Petition to Free Up Livery Restrictions

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ChemNerd14

Petition to Free Up Livery Restrictions

The idea is to let teams be able to chose whatever one-off livery they want as long as it is approved by race organizers (of the race in question). The race organizers meanwhile will be incentivized to reject any potentially "confusing" liveries and approve only easily recognizable liveries.

Meanwhile this would (according to the petition):
  • Lead to more attractive cars for fans
    Generate more media buzz every race weekend
    Attract more fans to Formula 1
    Attract more sponsors to Formula 1
    Create more revenue for F1 team for R&D and other expenses
    Cost teams very little since many teams respray their cars between races
I think it is an idea worth pursuing.

Article: http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/08/19/ ... trictions/
Petition: https://www.change.org/p/formula-1-stra ... f-liveries

wesley123

Re: Petition to Free Up Livery Restrictions

I don't see whats the point of this position.

No team is going to do a one-off livery as that completely destroys any recognition of them, and brands linked to them.

I also fail to see how that leads to more attractive cars. Nor do I see how that would attract more fans or sponsors(The livery is an effect of sponsorship, not a cause).
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Manoah2u

bad idea, recently there was a ban imposed on constant helmet changes, which only resulted in confusion. imagine that effect on the actual car.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

DiogoBrand

I'd be in favor of let's say, a 5% difference, so we'd have a different colour in places other than the rear crash structure and the T-Cam, maybe the endplates or something like that.
But teams running two completely different cars probably won't be supported by many F1 fans.

zac510

While NASCAR and other tin-top teams change their liveries often, personally I like the consistency.

You can tell when a petition is well thought out when the organiser lists only positive benefits to the change. As if getting more profit was a matter of changing the livery a bit and the teams are completely blind to this pot of gold!