US Television Broadcasts of Formula One

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zac510

Re: US Television Broadcasts of Formula One

I thought that downgrading audio (or video) would be something that's not allowed by terms of contract. FOM must want F1 delivered at a specific minimum level of quality. Maybe FOM would be unhappy if they knew the audio was so bad?

strad

Fifty wrote:I hate the PIP during commercials. The commercials take up 80% of the race. I have a 60 inch screen and I find myself standing close to the monitor so I can watch the race on my now 15 inch tv...

Sucks.
I'll have to check this Univision channel
I was watching and they said they were going to show the rest of a race without any commercial break, and not 10 seconds later they had a PiP commercial which confirmed for me what I have suspected for some time. .. A PiP is not to their minds a commercial break.
At some point we will see whole races or shows with no commercial breaks at all... Just a PiP the whole time. :evil:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Moose

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Liberty Media will realise that TV is not the one true way to watch things any more and that we'll see an official on demand service for F1.

I'd happily pay $20 a race if it meant I got a good quality 1080p live stream of all the parts of the weekend.

Radley

bdr529 wrote: I feel for you with the Leigh Diffy part, but Liberty Media is not a television network they sell the rights to show the broadcast to networks like NBC or CBS, and they are the ones that decide to show Friday's practice on one channel and then Saturday's on an other one and of their channels, not Liberty Media.
Something like having all 3 days of programs to be shown on the same channel would have to be stipulated in the contract that the tv networks bid on
Liberty Media owns the Discovery Network which has quite a few channels including Velocity.

Ray Okay

Manoah2u wrote:TV Coverage of F1 in The Netherlands is awful, too.
I'm dutch too, yes the dutch coverage sucks (although it did got allot better when Max started winning). I've tried allot of things, german and italian coverage, they where great but very biased. BBC was ok'ish, best coverage now is on SKY imo although biased to lewis (brundle is great, they should shoot herbert). I'm a fan of Max but can't stand the way dutch media is presenting him as the next messiah, i pay monthly for Ziggo (dutch TV) but still watch illegal Sky streams. The quality can be great if you know where to look, only prob is timing apps are always off because of the buffer delay's

Ray Okay

Max offcourse is very promising, but on dutch tv they are hyping him after a normal pitstop. Look he's 2 sec quicker then carlos/daniel.. when they have yet to pit a few laps later but fail to mention that. ok.. rant over

bdr529

Radley wrote:
bdr529 wrote: I feel for you with the Leigh Diffy part, but Liberty Media is not a television network they sell the rights to show the broadcast to networks like NBC or CBS, and they are the ones that decide to show Friday's practice on one channel and then Saturday's on an other one and of their channels, not Liberty Media.
Something like having all 3 days of programs to be shown on the same channel would have to be stipulated in the contract that the tv networks bid on
Liberty Media owns the Discovery Network which has quite a few channels including Velocity.
Your right, I completely forgot that they own the Discovery network #-o
and to further my embarrassment, I have the Velocity channel :oops:

and seeing that I have the channel then I'd be ok with a switch,
though I can't complain to much, I have a choice, I can watch the BBC coverage on TSN or watch NBCSN

Fifty

Moose wrote:I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Liberty Media will realise that TV is not the one true way to watch things any more and that we'll see an official on demand service for F1.

I'd happily pay $20 a race if it meant I got a good quality 1080p live stream of all the parts of the weekend.
I would only pay if I had access to all the on car video and radio transmissions

DiogoBrand

So just try to imagine how it is in Brazil:
The engines are already quiet, but here they turn the volume so far down that sometimes it seems like the cars are on mute. All of this only so that you can hear commentators talk about stuff that they don't understand.
So frustrating...