Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Greg_OR
Greg_OR

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 03:00
Whay are some people angry though? This is great news for Robert! Look how far he's come from!
Yes its great for Robert to be back in the paddock and he said himself its only next step, his goal is still the same - racing and I'm sure his tester/developer role in Williams will be significant.

But some of us (RK fanboys ;) remember his words after Renault test at Hungaro - he said he would need 2 more days for himself to feel ready for racing. And then the engine saga and Sainz, then Williams story where all seemed to be done and signed but SIR, Russian money, journalists theories that he is not fit nor fast etc.
All in all, those who know much about the whole situation stay calm and support RK, but many think he twice lost a seat due to politics and money (and they aren't that wrong, are they?) so they are angry.

marmer
marmer

Will be very interesting to see just how much time he gets in the car. I don't think it's been stated that he will actually get fp1 or test days has it

netoperek
netoperek

it has. In official presentation videos. It's only logical, too. Neither Stroll nor Sirotkin will be able to optimise setups completely on their own, at least at the beginning - Stroll used to take Massa's settings as a starting point and it doesn't look like he has a knack for it (in terms of technical understanding). Sirotkin simply doesn't have much experience. Maybe he can learn fast, maybe have a talent, but he doesn't have much running time past him.

ringo

marmer wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 08:04
Will be very interesting to see just how much time he gets in the car. I don't think it's been stated that he will actually get fp1 or test days has it
I hope he even does tests for mercedes or Force India.
For Sure!!

McHonda
McHonda

Greg_OR wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 04:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Whay are some people angry though? This is great news for Robert! Look how far he's come from!
Yes its great for Robert to be back in the paddock and he said himself its only next step, his goal is still the same - racing and I'm sure his tester/developer role in Williams will be significant.

But some of us (RK fanboys ;) remember his words after Renault test at Hungaro - he said he would need 2 more days for himself to feel ready for racing. And then the engine saga and Sainz, then Williams story where all seemed to be done and signed but SIR, Russian money, journalists theories that he is not fit nor fast etc.
All in all, those who know much about the whole situation stay calm and support RK, but many think he twice lost a seat due to politics and money (and they aren't that wrong, are they?) so they are angry.
Depends who you ask of course. There's also reason to believe he was simply outperformed by Sirotkin in the AD test, specifically over 1 lap pace on the new tyre compound going by the reports, so they could very well be wrong.

But at least Williams are giving him another chance either way so any ill feeling towards them is misplaced imo. He's back in F1 in a full time role for 2018,something that was unthinkable a year or two ago, thanks to them. They could have just said thanks but no thanks and left it after AD test but here he is with an opportunity to show Williams what they're missing.

netoperek
netoperek

McHonda wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 19:13
Greg_OR wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Depends who you ask of course. There's also reason to believe he was simply outperformed by Sirotkin in the AD test, specifically over 1 lap pace on the new tyre compound going by the reports, so they could very well be wrong.

