The 2016 F1 WDC Title Dumpster Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TAG

Re: The 2016 F1 WDC Title Dumpster Topic

Personally I'd love it if Rosberg's engine blew up 3 laps before the end of the race; actually I hope he's actually leading the race and then just three laps to go, Kablammo! I'd love to see his hopes and dreams dashed knowing that all the strings pulled weren't enough to sway the results his way.

It will be Hamilton's most deserved victory ever and sales of Preparation H will skyrocket among a certain Interwebz demographic.

But who are we kidding, it's going to be yet another Merc 1-2 with the rest of the team thankful that the slaughter is over and next year they'll have to come up with an entire slew of new reasons to complain about why they hate the new regulations because they're not winning.

And they all lived happily ever after, welcome to the circus Liberty Media. Happy Thankgiving to all, and to all a good night.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

markc

I think Nico will be as deserved a champion as Jenson - JB made the most of the advantage his car had over the rest of the field while he still had it; and then when it didn't have the advantage, he did enough to remain in the lead of the championship on the last lap of the last race.

Lewis should have finished higher up on the races where he could - ignoring those with clear issues that disadvantaged him: Blown engines and strange software glitches in various engine modes.

Personally I'd like to see Nico have an issue that puts him dead last with just enough laps left to get 3rd if he produces Schumacher-esque qualy laps and Mansel-esque overtakes. Then I think that he'd be seen more favourably.

To finish first; first you have to finish...
Never truer.

Vasconia

People complain a lot about Hamilton´s realiabilty problems but for me the main reason to loose the championship have been his bad starts. A lot of points went nowhere because of this.

As Raikkonen has said, the one who wins the WC always deserves it, F1 is also about realiabily and some sort of luck. It seems that we have forgotten it. Dramatics events like a blown-up when someone is leading are part of the essence of the F1. It obviously sucks when it happens to your favourite driver, but we have to face it. For me was hard to see Michael´s engine blowing up in 2006, but as he said with a lot of common sense, "we lost the champoionship with due to the lack of performance in certain races and mistakes no because Japan 2006".

djos

Vasconia wrote:People complain a lot about Hamilton´s realiabilty problems but for me the main reason to loose the championship have been his bad starts. A lot of points went nowhere because of this.

As Raikkonen has said, the one who wins the WC always deserves it, F1 is also about realiabily and some sort of luck. It seems that we have forgotten it. Dramatics events like a blown-up when someone is leading are part of the essence of the F1. It obviously sucks when it happens to your favourite driver, but we have to face it. For me was hard to see Michael´s engine blowing up in 2006, but as he said with a lot of common sense, "we lost the champoionship with due to the lack of performance in certain races and mistakes no because Japan 2006".
There's always an exception that proves the rule, if Rosberg wins the wdc this year it'll be him.
"In downforce we trust"

Vasconia

djos wrote:
There's always an exception that proves the rule, if Rosberg wins the wdc this year it'll be him.
You are free to have this opinion. Nevertheless, I will give my reasons:

1. Nico´s peformance has been very good through the season.

2. He won some races on merit and he took advantage of others mistakes and back luck when there was a chance for it. To compete is also about doing this.

3. He has resisted the pressure of being beaten two years in a row(not easy, ask Webber), the commonly accepted idea that Lewis is better than him, and the pressure of the media, fans of Lewis and even Ecclestone("it would be better if Lewis wins). Its not easy mentally to face all those things.

4. Fangio once said that the first thing to win is to end the race. Nico is not as good/spectacular/fast as Lewis but he surely know how to take care of his and pragmatic in order to achieve this goal.

Sure, I am loosing time because certain people wont never give Nico even the slightest credit for what he does but at least someone should say something good about him.

The funny thing is that I prefer drivers like Hamilton, Vettel, Perez or Verstappen but drivers like Nico add to the F1 an interesting balance between fury and pragmatism. The best is your rival, the best will be your victories and defeats.

