Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CBeck113

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rosb ... rn-953098/

How's that for quiet? I'd say things are moving forward for him, but is Rosberg the right guy for the job? May be able to put his and his father's contacts to good use.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

skoop

I think Renault was seriously trying to get Kubica in the car. No one could've predicted at that time that Renault would supply McLaren and get a Toro Rosso driver.

ZakB

Kubica was just too slow, it's sad, but the truth.

Manoah2u

do share on what base you make your assumptions.......
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Greg_OR

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 21:23
I don't know why but there are some personalities out there, who likely have fun spreading false information about Kubica's performance at Hungaro, as in comments under this article (BTW great that Nico will support RK)
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rosb ... rn-953098/

Manoah2u

yeah, plenty of haters around.

Would love to see Rob back. I assume Hulk has a 2018 contract at Renault?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

marmer

ZakB wrote:Kubica was just too slow, it's sad, but the truth.
... please share evidence of him being slow or anyone saying he was slow as I don't remember that being the case anytime he has been in a car or in the simulator

ZakB

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 21:23
Times don't lie. I'm pretty sure he can improve, but Renault doesn't want to take any risks. He says he's fit enough, did a lot of laps, looking at times, it probably wasn't impressive enough. Don't get me wrong, because I would love to see him back in F1, although it remains a gamble for teams at this point.

Greg_OR

ZakB wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 22:28
Times don't lie
You've read it in "The Times"? ;)
But seriously, have you seen his lap times and factory test program behind them? Judging from lap times not knowing the tasks he had to complete is pointless. Anyway I've spotted some on F1today live coverage of #BudaTest:
Kubica's last run: 1:21.2, 1:21.4, 1:21.3, 1:21.3, 1:21.5, 1:21.1, 1:21.5, 1:21.0, 1:21.6, 1:21.5, 1:21.3, 1:21.3.
Consistent, huh?
Update posted on 15:28:50
At that time of day he had 100 laps (1.5 GP distance) already done, and race fastest laps of both HUL and PAL was just about 1:21.6
So there is a guy 3rd time in F1 car after a 6.5y break, first time in 2017 so different spec car delivering that sort of performance... yes, lap times don't lie, that's why I keep smiling when I think about him and his story :)

Manoah2u

haha what times. how on earth do you even remotely think there's a benchmark with the times and apart from that, the fun part is he actually put down some insanely impressive times.
i'm bummed Sainz gets a Renault drive because that means surely Kubica won't get one, apart from the fact i'm curious about Sainz too.

I don't think Williams will be the right environment though. But well, perhaps he can do friday testing at the very least.

LookBackTime

Nico Rosberg supports Robert Kubica - video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCz8uTTJvd8

enry86

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13187 ... liams-test

Maybe there is a possibility with Williams, if Massa retires for good this time.
I hope that the involvement of Nico could bring some good results if he still has good relationship with Williams.

WaikeCU

LookBackTime wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 10:34
Nico Rosberg supports Robert Kubica - video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCz8uTTJvd8
Well here's the thing. We could expect Robert in a Williams next season. Here's why:

- Robert was offered simulator time at Mercedes a few years ago (https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/10743 ... ubica-help)
- So in some way Robert has a little share in the success Mercedes had
- He also tested Mercedes DTM before he went rallying
- Nico Rosberg is now supporting Robert towards a comeback/career
- Nico Rosberg is a former Williams driver
- Nico Rosberg is ambassador for Mercedes-Benz and former driver of Mercedes where Toto is was his boss

Not sure how long that engine deal is between Williams and Mercedes, but Toto could persuade Williams to prolong the deal if they put Robert in that Williams.

What I could also think of is Nico Rosberg is going to make Robert no.1 driver at the Merc FE team once Nico is in management of the Mercedes FE team.

dren

There's a test set-up for Kubica at Williams.
Honda!

Greg_OR

dren wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 13:41
There's a test set-up for Kubica at Williams.
You mean adjusting the 2014 Lance's testing car for him or current one?