Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shrieker

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

Wehrlein in a tux would be slick as fuq i reckon.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

kptaylor

I'm not convinced Renault saw something they didn't like with Kubica's tests. I think it just boils down to choosing a younger rising star versus an older rising star. That decision may come back to bite them if they don't improve in '18 and Sainz is taken back by RB if RIC or VER leave next year. I hope Williams will also let Kubica drive a '17 car in FP so they can fully compare apples to apples. (Di Resta has some race experience in a '17.) Driving the '14 car is nice, but nowhere near the new cars.

Manoah2u

Stormy wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 11:08
ChrisDanger wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 10:08
Stormy wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 08:47
Maybe Renault knows something we don't? Maybe after the tests Kubica done Renault determined he can't be 100% competitive throughout an entire race stint? Williams tests will show more though. I'll be happy if either Kubica or Di Resta take that Williams seat.

What a dumb clause.
Yeah, it's for advertising purposes as far as I know. You can't have a fresh-faced young adult look suave in a tux like you can a slightly more mature individual.
Well, it depends on the person really. Some 21 year old athletes look way older.
and i have to repeat, it's factually untrue.

a reserve driver is enough to be 25 years of age, which is Di Resta right now, so it's all completely false.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Greg_OR

Manoah2u wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 18:06
a reserve driver is enough to be 25 years of age, which is Di Resta right now, so it's all completely false.
With all regards to PDR, but who cares about reserve drivers these days, so I think that even in those 5 (or what the number is) countries no one would like to advertise anything with a reserve driver.

LookBackTime

Robert Kubica Getting 2 Tests With Williams, Reports Say
by James Gilroy

http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish/14 ... eports-say

There's no debating that Robert Kubica is one of the most romanticized, revered, and risky drivers on the market for a 2018 race seat. The recipient of multiple test sessions with Renault, Kubica has been evaluated by both Renault and Williams for a potential return to Formula 1. With the Renault seat occupied by Carlos Sainz Jr. next season, Kubica's focus turned to Williams, who, according to both the BBC and F1i, is planning a two-stage test in the team's 2014 car at Silverstone late this month.

Paul di Resta is claimed to be driving one stage of the test, with Kubica driving the other, with di Resta's results to be used as the standard for Kubica to beat.

The BBC reports that the Silverstone test will precede a later test, at the Hungaroring, and that di Resta's purpose in the Silverstone test is to serve as a gauntlet for Kubica. His odds are considered unfavorable by the BBC, which claims that the real decision is between Felipe Massa and Robert Kubica.

The Drive contacted Williams regarding these rumors, but a spokesperson stated that the team will add no fuel to the fire of rumors whilst the evaluations are in progress.

Another door has reportedly opened to Kubica, too, should the Williams seat slip through his fingers. Another F1i report claims that Kubica visited Red Bull Racing, of all places, for a session in the team's simulator, at the behest of Renault.

It is alleged that Kubica beat the simulator times of both Ricciardo and Verstappen, but this news has us scratching our heads, and not just because it would mean Kubica's still a top talent after a near seven-year hiatus from the sport.

The Drive reached out to Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso for comment, but neither chose to make a statement.

LookBackTime

According to Roberto Chinchero Italian Sky:
11th October, Silverstone, Kubica's first test
16-17th October, Hungaroring, Kubica drives first day, Di Resta 2nd day

Manoah2u

Greg_OR wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 18:34
Manoah2u wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 18:06
With all regards to PDR, but who cares about reserve drivers these days, so I think that even in those 5 (or what the number is) countries no one would like to advertise anything with a reserve driver.
And it seems i have to repeat once again that that is exactly what williams has stated themselves, and not some clicbait unbased false media tabloid story. So contractually yes, people do care about reserve drivers. You may not, but other people, including the team which houses them to also do testing, and PR work, DO care about it, and, better said Martini, their main sponsor DOES care about it. So there you have it, plenty enough reason.

Also, PDR is a perfect image for Williams honestly. He's a pundit for SkySports and therefor EVERY weekend in the 'spotlights', a face on TV, whilst being A) promotional material for Williams as there is always a banner accompanying him 'Williams Reserve driver', thanks to his contract with williams he can and will regularly talk about Williams, and since Martini is Williams' Title sponsor and now when everybody thinks of Williams they think of the Martini logo and stripes, means immediate 'exposure' for Martini too.

perfect for Williams, you actually see PDR more on TV in a race weekend than Stroll or Massa, and during the race, you see the Williams driving, so really, it is a absolute genius move and more than sufficient.