But at least Williams are giving him another chance either way so any ill feeling towards them is misplaced imo. He's back in F1 in a full time role for 2018,something that was unthinkable a year or two ago, thanks to them. They could have just said thanks but no thanks and left it after AD test but here he is with an opportunity to show Williams what they're missing.
Sirotkin had his best time at AD on Softs. Kubica's lack of pace is based on his 2018 hypersofts (which were overheated on his only flier without traffic). Sirotkin has not shown his real pace on softer compounds because he had no chance to test it. Kubica's only outings on softs were on high fuel race trim tests, which by comparisons were probably faster than Massa's race pace. Term outperformed is based on calculations and assumptions only because SS and RK have not tested same compounds/settings/fuel loads hence only Williams can have an educated guess on their pace. I'm not bashing SS, they simply had to execute different plans (it was Pirelli test after all).
It's very unlikely Williams would say thanks but no thanks, as with such unexperienced lineup (and with all due respect, SS and LS don't strike me as an Alonso/Hamilton caliber talents), they needed someone reliable in development (Robert was famous for his very high skills in this department and did such work even after his rally crash) with experience. Sirotkin is supposedly quite good at it, too (according to Renault) but lacks experience.
With their decision, they simply needed him badly, as there were not so many better alternatives around.
Even though I'm Kubica's fan and hoped for different outcome, I really wish SS good luck and hope he does a good job, for Williams's sake.
I suppose Robert will get plenty of running time (some sources suggest at very least 8 FP). That gives him some chance to show his potential. If Williams will grant him an opportunity to drive Q3 sims at some point of course.
It can give some hope to Kubica's supporters, as last time he had a reserve driver role, he kicked out Jacques Villeneuve on merit to take his place (JV still occasionally gives some bitter remarks on Kubica). /trivia mode on/ Certain Sebastian Vettel claimed his former role, but having no real prospects on advancing to first team action, left to Torro Rosso, despite doing really decent job with 8th in GP USA 2007 (qualifying only 0.7s behind Heidfeld) ,after Kubica tested how peak 75g, 28g average crash feels like in Canada.
If SS turns out to be a good driver he will stay in F1 even if Kubica will shake off rust eventually and match or outpace him. Both of them will get their seat in such case sooner or later. I guess if it were other way round (with Kubica in race seat and SS reserve), it would be harder for SS to showcase his skills, as he would probably have much less time and attention.

McHonda
McHonda

netoperek wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 22:16
McHonda wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 19:13
Greg_OR wrote:

Sirotkin had his best time at AD on Softs. Kubica's lack of pace is based on his 2018 hypersofts (which were overheated on his only flier without traffic). Sirotkin has not shown his real pace on softer compounds because he had no chance to test it. Kubica's only outings on softs were on high fuel race trim tests, which by comparisons were probably faster than Massa's race pace. Term outperformed is based on calculations and assumptions only because SS and RK have not tested same compounds/settings/fuel loads hence only Williams can have an educated guess on their pace. I'm not bashing SS, they simply had to execute different plans (it was Pirelli test after all).
It's very unlikely Williams would say thanks but no thanks, as with such unexperienced lineup (and with all due respect, SS and LS don't strike me as an Alonso/Hamilton caliber talents), they needed someone reliable in development (Robert was famous for his very high skills in this department and did such work even after his rally crash) with experience. Sirotkin is supposedly quite good at it, too (according to Renault) but lacks experience.
With their decision, they simply needed him badly, as there were not so many better alternatives around.
Even though I'm Kubica's fan and hoped for different outcome, I really wish SS good luck and hope he does a good job, for Williams's sake.
I suppose Robert will get plenty of running time (some sources suggest at very least 8 FP). That gives him some chance to show his potential. If Williams will grant him an opportunity to drive Q3 sims at some point of course.
It can give some hope to Kubica's supporters, as last time he had a reserve driver role, he kicked out Jacques Villeneuve on merit to take his place (JV still occasionally gives some bitter remarks on Kubica). /trivia mode on/ Certain Sebastian Vettel claimed his former role, but having no real prospects on advancing to first team action, left to Torro Rosso, despite doing really decent job with 8th in GP USA 2007 (qualifying only 0.7s behind Heidfeld) ,after Kubica tested how peak 75g, 28g average crash feels like in Canada.
If SS turns out to be a good driver he will stay in F1 even if Kubica will shake off rust eventually and match or outpace him. Both of them will get their seat in such case sooner or later. I guess if it were other way round (with Kubica in race seat and SS reserve), it would be harder for SS to showcase his skills, as he would probably have much less time and attention.
I'm aware they were on different plans yeah, just pointing out the reports about the results in response to the bolded. By the same measure Kubica was probably faster than Massa, Sirotkin was probably faster than both (With RK set up changes). Both sound a bit fanciful to me and I think that stems from the unknown about the softer tyres but I respect Hughes's opinion and he's got good sources.

