Ugliest F1 helmet liveries

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
OneAlex

Re: Ugliest F1 helmet liveries

ChrisDanger wrote:Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder, and some people are obviously much more critical than others. Some see the helmets at face value, others see beauty in the meaning behind the graphics. .... But to me everything is beautiful if you look deeply enough.
I think to me Frentzen's helmet was a good example of that. Objectively it's a very good helmet design but for some reason I never really liked it.

Out of the current drivers I never used to like Checo's helmets, the yellowy-lime-green-orangey-red shades he uses felt a bit offensive, but I rather like them now (they make me want a tropical fruit drink), and they certainly stand out.

bdr529

Gaz. wrote: what was Jaques Villeneuve thinking about with that awful lid?
Incorporating a V-style swoosh on either side which bore stylistic resemblance to the inverted V on his father, Gilles', helmet, Jacques chose a garishly distinctive combination of colours to create a unique identity.

Starting with a base layer of dark blue, Jacques added stripes of pink, yellow, racing green and red, of varying thickness that wound around the V shape with ever diminishing returns. Villeneuve unsurprisingly apparently came up with the design while doodling on a drawing pad, with the colour scheme purported to be based on a sweater his mother, Joanne, used to wear in the paddock at Gilles' races
http://www.crash.net/f1/feature/217258/ ... signs.html
I'm guessing it could be this one?

superdowg316

I think the same could be said for his hair styles. Or team decisions.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

Starscreamer

#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Starscreamer

:sick:

the old design was 100% better

#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

NathanOlder

Nah I prefer the new one. Plus its got some nice blue.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

Honestly, to resurrect an almost five year old thread just to have a pop at an almost three year old helmet design (which objectively is very inoffensive) just seems like a bit of a pathetic dig at Bottas for the sake of it. The amount of thought which must have gone into it isn't an accident.

NathanOlder

El Scorchio wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 19:07
Honestly, to resurrect an almost five year old thread just to have a pop at an almost three year old helmet design (which objectively is very inoffensive) just seems like a bit of a pathetic dig at Bottas for the sake of it. The amount of thought which must have gone into it isn't an accident.
Spot on.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

adrianjordan

Yeah, and you didn't even bring up Ricciardo's 2020 lid.... And I'm a Daniel fan!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

JordanMugen

Starscreamer wrote:
10 Mar 2016, 12:54
Post here the ugliest F1 helmet liveries
Well this one, but drivers can have their helmet however they wish. :)

adrianjordan wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 02:54
Yeah, and you didn't even bring up Ricciardo's 2020 lid.... And I'm a Daniel fan!!
Daniels' street-art inspired design is most curious indeed! :)

It seems the number 3 graphics became slimmer at some point, which I hadn't noticed during the season. :oops:
Last edited by JordanMugen on 06 Feb 2021, 03:33, edited 2 times in total.

JordanMugen

bdr529 wrote:
16 Mar 2016, 18:04
Incorporating a V-style swoosh on either side which bore stylistic resemblance to the inverted V on his father, Gilles', helmet, Jacques chose a garishly distinctive combination of colours to create a unique identity.
Villeneuve's helmet is a classic and rather beautiful IMO. :D =D>

It seems odd to call Bottas' helmet ugly, it's a fairly standard, generic type of colour-block design common to many modern racing helmet liveries (of various colour schemes).

Tizz

Gerhardsa wrote:
15 Mar 2016, 14:57
skoop wrote:I really dislike all the red bull driver helmet liveries. They're just too shiny and sparkly for me.
Agree with you completely except for this one (sorry i'm hi-jacking the thread now). This is a seriously nice "hat"
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... b18aa1.jpg
Never seen this one. Really cool...

Ringleheim

Almost any of the current era of helmets are ugly! The ones with 10,000 little bits of detail and color all over the place, such that it is impossible to tell what anything is from a distance beyond a few feet.

Helmets used to be so much more graphically simple in the '70s, '80s, and '90s.

Always loved Stefan Johansson's!