I think you're seriously, but really seriously underestimating Paul Di Resta's usability.

as for a raceseat for PDR, that's an entirely different story. noooo. no no no.
and regarding the above i've mentioned, there you also have your answer as to why 100% guaranteed PDR will NOT have a raceseat for 2018, but WILL maintain his current contract with the only difference that he'll get some more driving and testing in this year's contender should he need to be used again suddenly like we had this year.
good for him too. He's a great bloke and i wish him all the best but not a fulltime F1 racing seat.

which brings me to the topic at hand;

Unfortunately, as much as i would like to see Kubica in a race seat, i believe 2018's lineup @ Williams will be
Stroll & Wehrlein with Di Resta as the 3rd/Reserve driver.

I am happy to see Kubica getting a Williams test though and i'm veeeery very curious on the outcome of that.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Greg_OR

You've just confirmed my point of view - PDR is known not for being Williams 3rd but for his Sky job, and don't forget that Sky is not a worldwide broadcaster, how many other reserve drivers are recognizable, look at official F1 site team profiles and find them... you won't, watch each race and even quali sessions - how many times a name of 3rd driver is mentioned? So in my opinion, none 3rd driver is attractive for advertisement business with PDR exception because of his TV role.

Manoah2u

actually, you've just destroyed your faulty logic once again, but hey, if that works for you.

ChrisDanger

Manoah2u wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 22:18
And it seems i have to repeat once again that that is exactly what williams has stated themselves, and not some clicbait unbased false media tabloid story.
Do you have a reference for this? I searched, trying to find an official statement, but all I found was second- or third-hand references to this supposed clause. Something from the team themselves would be greatly appreciated.

Manoah2u

ChrisDanger wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 07:02
Manoah2u wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 22:18
And it seems i have to repeat once again that that is exactly what williams has stated themselves, and not some clicbait unbased false media tabloid story.
Do you have a reference for this? I searched, trying to find an official statement, but all I found was second- or third-hand references to this supposed clause. Something from the team themselves would be greatly appreciated.
LookBackTime wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 21:49
WEHRLEIN EMERGES AS CONTENDER FOR WILLIAMS SEAT
Published on 05 Oct 2017 15:19

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2320 ... liams-seat

Pascal Wehrlein has emerged as a fourth candidate to become Lance Stroll's teammate at Williams next year. Earlier, reports circulated that Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta will go head-to-head in unofficial 'shootout' tests later this month. But Bild newspaper quotes Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff as saying: "I think Williams is talking to four drivers. "(They are) Robert, Paul, Felipe and Pascal."

Kubica's high-profile hopes could get a boost this weekend at Suzuka, with his co-manager Nico Rosberg in the paddock on television commentary duties for broadcaster Sky. But Wolff also referred to German Wehrlein, who is in danger of losing his Sauber seat next year as the Swiss team looks to bring in Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc.

Earlier, it was believed Mercedes-backed Wehrlein had been ruled out by Williams, as team sponsor Martini wanted at least one 2018 driver to be over the age of 25.

But Auto Bild reports that Williams has "confirmed that the use of a driver over 25 is not a contractual commitment". The report explained that at the few countries on the F1 calendar where the legal alcohol consumption age is 25, test driver di Resta could stand in as a PR representative. (GMM)

ChrisDanger

Manoah2u wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 23:26
LookBackTime wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 21:49
WEHRLEIN EMERGES AS CONTENDER FOR WILLIAMS SEAT

But Auto Bild reports that Williams has "confirmed that the use of a driver over 25 is not a contractual commitment". The report explained that at the few countries on the F1 calendar where the legal alcohol consumption age is 25, test driver di Resta could stand in as a PR representative. (GMM)
Thanks. I was hoping for a primary source, but this at least casts doubt on the clause.

LookBackTime

Robert Kubica's new manager Nico Rosberg has said the Pole is "physically at 100 per cent" ahead of his test at Hungary with Williams.

Williams chief technical officer Paddy Lowe confirmed at Suzuka over the weekend that Kubica would be featuring in a test alongside Paul di Resta.

But Williams will be keeping all information private and are looking at plenty of other options aside from the aforementioned duo.

Yet Rosberg has every confidence that Kubica has the pace worthy of a place on the Formula 1 grid.

"He is physically at 100%," Rosberg said during his commentary stint with Sky F1 at the Japanese Grand Prix.

"He did double race stints with Renault and was always on the pace so there's not that to prove.

"I think it's more about getting to know each other and see if it's a good fit.

"With someone of Kubica's skill level, doing a test straight out of the box is the least of his problems."

http://www.planetf1.com/news/kubica-100 ... f1-return/

FW17

Silverstone 11.10.2017

Hungaroring 17-18.10.2017