Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
cplchanb

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

No we shouldn't. During tests there are no cars bunching up...no fuel and engine saving no tire saving....leave comparisons for full race simulations and even still thats not entirely accurate to what the drivers are experiencing. I guess a head to head test will be most accurate

Vasconia

reikorp wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 14:45
I know we should not look at lap times and stuff... 8)

https://imgbb.com/
The important thing is the consistency of his stins and the amount of laps. Everything is going great so far.

Manoah2u

cplchanb wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 15:11
No we shouldn't. During tests there are no cars bunching up...no fuel and engine saving no tire saving....leave comparisons for full race simulations and even still thats not entirely accurate to what the drivers are experiencing. I guess a head to head test will be most accurate
should realise though that the track is not abandoned. that means there IS traffic, even if it's minor and temporal compared to a real race.

a 12-lap stint indeed is not a good comparison since fuel load might play a good role. still, he's doing some pretty amazing laps, so its not like he's 40 seconds off the pace with 1 lesser arm. instead, he's actually doing better than race laps in the actual race. i'd like to see some qually simulation laps.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

netoperek

It seems thats what Renault was planning to do - qually sim at the end of the test. Unfortunatelly, there was a red flag streak preventing this from happening

fiohaa

jesus how embarassing, he hit the side of the garage which is why the board fell.
welcome to the wide cars...

EDIT: lol he talks about it here https://youtu.be/fdXsp-DCtFw?t=224

Manoah2u

Yeah lol that was funny, but one could wonder too whether the car could have been placed a bit more to the wall instead of to the side of that pillar, but well, it is what it is.
think it helps him keep focused on everything. great stuff to see, and his times are astonishing.
is this all or will he drive more?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Sonador

Such a joy to see that guy in a F1 car again, an a current one as well.

Whatever the outcome is of all of this, just to see him behind de wheel of a proper F1 car is amazing.
To see somebody that had that type of injuy and pain that comes with it come back, is really special.

Amazing stuff!

NathanOlder

I blame all the photographers in front of him , making him feel the need to turn early to not get too close to them.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

r101

As for Kubica stint laptimes being better compared to Hulk, please remember that Hulk was stuck behind someone when on fresh rubber, so could have surely gone faster. As for JP, he is not in their league at all.

Also, to be fair to Kubica, his ultrasoft lap was done as a part of a several lap stint, and I think supersoft one he surely had more fuel/less power than what Palmer had in Q2.

I think this will unravel pretty quickly, guys.

PlatinumZealot

Oh. That's what he meant when he said the car is much wider than he thought! lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

marmer

If I was Palmer I would be very worried. Kubica has proved he still has the speed and his body can handle the current cars. Unless there is something we don't know about holding him back other than the cost of canceling Palmers contract there is no reason not to have kubica in the car at SPA.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Manoah2u

I'll repeat Kubica himself said he doesn't want to rush things and not enter this year, that's good enough a mention to know he wont'be in spa.

as for Palmer, he doesn't need Kubica performing like a sonofa to know he's done and dusted for. He's out at the end of this season either way, and he won't have anywhere to go in F1
but perhaps get a role in testing. He should just enjoy what's left of this season in F1 and take it as it goes.

FW17

He would be a solid choices for Williams

Hope Renault do not have a option for a period.

WaikeCU

I honestly believe Robert is now a lot different than the Robert who was set to take the 2011 season by storm and this could be either positive or negative. I think with such an accident, it must have made a massive impact on Robert as a human being. One day you wake up and everything is gone and taken away from you. People with a lot of expectations in you suddenly turn their backs on you and move on, because in the end there's still a job to do. The season still has to begin. It's all about achieving the best result possible and that's by doing the best job possible and maybe... maybe at the end of the day, you will be on pole position. Maybe at the end of the last lap on Sunday you will take top step of that podium. Maybe at the end of the season your name emerges on top of the standings crowning you World Driver's Champion.

Injured in such a bad way. People called it career ending. People said he would never drive a race car again or even gain enough function to be able to live his daily life. Yet, there's only one person that still does not want to let go of the dream. One person that still believed he would return with time. Something that he believes he has to go through himself, still believing in it even though difficult times are ahead as the drivers that he fought with, have already moved on and are in their own bubble, while his has burst. It will take surgeries and rest on repeat, before he could remotely start recovery with exercices. And still, he pulled through. While the laps are counting for the drivers, the days and months are counting for Robert. Dealing with another blow: Not ready for 2012 season and re-fracturing his leg, which puts him back out of contention.

Finally, he eases himself back to competition, while still recovering and dealing with an arm that is not fully functioning as it used to be. Regaining strength, regaining muscle memory. Never felt the same, but living with it and understanding that it's the way it is. Slowly. Months, years, he must be thinking is it time or should he snap out of it and just move on? The fact is, years ago he was stretchered off in that condition. Now it has been years and the condition he's in, some would say it's a miracle. But deep in himself, Robert believes he has fought the hardest battles of all drivers throughout the years, he has the strongest motivation, the mentally strongest athlete in the paddock and of course the hardest worker of all drivers.

But... he has changed. He's no longer the driver he was back then. Life changing is to say the least, but it molds him into the person he is today. It made him look at life, setbacks and competition differently. For me personally, if he gets a seat in F1 soon, he would be the most intelligent man on the grid. From now on any setbacks during his laps around the track in an F1 car is incomparible to what he had to go through. He has gifted himself another chance. Go grab it son!

Forza Robert!

Greg_OR

WaikeCU wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 00:01
[...]

Forza Robert!
Uhh, big thig, you follow Robert closely or have that level of empathy to imagine him in a right way...

I'll only put in short what I heard from him (officials in English and Polish)
Surprising thing - weight of the car (about 100kg more than he was used to) influencing the way you negotiate corners.
Turning point during the tests - lunch break - as he had a time to analyze his observations, name them, give them priorities and solve/use them. And he felt much more comfortable in the afternoon session, gaining a lot of confidence (relaxed he said).
It was his personal target.
So after the test he said he would love to drive next morning, even only 10 laps, just to check in practice his next conclusions.
That's why he told elier, he would need 2 day of testing to be 100% ready.
On his state of mind... only one sentence, you can read it on BBC:
"In the end, I decided first I have to wake up in the morning happy, then I can start to be a racing driver." R. Kubica

To end this not so short words - interview worth more than 1000G words ;) [youtube]https://youtu.be/fdXsp-DCtFw[/youtube]