F1 sold to Liberty Media. Bernie Out?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Vasconia

Re: F1 sold to Liberty Media. Bernie Out?

Andres125sx wrote:
zac510 wrote:
Do you think STR or Force India can beat Mercedes or Ferrari? That´s the main reason football (soccer) is so extended, even the most modest teams can beat the big ones. Unpredictability is basic for any entertainment, and F1 lost it a long time ago
With sole exceptions F1 has always had this predictabilty. I mean, back in time Arrows(for example) could beat a Ferrari only under a very, very specific situation.The difference between big teams and small ones has always existed.

zac510

Andres125sx wrote:
zac510 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: Lucky you, here in Spain only in Alonso era it was that popular, but even in that era not so many people actually watched the GPs. Many people find it too long, too complicated to follow, or not exciting enough (euphemism of boring :P )
Funny that, because the most popular sport in Spain is one that has a horrendous gap between rich and poor, is dominated by two richest teams, the game is around the same duration as a GP and for a lot of that time not very much happens! :D
And even so there´s the unpredictable factor wich can make, for example, that Celta de Vigo beats and send home a big team like Real Madrid from the Cup :wink:

Do you think STR or Force India can beat Mercedes or Ferrari? That´s the main reason football (soccer) is so extended, even the most modest teams can beat the big ones. Unpredictability is basic for any entertainment, and F1 lost it a long time ago
haha yes, the underdog victory is fun! However in most cases I think that people prefer predictability. It's comforting and reassuring to yourself, not only in sport but in other aspects of life too, to be able to say "I think this will happen" and then it does. Too much unpredictability is bad (the perfect case is the original Pirelli tyres). Just a little bit more would be better.
A nice balance of a predictable season yet rewarding the best teams would have 13-15 victories shared by the top 2 teams, 2-4 shared by the mid pack and once every 2-3 years a Minardi would win. This might help spread the wealth a bit too.

zeph

I always keep coming back to seasons like 2010, where there were four drivers from three different teams going into the last race with a fair shot at title. That was one of the best seasons ever.

But those are the exception rather than the norm, of course.

I do hope there will be a proper title fight this year between Hamilton and Ricciardo. It would be even better if Alonso was in the mix, too, but that seems a long shot with all the recent changes at McLaren.

Just_a_fan

zeph wrote:
I do hope there will be a proper title fight this year between Hamilton and Ricciardo. It would be even better if Alonso was in the mix, too, but that seems a long shot with all the recent changes at McLaren.
Ironically, if the RB is truly competitive this year, Ricciardo is going to have his hands full with Max. This might actually help Hamilton (assuming the Mercedes is also as good) or Seb (same assumption). A competitive RB and Mercedes makes for some interesting times but if team mates fight you end up with another 2007 - someone else sneaks by and takes the title.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

zeph wrote:I always keep coming back to seasons like 2010, where there were four drivers from three different teams going into the last race with a fair shot at title. That was one of the best seasons ever.

But those are the exception rather than the norm, of course.

I´m expecting RBR to clearly favour Max over Dan. They´ve showed an obvious bias toward him, and I see no reason they will change that now when he has a competitive car

But I´m also expecting that fight will be much harder than the one from Mercedes drivers tough. Actually to me RBR will be the only top team with two top drivers who can fight each other. Mercedes hired Bottas to be #2, IMHO Kimi decline is obvious, and Stoffel is a rookie.... who is not a team principal protegee so he´ll not be favoured (take that Lewis fans :mrgreen: ) so he should not be a big threat this season for Alonso

But Ricciardo vs Verstappen.... that will be THE teammate battle of the season. Even when I´m sure RBR will favour Max as soon as they can, I hope they have enough freedom to provide an exciting battle

Manoah2u

RB favouring Max would be a shot in their own foot, Danny is too hotheaded regarding that to let it go down without a fight. They would also lose one of their best drivers of the past years to the competition. They would have to replace him with either Kvyat, which has not worked out the best in the short past, or replace him with Sainz, who's got the talent, but the combo Max-Carlos hasn't worked out the best in the short past either, so i'd doubt RB will favour Max too much.
Also, we have no clue yet on how the rule changes are going to affect the drivers. For all we'll see Danny might not like this at all and struggle a lot, and Max will love and embrace it and perform outstanding, or vise versa, Max is going to struggle and Danny will school him.