Edited: to be fair with oder uses opinion and based on that I dont really know what you think about Nico.
Last edited by Vasconia on 25 Nov 2016, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

sosic2121

Lots of people here forget what F1 is. It's not a simulator, although it's going in that direction.
Cars have never been more reliable, tracks have never been safer and "wider".

But even so, being quick is still not enough, and this year Nico has obviously done more(at least so far).

IMO Lewis is quicker than Nico, especially during qualifying.
But I noticed a long time ago that Nico paced himself better than Lewis. I believe he doesn't do 100% lap in Q2.

I expect Nico to finish 2nd, and not take any unnecessary risk.

turbof1

Vasconia wrote:
djos wrote:
You are free to have this opinion. I would ask why but I guess your opinion is based on an unfathomable hate to Nico. Nevertheless, I will give my reasons:

2. He won some races on merit and he took advantage of others mistakes and back luck when there was a chance for it. To compete is also about doing this.

3. He has resisted the pressure of being beaten two years in a row(not easy, ask Webber), the commonly accepted idea that Lewis is better than him, and the pressure of the media, fans of Lewis and even Ecclestone("it would be better if Lewis wins). Its not easy mentally to face all those things.

4. Fangio once said that the first thing to win is to end the race. Nico is not as good/spectacular/fast as Lewis but he surely know how to take care of his and pragmatic in order to achieve this goal.

Sure, I am loosing time because certain people wont never give Nico even the slightest credit for what he does but at least someone should say something good about him.

The funny thing is that I prefer drivers like Hamilton, Vettel, Perez or Verstappen but drivers like Nico add to the F1 an interesting balance between fury and pragmatism. The best is your rival, the best will be your victories and defeats.
I don't think it is wise to pre-emptively accuse someone of hate. I agree with quite a few points of your post (not all), but you also have to respect others their opinion. It's not a "if you are not with me, you are against me" situation.

That said, I do believe Nico is "a deserving" champion. And Hamilton did made mistakes which will now prove crucial, not withstanding he actually had bad luck. Ultimately, the saying of "someone's death is his neighbour's bread" has been around in F1 forever.
#AeroFrodo

Vasconia

turbof1 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
djos wrote:
You are free to have this opinion. I would ask why . Nevertheless, I will give my reasons:

I don't think it is wise to pre-emptively accuse someone of hate. I agree with quite a few points of your post (not all), but you also have to respect others their opinion. It's not a "if you are not with me, you are against me" situation.

That said, I do believe Nico is "a deserving" champion. And Hamilton did made mistakes which will now prove crucial, not withstanding he actually had bad luck. Ultimately, the saying of "someone's death is his neighbour's bread" has been around in F1 forever.
True, you are right as usual Turbo. I will remove my comment because I dont dont know what he really thinks. Though some comments made on this forem prove me that some users hate/despy Nico .

djos

Thanks turbo, you are correct, there's no hate, mostly ambivalence actually, he's consistent and a good driver, just not a great driver imo.

As much as I think Hamilton is a bit of a knob, he's unquestionably a great driver.
"In downforce we trust"

Vasconia

djos wrote:Thanks turbo, you are correct, there's no hate, mostly ambivalence actually, he's consistent and a good driver, just not a great driver imo.

As much as I think Hamilton is a bit of a knob, he's unquestionably a great driver.
I have edited my own post because its true that I was being unfar with you mate. I have seen some many negatives(or simply fullf of hate and despy) comments about Nico that I prejudged you, sorry for that.

turbof1

Oh wow, that got diffused so quickly. Good for you guys.

