

Radley wrote:Season Four is coming up for NBCSN and I fear more bad sound, way too much Leigh Diffy and trying to find out which of the channels have free practice, qualifying and the race. I'm hoping their contract expires soon and Liberty Media will showcase Formula One as it should be.
I feel for you with the Leigh Diffy part, but Liberty Media is not a television network they sell the rights to show the broadcast to networks like NBC or CBS, and they are the ones that decide to show Friday's practice on one channel and then Saturday's on an other one and of their channels, not Liberty Media.
Something like having all 3 days of programs to be shown on the same channel would have to be stipulated in the contract that the tv networks bid on

Moebius
Moebius

NBCSN to me disappoints on several levels like other users already reported, like the constant change of channels for different sessions and commercial breaks.

The commercial breaks could be better optimized, sometimes that have PiP (Picture In Picture) in which at least some of the action be be followed, but some other times it does not. They also have the habit of changing the last 5 seconds before any commercial to a scenic view, away from racing. It becomes annoying to look at the Austin tower for more than 5 minutes during the race.

My favorite option is once the first commercial break hits the screen, to switch the rest of the race to Univision. I don't mind listening to Milka Duno over there, although I don't recall if she was dropped last season or not. Univision at least carries the full race without breaks or with some very minimal (10 second) breaks.

Fifty
Fifty

I hate the PIP during commercials. The commercials take up 80% of the race. I have a 60 inch screen and I find myself standing close to the monitor so I can watch the race on my now 15 inch tv...

Sucks.
I'll have to check this Univision channel

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

TV Coverage of F1 in The Netherlands is awful, too.
Not only are the commentators completely bad, blind as a bat, talk about almost everything except for the race itself and what happens,
and then when as a tv viewer you have seen something happen 10 minutes ago suddenly they notice it and talk about their 'insight'.
The reporters from the pitlane are not just 'equally' bad, they're absolutly worse and the 'interviews' with drivers and teams are at an
all time low. Olav Mol, the known dutch 'commentator', has always been absolute trash to me, but not only has it gotten worse in recent
years, but his 'replacements' are - you wouldnt imagine possible - much much worse even.
The presentation of the 'show' is also cringeworthy.
Watching F1 from a dutch channel takes away all the fun and only causes deep irritation.
And above that, it has moved to a pay-tv channel in recent years even.

I have accepted that i am not able to enjoy F1 live as i am also unwilling to pay for being able to recieve SKY, and i HATE what happened to BBC
in recent years (can't stand Eddie Jordan and none of the BBC crew for that matter). So i patiently await untill the FULL sky coverage appears
on the internet from free practice till post-race.

I'm not saying SKY is flawless, but it's hell of a lot better then the rest out there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"