F1 - Brawn signs deal to replace Ecclestone

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GitanesBlondes

Re: F1 - Brawn signs deal to replace Ecclestone

FW17 wrote:What baseless?

Benetton- Teammates of MS mysteriously slow
Ferrari - No 1 for MS
Brawn GP - No 1 for JB
Merc - No 1 for LH

Where else did he work?

Toto Wolff will say one thing in the media, few years later we will find exactly what he said to the people that matter.

Hope Ferrari uses there Veto on this dangerous move.
When Michael went to Benetton for the remainder of the 1991 season, Nelson drove well against him. But you have to remember that Nelson by 1990, and most certainly in 1991 had motivational problems with driving, hence Flavor Flav's points-for-cash motivational scheme with Nelson. Actually, Nelson admitted his motivation flagged after the crash he had at Imola in '87 where he said he made all of his successive decisions based purely on financial motivation. That being said, he outscored Schumacher 6 to 4 in points over the five races they were teammates for at the end of '91. Brundle did well. Patrese was a mistake of a signing for 1993. 1994 was an illegal car anyway, so who cares. Johnny Herbert found himself unprepared in 1995, and found that the Benetton-Renault was an extremely difficult car to drive, but Schumacher made it work. Was very light in the rear from what I remember. Yes Herbert won in it, but he's still continued to whine about the '95 season years after the fact. Eddie Irvine was signed to be Schumacher's number two and had zero problems with it, finding it to be more preferable to get paid. Barrichello knew what he was getting in for, and has no excuses. At the end of the day, Rubens could never deliver on the promise he showed early in his career, and has no one to blame but himself.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

ME4ME

FW17 wrote:What baseless?

Benetton- Teammates of MS mysteriously slow
Ferrari - No 1 for MS
Brawn GP - No 1 for JB
Merc - No 1 for LH

Where else did he work?

Toto Wolff will say one thing in the media, few years later we will find exactly what he said to the people that matter.

Hope Ferrari uses there Veto on this dangerous move.
My comment was regarding the teams. His affiliation with Ferrari has long ended.

Andres125sx

FW17 wrote:During his time in a team he was known to make sure his favored driver finished ahead in all circumstances

Now with FOM he will be involved in getting his favored team ahead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyHUygPQ38E
Durign his time in a team he was paid to win titles, and like it or not having a #1 driver maximizes that possibility, as you can easily see when you realize he was WDC and WCC with all those teams you mention

With FOM he´s not paid to win titles so favouring anyone would be absurd, can you see the difference?

Sorry but I hate it when people put someone´s profesionality in doubt with no reason. What you critizice about him is exactly what he was supposed to do. Ross Brawn may not be perfect, but he´s a good profesional, period.

PlatinumZealot

@ Topic. There is one of us at the helm now. This can only be good news.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FW17

Andres125sx wrote:
FW17 wrote:During his time in a team he was known to make sure his favored driver finished ahead in all circumstances

Durign his time in a team he was paid to win titles, and like it or not having a #1 driver maximizes that possibility, as you can easily see when you realize he was WDC and WCC with all those teams you mention

With FOM he´s not paid to win titles so favouring anyone would be absurd, can you see the difference?

Sorry but I hate it when people put someone´s profesionality in doubt with no reason. What you critizice about him is exactly what he was supposed to do. Ross Brawn may not be perfect, but he´s a good profesional, period.

This is still a sport and when you take that out it becomes questionable

F1 is a sport and a business a balance of both is needed, with Brawn it is only one.

The sport will suffer under him as he will only see it to improve it in one way. Just as Bernie felt MS and Ferrari winning was not a bad thing Brawn is going to engineer the sport to directions that it would not have taken.

Under Brawn innovations will be banned in a cut-throat manner to either benefit a preferred team or to maintain status quo. Under Brawn innovations such as exhaust blowing or double diffuser (ironically which he engineered the loophole) would have immediately banned.

Andres125sx

FW17 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

This is still a sport
A team sport :wink:
FW17 wrote:F1 is a sport and a business a balance of both is needed, with Brawn it is only one.

[...]

The sport will suffer under him as he will only see it to improve it in one way.

[...]

Under Brawn innovations will be banned in a cut-throat manner to either benefit a preferred team or to maintain status quo.
Did you talk with him and he told you he´ll benefit some specific team?

Or it was your crystal ball?

I can´t understand the reason you assume he´ll be biased....

nevill3

I thought Ross Brawn has stated his desire to see F1 return to its popularity levels of the past. His aims are to introduce a three or five year coherent plan to achieve whatever goals he either agrees or decides on. F1 at the moment is too reactionary with ill conceived plans instigated at the drop of the hat to artificially influence the perceived entertainment value. Often unsuccessful and open to ridicule.
If Ross Brawn can reach agreement with the teams on how the future of F1 should look and also consult other interested parties (possibly the fans too) then instigate a plan we could see the improvement we all wish for.

I wish him luck if he has signed a contract, he has the sports best interest at heart I think and without the concentrated biased pressure to succeed for an individual team he should be able to see the whole picture and plan accordingly.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

SR71

FW17 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

This is still a sport and when you take that out it becomes questionable

F1 is a sport and a business a balance of both is needed, with Brawn it is only one.

The sport will suffer under him as he will only see it to improve it in one way. Just as Bernie felt MS and Ferrari winning was not a bad thing Brawn is going to engineer the sport to directions that it would not have taken.

Under Brawn innovations will be banned in a cut-throat manner to either benefit a preferred team or to maintain status quo. Under Brawn innovations such as exhaust blowing or double diffuser (ironically which he engineered the loophole) would have immediately banned.
Bernie, is that you?

zac510

nevill3 wrote:I thought Ross Brawn has stated his desire to see F1 return to its popularity levels of the past. His aims are to introduce a three or five year coherent plan to achieve whatever goals he either agrees or decides on. F1 at the moment is too reactionary with ill conceived plans instigated at the drop of the hat to artificially influence the perceived entertainment value. Often unsuccessful and open to ridicule.
If Ross Brawn can reach agreement with the teams on how the future of F1 should look and also consult other interested parties (possibly the fans too) then instigate a plan we could see the improvement we all wish for.

I wish him luck if he has signed a contract, he has the sports best interest at heart I think and without the concentrated biased pressure to succeed for an individual team he should be able to see the whole picture and plan accordingly.
I read that interview the other week too and I thought it was very interesting. He's not going to be in the slightest bit interested in slapping 10 second penalties onto drivers to manipulate race results. He's going to be adjusting diffusers, wing sizes and other subtleties to improve the quality of the racing with a view of a couple of seasons in advance. He can't be accused of bias if the teams have had seasons to prepare for technical and sporting regulation changes.
And for that reason I feel that FW17's fears are unfounded.

edit:typo
Last edited by zac510 on 02 Nov 2016, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisDanger

zac510 wrote:He's not going to be in the slightest but interested in slapping 10 second penalties onto drivers to manipulate race results.
Wait, who does this now? Even if he wanted to there would be no mechanism for him to do this. The stewards usually work under the umbrella of the FIA, who themselves are not in anyone's pocket, and can't influence the decisions of the stewards anyway. The stewards are necessarily as impartial as possible (although this system is perhaps guilty of inconsistency at worse due to the stewards changing for every race). Any accusation of penalties being given in order to influence race results falls squarely under the category of conspiracy theories, being completely unfounded. Perhaps that's not what you were suggesting though?

zac510

ChrisDanger wrote:Perhaps that's not what you were suggesting though?
No I wasn't suggesting nor do I think that he would do that at all (but thanks for the thorough post!)
I made my comment in response to others in the thread who do seem to think he'll be biased.

Vasconia

Perhaps I am wrong but Brawn was going to focuse himself only on technical aspects. No intentions of becoming the new "big boss".

ChrisDanger

zac510 wrote:but thanks for the thorough post!
I'm busy reading Max Mosley's autobiography and realised that the majority of things the FIA are accused of simply cannot be true given the way things have been structured to prevent exactly the kind of influence they are accused of having.

But Mosley was a driver, constructor, took a political role fighting for the teams against the FIA, then gained presidency of the FIA, and excelled in each role. Well, except perhaps as that of driver, although that's hardly relevant given my point that I would expect Brawn to be able to do as much good in his new role as he did in his previous ones, even though the focus is quite different. Being on the other side is often an advantage, as it was for Mosley when he made changes to address weaknesses in the FIA that he'd previously tried to exploit. I'm sure Brawn's cunning interpretation of technical regulations will be an asset to devising clear new ones. And overall his obviously high intellect and familiarity with the sport make him an ideal candidate. It's unfortunate that some people cannot see past an obvious bias, but fans do tend to be a bit, well, fanatical.

PlatinumZealot

Vasconia wrote:Perhaps I am wrong but Brawn was going to focuse himself only on technical aspects. No intentions of becoming the new "big boss".
You are right. Brawn will be the sporting boss while Bernie stick to his peddling.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