I do agree fully that if we're going to see a competitive RB and both drivers have no problems adapting, we're in for a hard dogfight between Max and Danny.

Oddly enough, we could actually see RB throwing in some of their windows in having a clash of Max and Danny reminiscent of Hamilton and Rosberg / Vettel & Webber, and see Mercedes take the win instead.

Mercedes last year has been the team with the most explosive and hard to manage driver pairing of the season, but i'm confident 2017 will handle that candle to RB. I don't think Hamilton and Bottas are an explosive combination like Rosberg vs Hamilton has proven to be.

but anyway, how did we get from the bernie out theme to this? lol.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Gerhardsa

I was thinking now with the Liberty takeover.
Would it not be awesome If they went (Apart from providing coverage on the usual tv channels and stations), also bring out an app, similar to things like ShowMax and Netflix for F1?
Have that app work in the same way as the Sky F1 channel works with the "red button" options, behind the scenes stuff, paddock happenings, live interviews on race weekend etc. reruns of old races, interviews, documentaries etc.

I would gladly pay what I pay for stuff like Netflix and ShowMax ($10-$15 per month) via subscription to watch F1 in the way I want, be it Smart phone, Tablet or on set-top box worldwide.

I wonder if they would look or go this type of route in the near future.
It will open (in my opinion) a massive new viewing market for the sport.

djos

Gerhardsa wrote:I was thinking now with the Liberty takeover.
Would it not be awesome If they went (Apart from providing coverage on the usual tv channels and stations), also bring out an app, similar to things like ShowMax and Netflix for F1?
Have that app work in the same way as the Sky F1 channel works with the "red button" options, behind the scenes stuff, paddock happenings, live interviews on race weekend etc. reruns of old races, interviews, documentaries etc.

I would gladly pay what I pay for stuff like Netflix and ShowMax ($10-$15 per month) via subscription to watch F1 in the way I want, be it Smart phone, Tablet or on set-top box worldwide.

I wonder if they would look or go this type of route in the near future.
It will open (in my opinion) a massive new viewing market for the sport.
I'd happily pay $10 USD a month for an F1 Roku channel! It'd be worth every cent!
"In downforce we trust"

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FrukostScones

Brawn pledges to make knee jerk reactions.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ing-is-bad

didn't he read Dürrenmatt?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dans79

http://www.pitpass.com/58612/Liberty-pr ... -to-an-end

I get the feeling my days of watching formula 1 are numbered, because it seems very clear Liberty media wants to turn F1 into a WWE style freak show, to draw in the lowbrows of the world. If the goal is an early 2012 style lottery, then I'm done.
197 104 103 7

djos

dans79 wrote:
24 Mar 2017, 23:51
http://www.pitpass.com/58612/Liberty-pr ... -to-an-end

I get the feeling my days of watching formula 1 are numbered, because it seems very clear Liberty media wants to turn F1 into a WWE style freak show, to draw in the lowbrows of the world. If the goal is an early 2012 style lottery, then I'm done.
So far I'm enjoying the vastly improved social media experience via YouTube etc so I'm ok with reserving judgment for a while longer.
"In downforce we trust"

dans79

djos wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 00:39
So far I'm enjoying the vastly improved social media experience via YouTube etc so I'm ok with reserving judgment for a while longer.
This is the part that bothers me. If true, it's more artificial than DRS, and designed purely to keep the mob happy.
We understand that in his job to level the playing field on the sporting side, Brawn is pushing for "success ballast", the weight- handicap used by other series which would be as welcome as a bucket of cold sick to F1 teams and fans alike.
197 104 103 7

djos

Oh yeah I must have missed the success ballast bit, that's not acceptable to me either.

I'd be happy if they simplified the front wing to say 3 elements and implemented a standard ground effects tunnel design (not whole floor, just the tunnels) similar to the way the rear diffuser is mandated.
"In downforce we trust"

Hail22

It looks like the beginning of a long protracted period of negotiation, horse trading etc for 2017 to build on a framework going past 2020.

Will Liberty commit to knee jerk reactions / changes? Doubtful, this looks like a PR push to get the attention of not only team bosses but also loop the fans in to building pressure against the "deep state" within formula 1.

Will wait and see but Max Verstappen's comments this afternoon will most likely be used to garner the attention of teams and interested parties to turn up to the table and focus on some solid pathways into the future...but again the first race hasn't been run yet, so I'll hold in a wait and see pattern.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... ng-886003/
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve