TV Coverage - Do the cars appear faster in Japan?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mborsik

TV Coverage - Do the cars appear faster in Japan?

Hi,

I've noticed it this morning, but maybe it's just me: For whatever reason, the cars appear noticeably faster here in a Japan, I never had this feel of speed since the beginning of the turbo era. Even in Baku on the long straight with 360+ km/h, it didn't appear as fast as here in Suzuka (around R130 for example), for some reason.

Did anyone else have the same feeling? I'm just wondering if there might be a difference. One thing I've noticed, the cuts from one camera to the next seem to be more frequent, i.e there aren't as many views from one point with mega zoom-in/zoom-out and huge pans.

Your thoughts?

Facts Only

Re: TV Coverage - Do the cars appear faster in Japan?

Closer cameras and a narrower track I assume, the cars always look awesome round suzuka
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

zac510

I've had this same feeling in previous years when Monaco comes around, but I noticed it on the onboards only. I agree with FO, I think it's the narrower track and closer barriers that give you something to compare the speed to (relatively).

RicME85

They have been using the old skool camera that's just over the shoulder a lot more this season, gives a much better sense if speed than the T-cam

ME4ME

RicME85 wrote:They have been using the old skool camera that's just over the shoulder a lot more this season, gives a much better sense if speed than the T-cam
I disagree.

The sense of speed might come from the huge corner entry speed that the cars carry into turn1 and 130R. On most circuits, the straights leads into a tight hairpin, making the cars brake straight and then turn in at low speed.

RicME85

Really? That camera view has looked faster at every circuit this year.
Remember the iconic video of Senna blasting around Monaco from just over his shoulder, the camera is bouncing around and the scenery is flying by...IMO the use of a similar camera position has had the same effect this year.

ChrisDanger

Apparently in Monaco and Suzuka coverage is provided by a local outfit. In Suzuka it's Fuji TV, although this may have changed now. But if true it might account for these differences.

Nathanael F1

I hate the old style onboard cam. In my opinion the T-cam is much better (you can see more of the steering wheel and driver inputs). If they really want to improve the sense of speed, they should have more non-panning cameras around the track.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

zac510

The old style camera has very little peripheral vision that's why it has a tunnel-like vision of speed. That camera will be gone when they introduce the halo thing anyway.

proteus

Removal of onboard cameras will be the next nail in the coffin of the F1...
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

zac510

Must be a few thousand nails in that coffin by now (but F1 is still not dead).

Edax

zac510 wrote:I've had this same feeling in previous years when Monaco comes around, but I noticed it on the onboards only. I agree with FO, I think it's the narrower track and closer barriers that give you something to compare the speed to (relatively).
Think it also has to do with the smoothness of the track. The sense of speed becomes a lot more apparent when you see the suspension working, the helmet bobbing, and the driver correcting.

This in contrast to Baku where the car floats down the main straight while the driver is filling out his tax forms, sorting out fanmail and making some snapchats.

Suzuka still seems relatively bumpy.

zac510

I walked most of Suzuka today and it seemed pretty smooth, but the gradients are definitely much larger/steeper than it looks like on TV.
I guess it's a number of factors and they all come together at Monaco and Suzuka.

Edax

Perhaps they shouldn't filter out the wind noise as much. I always found this video impressive because of it.

Fifty

I think it's a combination of better cameras (watch bull riding on espn, stated to have the best cameras in any us televised sport), as well as the landscape
Type and proximity to cars/track.

These are my personal opinions only btw.