Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

Well...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-denies-kubica-2018-deal-done-980999/ wrote:
The Williams Formula 1 team has denied it has already completed a deal with Robert Kubica for 2018 and ruled out an announcement during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
I mean, if he's testing at Yas Marina, I assume this is for evaluation, so how can the deal be signed before that?

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

If Williams do sign Kubica then they'd do well to put him on a 3 year contract with a performance clause in there, that way they can drop him if he's terrible but also look to use him as a pawn in the long term driver market when big teams come knocking if he's any good. Bottas replacement or Kimi replacement etc.

Nickel
Nickel

Manoah2u wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 10:16
mith wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 22:41
Some more gossips: https://www.rtlgp.nl/item/163905/rtl_gp ... j_williams
old news, they're just taking a fish out of the pond that has already been picked out before and act like it's news.
Nickel wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 06:42
Don't think I saw it mentioned in the last couple weeks worth of posts but I read somewhere (maybe James Allen?) That Nico Rosberg has taken on a role in supporting Kubica's effort to return to F1. Furthermore it was stated that Nico has been instrumental in acquiring a ~8M sponsor package to go with Kubica. Hard to imagine that not going a long way to helping secure a seat. Williams seem as fond as anyone of such accoutrements coming with their drivers these days.
and also that has been mentioned months ago.
I recall the announcement about Rosberg joining his management but not the 8M... anyways apologies if I've been out of the loop!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

no reason at all to apologize buddy, there's no shame in not knowing.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

netoperek
netoperek

ChrisDanger wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 12:13
Well...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-denies-kubica-2018-deal-done-980999/ wrote:
The Williams Formula 1 team has denied it has already completed a deal with Robert Kubica for 2018 and ruled out an announcement during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
I mean, if he's testing at Yas Marina, I assume this is for evaluation, so how can the deal be signed before that?
Its plausible. They might have agreed on terms and perhaps even sign some papers and still put him in a car in Pirelli testing at Yas Marina for at least two reasons. First - Kubica is well known for his very good feedback and setup fine tuning abilities, but has recently been used in that role by Renault at Hungaroring, without even having a chance to showcase his speed (not a single hotlap in his 142 laps done during the testing) and then ditched because of that TR - McL engine/Sainz swap deal, so he could have refused doing car development work for them without a contract.
Second - sporting regulations 10.5 e - if Williams appoints Kubica as an official replacement up to 14 days prior or after the test, they will get one test day free, as he has not participated in a race in the last 2 years.

Vasconia

This would be fenomenal. I do hope he can show he is faster than the other two guys.

Greg_OR
Greg_OR

netoperek wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 20:24
[...]
Second - sporting regulations 10.5 e - if Williams appoints Kubica as an official replacement up to 14 days prior or after the test, they will get one test day free, as he has not participated in a race in the last 2 years.
This rule is valid only for GP replacement not for after-season testing.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Is it me or has Sirotkin's name seemed to have come out of nowhere?

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

This is the team that previously hired Pastor Maldonado - for more than once season. I'm sure Sirotkin comes with many $$$ behind his name.

NathanOlder

Yes. And only money, he has a severe lack of talent at F1 level.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I really don't think Williams is in dire need of money with Stroll aboard. They'll take his one-time money for the test and use it to pay off wherever they see fit, but i fully doubt they have interest in putting him alongside Stroll. He might get a reserve driver role perhaps.

With Bernie out of F1, i also suspect chances are much slimmer we'll see a driver forced into F1 due to nationality concerns - meaning, I think that if Ecclestone would still be at the helm, he'd force a team into getting a russian driver aboard because he has shaken hands with Putin and some other russian people throwing money his direction. That would mean either Kvyat or Sirotkin would fill up the field next year @ whatever team. With That no longer the case, i am confident it's no place for either Kvyat and especially Sirotkin. A few tests, sure. But nothing more but some friday testings on top of that. That is, unless Williams actually does sign Kubica and they take Sirotkin aboard as a reserve driver. Should Kubica for some reason then not be able to compete or complete the season, then perhaps Sirotkin can come in .

But the more important question is: does Sirotkin actually have a Superlicense?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

kptaylor
kptaylor

Is there any source for how much money Kubica would have to return (previous insurance payout) if he's signed by Williams? That's supposedly what's delaying things according to the latest rumors.

Shrieker

https://youtu.be/JvXgY8s6HXQ?t=127

He can't put weight on his right arm ? What if he needs to get out pronto ? That looks not so good...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Shrieker wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 17:32
https://youtu.be/JvXgY8s6HXQ?t=127

He can't put weight on his right arm ? What if he needs to get out pronto ? That looks not so good...
he's already done the testing and he made it so that is not an issue.

FrukostScones

kptaylor wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 20:25
Is there any source for how much money Kubica would have to return (previous insurance payout) if he's signed by Williams? That's supposedly what's delaying things according to the latest rumors.
Somewhere I read he has to pay back 50%and that something between 10-25 Mio $, but no source and maybe I dreamt this.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.