But I don't think Williams were desperate or needed Kubica badly for the 3rd role, they could have retained Di Resta if they wanted an experienced hand and Hughes said they'd budgeted for 8 FP's being sold to Latifi(?) in the comments section although he put the ? there so I think who was getting them was still unclear. But now they've given them to Robert instead and for no money apparently so I think they genuinely want him there and are bending over backwards to give him the most time to get used to these F1 cars and the 2018 tyres.

The ideal scenario for Williams imo is a Kubica anywhere near his best and they've given him more opportunities than anyone else is offering, which is why I find the Williams criticism online completely unwarranted to be honest.

I think some people just bought into too many unfounded rumors from social media as usual these days and assumed the seat was his before that test instead of waiting for Williams to confirm and now after some red faces the anger is being directed at the very team who have brought him back to the Sport and with a genuine chance of getting back on the grid which just doesn't sit right with me at all.

But hopefully it can work out well for everyone anyway.

FrukostScones

Appraently Kubica in Williams Form Singapore on. Oficial.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

That means Stroll will be @ Racing Point Force India for sure
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

nevill3

edit... the video I posted here has been removed, it showed an "Off camera" comment caught whilst the cameraman was still filming and probably not for broadcast by Channel four presenters about hearing that Stroll would be driving for his Dads new team from Singapore, leaving the door open for KUbica to return in his place.
oops :oops:
Last edited by nevill3 on 25 Aug 2018, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

roon
roon

nevill3 wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 22:58
I don't understand.

zgred

roon wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 00:47
nevill3 wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 22:58
I don't understand.
Looks like between the scenes and apparently, that wasn't supposed to be public - according to Polish press - not very reliable source although.

wogx

Kubica returns to the game? There are rumors that PKN Orlen will sponsor Williams next season (10 million $). Everything started yesterday, after the Acronis conference in Warsaw, in the evening Kubica met with the prime minister Mateusz Morawiecki and the president of PKN Orlen Daniel Obajtek.

https://www.przegladsportowy.pl/motospo ... aign=sport

Robert Kubica is getting closer to returning to Formula One driver's seat. On Monday the Pole met with Orlen representatives who will probably invest in the Williams team.
The Grove team has already announced that one of their drivers will be talented George Russell, who enjoys Mercedes support. The second seat is free. Media speculate that Williams isn't interested in employment, neither Sergei Sirotkin, nor Artiom Markielow and do not rule out that they will reach for Kubica. However, they need to close the budget. It is unofficially said that they are missing 40 million PLN (10 milion $) and that Orlen will fill the gap. In return, the team's driver would be Kubica, and the logo of the Polish company would appear on the car.

https://twitter.com/DanielObajtek/statu ... 5707029504
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Vasconia

wogx wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 12:22
Kubica returns to the game? There are rumors that PKN Orlen will sponsor Williams next season (10 million $). Everything started yesterday, after the Acronis conference in Warsaw, in the evening Kubica met with the prime minister Mateusz Morawiecki and the president of PKN Orlen Daniel Obajtek.

https://www.przegladsportowy.pl/motospo ... aign=sport

Robert Kubica is getting closer to returning to Formula One driver's seat. On Monday the Pole met with Orlen representatives who will probably invest in the Williams team.
The Grove team has already announced that one of their drivers will be talented George Russell, who enjoys Mercedes support. The second seat is free. Media speculate that Williams isn't interested in employment, neither Sergei Sirotkin, nor Artiom Markielow and do not rule out that they will reach for Kubica. However, they need to close the budget. It is unofficially said that they are missing 40 million PLN (10 milion $) and that Orlen will fill the gap. In return, the team's driver would be Kubica, and the logo of the Polish company would appear on the car.

https://twitter.com/DanielObajtek/statu ... 5707029504
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo90X2ylVsS ... _copy_link
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh that would be awesome!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

kptaylor
kptaylor

Yes!!