Livery thread again!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Livery thread again!

The orange-blue actually works perfectly because it's recognisable and distinct. It grabs attention and because of color opposites, it's very clear to have one thing contrasting the other.
as far as black on orange, though it is still a contrastual difference,it isn't as distinguishable as a (darker) blue on it. White against orange isn't as big of a contrast either and would make words disappear, for example.

And let's be honest - black against orange is far from attractive in Mclaren's 2017 livery either. To be honest, it just looks weird. I don't know if an abscense of white would have been better though. Above all, i think it would have looked much, much better and much more in line with Mclaren's brand logo to have not had orange in this year's livery but the red from the Mclaren logo. I wouldn't even be surprised if that was the original motivation but somebody decided they needed orange, not the least to distinguish it more from both Ferrari and perhaps even the unknown factor of Haas at that moment, even though a simple question from Mclaren to Haas on that department would have been sufficient.

Instead, a full-bright orange livery pops out and is unmistakable. And as such, unmistakably mclaren. The addition of - a small but decent - amount of blue would only emphasize that, as it would only catch more attention than 'just' orange. Even more than the absence of blue. Hell, the Mclaren and Renault livery of 2017 looks enough like eachother to be even slightly confusing. A full orange Mclaren would also risk somewhat confusing it for a Ferrari. Not every monitor hands out colors as good as it should, nor does everybody percieve / distinguish colors as vividly as others. (think about that blue black gold dress discussion of some time ago).

An orange-blue McLaren would make very much sense in that it would be instantly recognisable as nothing but a Mclaren, and that means brand exposure.

Just think about how much more the Force India is visible thanks to the pink livery. Even if it's in the far background in a corner and the camera is focusing on a Mercedes or a Toro Rosso, the pink rocket just pops up, and immediately people notice the Force India's presence. Which is a huge benefit for the team itself (exposure) aswell as the driver's performance (in their previous greyish livery they were 'just in the background', now it's HEY, there's OCON/PEREZ!), AND offcourse the sponsors' benefit BWT in linking the pink livery with the sponsor brand, again, exposure.

As for toro rosso btw, those are also (or nearly as ) polar opposites and nobody complains about the blue against red which is actually concidered very attractive, so it's rather selective tbh.

Sponsorwise, the orange vs blue is also much more interesting, as for example 'SONY' in huge, white font on a bright blue background on the rear wing, on the sidepods, or the front wing, pops much more into the eye than were it black on a total orange car, or white on a black wing. especially if the rear part of the engine cover (and sidepods) and rear wing end plates are also black - it disappears somewhat, or it 'vanishes' in the dullness of (that part of) the livery.

another example is - i might stand wrong in the final product though - the shown livery for the Alfa Romeo Sauber cars for 2018. They could have went for a total red car, but instead, they went for a bright white vs a bright red with a huge alfa logo on the engine cover. The contrast of the sidepods or the white vs the red shifts the attention to the red part and you immediately see 'Alfa Romeo'. Were it have been completely red, the alfa romeo would 'vanish' somewhat due to the totality of the car being red (little to no contrast), and additionally would be brand-negative in being easily confused with Ferrari, which would be very negative for Ferrari if the Sauber Alfa Romeo is constantly in the back of the field.

Instead, you can't mistake the Sauber for a Ferrari and vise versa, and the sauber can't be mistaken for any other car/team.

Conclusion: opposite colors work perfectly, and as seen in the images above, can and is actually very attractive - the only sidenote that needs to be made is that people have differing taste - you might like blue, i might like red, the other yellow, the other green, so there will always (thankfully) be people favouring and disfavouring certain liveries.

but a blue-orange livery works in every universe fathomable.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

proteus

Something like this is more to my taste:

PS: Maybe someone else allready posted it, if so, than i apologise for not checking.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

nokivasara

proteus wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 18:10
Something like this is more to my taste:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1lqGYYnrUQI/ ... ries-5.jpg

PS: Maybe someone else allready posted it, if so, than i apologise for not checking.
Maybe the orange/blue livery would work if the layout was something like this?
The orange/blue McLaren reminded me of Benetton.

Manoah2u

new load

NICE

pretty interesting too

probably too confusing with Ferrari, Mclaren and possibly Haas, but still nice interpretation

another one interesting

too much black imho

alternative colors

renault concept color scheme

very orange, very cool, but to be honest a tad boring

"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

roon

Painted up, the halos look pretty good.

Manoah2u

roon wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 20:58
Painted up, the halos look pretty good.
I wonder what will happen with driver's helmet designs.

As the Halo will undoubtedly obscure the helmet a good bit, and also because they're also in color (the halo), i could imagine teams/drivers having the wish to make sure they are (more) recognisable. It might mean we see brighter colours and a more recognisable difference between drivers.

For example, Ocon and Perez had both a pink design for 2017, only one had more of a 'reddish' and the other a more 'faded' look to it. Could we see a return for Perez to his classic green helmet for example?

Hamilton's classic (bright) yellow helmet?
Bottas could meanwhile maintain a darkish helmet, as the yellow will stand out enough.

Could we see Vettel in a red helmet for 2018 and kimi in a more white and black?

Verstappen in brighter orange and Ricciardo more in a darkish blue?

roon

Good point. Opportunity for contrast. Maybe a driver number on the center part.

Sidenote: the halo really should be called the wishbone.

Sieper

Wish it wasn’t there!

Manoah2u

And yet another Mclaren livery

and a BMW imagination, love it

jjn9128

This is probably the wrong topic to post this, but here goes... I was watching the Formula E on Saturday and what struck me is how most of the teams use their liveries to distinguish the cars (exceptions Mahindra and Renault), with the Dragon car's even have the same livery but in negative (D'Ambrosio is red with white, Lopez/Jani were white with red). Audi have extra green patches around the chassis and cockpit on Abt's car where it's white on DiGrassi's. Most of the teams at least have some flashes of different colour in the wing mirrors, front wing pylons and roll hoop (similar to how Williams and Benetton used to distinguish car 1 and car 2 with a little red triangle in the 90's).

