Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

ringo

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

I remember the thread with the accident clearly years ago on this site.
I am glad that he can come back to drive an F1 car; its been a very very long time, but age and time haven't dealt a lot of damage. A lot has happened with his contemporaries, lewis, seb, nico, and some new talent have come to the grid, but luckily for Kubica, there still seems to be room for his abilities on the grid today.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the limitations with his left hand now?
I try to look at videos and figure it out, but i would love if someone who has been following his recovery give an idea about the fingers, thumb, grip etc. to help the appreciation of what he has to deal with driving the f1 car.
For Sure!!

Greg_OR

I will not satisfy your curiosity, as I don't have any medical data on it, but instead I will tell you what Alan Permane said about first 2 tests and Robert's disabilities - in Valencia they paid attention on it for 3 laps, and forgot this aspect. Then at Paul Richard they hadn't even mention it - this is all about.
Everybody can see his right arm on photos - its not normal in many ways, but does it affect his driving? Not, it doesn't.
-edit-
https://youtu.be/2ex89L--OZU

PlatinumZealot

He can turn the wheel as he wants. He did two race distances. So not much disadvantage. But i have a feeling in a fight maybe his buttons reflexes might lag another drivers in a track with short straights... But i am equally intrigued how the team will overcome it.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Greg_OR

PlatinumZealot wrote: โ†‘
05 Aug 2017, 05:00
He can turn the wheel as he wants. He did two race distances. So not much disadvantage. But i have a feeling in a fight maybe his buttons reflexes might lag another drivers in a track with short straights... But i am equally intrigued how the team will overcome it.
There are some minor modifications made to the steering wheel: paddles remapped to up and down shift gears by left hand, few (mostly used) buttons/triggers/dials remapped or re-positioned for comfortable use.
What buttons do you need in direct fight?

PlatinumZealot

The usual Brake balance. Differential setting engine modes charge modes. You steer with one hand and press buttons turn knobs with the other. So you can see how kubica would have to double duty with his dextrous hand or steer with the weaker one or do some sort of qucik shuffling. Is just a guess and only when the zeason starts and we get the onboards will we see how he manages it.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Manoah2u

He's managing it now, too so i don't see how there's still discussion about a non-existant problem.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Greg_OR

Manoah2u wrote: โ†‘
06 Aug 2017, 12:11
He's managing it now, too so i don't see how there's still discussion about a non-existant problem.
What I meant was a rhetorical question, as I don't see drivers dialing the knobs when fighting wheel to wheel.

Manoah2u

my reply wan't aimed at you ;)
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Sonador

He told one repoter: "i have more problems in daily live than in driving an F1 car"

Exciting stuff, imagine Kubica and a Verstappen in batlle for a podium or a win.

ringo

Greg_OR wrote: โ†‘
05 Aug 2017, 03:56
I will not satisfy your curiosity, as I don't have any medical data on it, but instead I will tell you what Alan Permane said about first 2 tests and Robert's disabilities - in Valencia they paid attention on it for 3 laps, and forgot this aspect. Then at Paul Richard they hadn't even mention it - this is all about.
Everybody can see his right arm on photos - its not normal in many ways, but does it affect his driving? Not, it doesn't.
-edit-
https://youtu.be/2ex89L--OZU
Thanks for that video. It does answer my question. I haven't seen his arm in most photographs. I would say he has missing muscle fiber, but for F1 in such limited steering wheel movement he should be fine. The cars have power steering, so he can maybe compensate with the left hand if he needs for strength to turn the wheel.
He was holding a drink bottle in the video too, so i guess the limitation is opening his grip, which as you say isn't super critical.
For Sure!!

marmer

Puts some drivers to shame really they say driving an F1 car is so hard but a guy can rock up after years away with basically 1 normal hand and arm and the other being more like a grabbing claw in a amusement arcade.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Manoah2u

Perhaps you should actually investigate on Kubica's arm and just how relatively good he's able to use it, there's plenty of onboard footage in non-formula classes where he's driving pretty awesome with BOTH hands. yes, he doesn't have the same capacity as left, but it's not like it's a dangly thing hanging on about.

Shakeman

It would shame F1 and the millions of ยฃ$ยฃ$ยฃs spent if the sport could not find a way to accommodate a racer with such obvious talent as Bob and give him the tools to be as competitive as he was prior to his accident.

We walk around with phone size super computers with voice activation and gestural multitouch and it would be odd if the pinnacle of motorsport could not find a technological solution to give Bob a helping hand so to speak.