For some reason I always found it easier to see the something in the livery than the coloured T-camera, so it got me thinking if F1 could do something similar to help distinguish the drivers. As ever the F1 rules are significantly longer than anything else, but it states that the livery must be "substantially the same" - which is rather ambiguous. While it rules out the BAR concept with 2 different sponsors, as well as the Dragon negative schemes; it does leave some leeway to do something interesting to identify the car to the driver; e.g. Verstappen could have a load of orange in his livery, or Alonso could have the Asturias blue and yellow...

Formula E:
21.5 So that the competitor’s cars may be easily distinguished from one another, each can have specific colours as long as the livery is common to both of the competitor’s cars.

Both cars entered for a competitor must be presented in substantially the same livery at each Event.

Each camera (or dummy ballast) must be of a different colour (red for one driver and yellow for the other one).
Formula 1:
9.1 The provisions of the Code relating to national colours shall not apply to the Championship.

Both cars entered by a competitor must be presented in substantially the same livery at every Event, any significant change to this livery during a Championship season may only be made with the agreement of the Formula One Commission.

In order that the cars of each team may be easily distinguished from one another whilst they are on the track, the on board cameras located above the principal roll structure of the first car must remain as it is supplied to the team and the second car must be predominantly fluorescent yellow.

In order for drivers to be easily distinguished from one another whilst they are on the track, the crash helmet of each driver must, with the exception of one Event of the driver’s choice, be presented in substantially the same livery at every Event during a Championship season. A change to helmet livery will also be permitted if a driver changes team during a Championship season.
I'm not sure if anyone here makes these renders or posts them from elsewhere... it was just a though.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

andrewf1

proteus wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 18:05
Manoah2u wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 23:17
looks pretty awesome to me

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQ_krpuX0AAI4Am.jpg:large

and a pretty hot looking Mclaren-Renault

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQ_fqviXcAEp-Um.jpg
I cant imagine in what universe blue and orange mix together. I really hope they dont use blue with orange.
That's pretty ironic given that blue and orange are complementary colors and they are used as a combination in every single visual field of work - from painting to advertising to cinema and tv. Search for a color wheel or the orange/teal effect in films and you'll see how often this is used.

I can't imagine a universe where they don't mix together.

wesley123

andrewf1 wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 22:37
That's pretty ironic given that blue and orange are complementary colors and they are used as a combination in every single visual field of work - from painting to advertising to cinema and tv. Search for a color wheel or the orange/teal effect in films and you'll see how often this is used.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ueContrast

Just because they are together does not mean they match, in fact, the article does very well to describe that they don't match, but in those situations it's the point to not match, because it tries to picture opposites.
The one thing you will almost always have in a film is people. Human skin runs from pale pinkish yellow to dark brown, all of which are shades of orange. The color that contrasts best with orange is blue. So you turn up the shadows to the cyan end and the highlights to the orange.
Unlike other pairs of complementary colors, fiery orange and cool blue are strongly associated with opposing concepts — fire and ice, earth and sky, land and sea, day and night, invested humanism vs. elegant indifference, good old fashioned explosions vs. futuristic science stuff.
So yeah, while it can have very much a value in media, orange and blue do not match. They are literally each others opposites on the color wheel, which is a pretty clear explanation why it wouldn't match.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

andrewf1

wesley123 wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 23:21
andrewf1 wrote:

Just because they are together does not mean they match, in fact, the article does very well to describe that they don't match, but in those situations it's the point to not match, because it tries to picture opposites.
The one thing you will almost always have in a film is people. Human skin runs from pale pinkish yellow to dark brown, all of which are shades of orange. The color that contrasts best with orange is blue. So you turn up the shadows to the cyan end and the highlights to the orange.
Unlike other pairs of complementary colors, fiery orange and cool blue are strongly associated with opposing concepts — fire and ice, earth and sky, land and sea, day and night, invested humanism vs. elegant indifference, good old fashioned explosions vs. futuristic science stuff.
So yeah, while it can have very much a value in media, orange and blue do not match. They are literally each others opposites on the color wheel, which is a pretty clear explanation why it wouldn't match.
That's precisely the reason why they do match. I'm not sure what your personal definition of "matching colors" is, but it shouldn't solely imply "similar" or analogous colors like this.

Color theory shows us that complementary colors contrast and enhance each other, which is precisely the reason why they can be used as a match.

Image Image

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

andrewf1 wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 02:06
wesley123 wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 23:21
andrewf1 wrote:

That's precisely the reason why they do match. I'm not sure what your personal definition of "matching colors" is, but it shouldn't solely imply "similar" or analogous colors like this.

https://cdn-image.realsimple.com/sites/ ... k=xjX2WHLu

Color theory shows us that complementary colors contrast and enhance each other, which is precisely the reason why they can be used as a match.

https://cdn-image.realsimple.com/sites/ ... k=JfkYh5l2 https://cdn-image.realsimple.com/sites/ ... k=M0S2Mvbh

https://i.imgur.com/stR46w3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/f5WgAS2.jpg
To be honest, some colours which are beside one another on the wheel actually look quite awful... Matching opposite sides of the wheel often "matches" much, much nicer.
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Postmoe

I think that there is an easy solution to all this blue&orange dichotomy: just add white.

50% hard orange
30-40% white (sponsors and lower body)
10-20% Blue and mainly used for sponsors and countours (between roange and white).

It is no Gulf (which is the best combination BUT is already taken by history), it has contrast and it's unmistakable.