I'm overall actually very suprised about the level in this topic. I guess if you put alot of daylight on something, everybody shows his best behaviour.
#AeroFrodo

AMG.Tzan

What people can't understand about the "bad luck" thing of Lewis Hamilton is that we are talking about the same car within a team! Had it been a fight between different cars and one of them broke down (like Raikkonen in 2005 with Mclaren) there would have been nothing to say here! The thing is being in the same team, with the same car and only one braking down 3 times, that has to be a huge setback for one driver and that's what's called bad luck! Now deserving or undeserving champion...books forever will write who won it...not how he won it! For example no one remembers that Nigel Mansell lost the 1986 and 1987 championships (watched those two season reviews lately)through unreliability and a blown tire while being much faster than Prost and Piquet...the only thing you see is Prost 1986 WDC and Piquet 1987 WDC!
Now in my opinion i see it as the 2016 championship not being straightforward like 2014-2015 where both of them had issues, especially 2014! Also a blown engine in the final race for Nico won't make matters better for Hamilton since everyone then will see it as Hamilton won it only because Rosberg's engine blew! A 4th place in Brazil for Nico would have been the greatest finale...no mechanical problems...winner takes everything!! =D>
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

TAG

Vasconia wrote:You are free to have this opinion. Nevertheless, I will give my reasons:

It's so easy to get away with that as an explantion when youre talking to a layman, but in a world where people have access to statistics and facts, this one is as easy to call BS on as Trump's wall.

So Nico has had 2 bad starts to Lewis' 4. It's easy to forget because well, when people are trying to overlook things, this is the first one they overlook. Refer to the above chart and spend a few minutes reviewing it.
Vasconia wrote:2. He won some races on merit and he took advantage of others mistakes and back luck when there was a chance for it. To compete is also about doing this.
So this one is pretty funny because how exactly does one take advantage of others bad luck? It's someone someone would say when they wanted you to overlook the fact that in the above chart only one guy has those little blue diamonds that mean mechanical failure. It doesn't even show where in Baku, Lewis' engine mapping cost him the ability to come up to 2, instead relegating him to 5th. But wait, didn't Rosberg have a race where he had a mechanical issue and the team actually went ahead and told him how to fix it? And issue that would have in Mercedes' own words, caused a DNF? I guess that's what you mean by Rosberg taking advantage of Lewis' mistakes and bad luck because the points difference there would have been very welcomed this weekend.
Vasconia wrote:3. He has resisted the pressure of being beaten two years in a row(not easy, ask Webber), the commonly accepted idea that Lewis is better than him, and the pressure of the media, fans of Lewis and even Ecclestone("it would be better if Lewis wins). Its not easy mentally to face all those things.
Actually 3 years, but facts don't seem to matter to someone hell bent on "proving" a supposition that comes with a tin foil sombrero.
Vasconia wrote:4. Fangio once said that the first thing to win is to end the race. Nico is not as good/spectacular/fast as Lewis but he surely know how to take care of his and pragmatic in order to achieve this goal.
So said the guy who was given a teammates car when his car broke down. But again, your supposition is that Nico takes better care of his equipment than Hamilton, apparently Hamilton can find fault in Mercedes PU that designers and engineers are unable to. They should give Hamilton a job back at the factory he's so good at that. I await one source from Mercedes that you can quote that stated what you're pulling out of your diffuser to come up with this one.
Vasconia wrote:Sure, I am loosing time because certain people wont never give Nico even the slightest credit for what he does but at least someone should say something good about him.
What do you mean people won't ever give Nico the slightest credit? Nico would likely be a 2 time WDC if he had someone of lesser talent than Hamilton as his teammate. How much more credit than that does he need? He's been given the chances of a career to win with the car Mercedes put under him. Nico is one of the most solid, consistent 2nd tier drivers in the sport his only weakness is that he's not the best in the wet as we've seen this year. Did you catch the bit during the start in Brazil when he actually asked his engineer how Lewis had set up his brake bias for the rain? [/quote]

If Nico wins this year, I don't begrudge it, it's part of the sport, you can't win them all. What I do take issue with is the "hatershere" that watch each weekend to seemingly scrutinize what Hamilton does or did not. It's not hard to miss who's a card carrying member of that club. Especially when they tie themselves up in knots to explain away how it's Nico's skill and better car management that's going to win him this championship, and not his freakishly dumb luck that's kept his side of the garage free of little blue diamonds.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

turbof1

TAG, easy on the personal comments. Disagreeing is fine, but it's not to call someone else his comments "BS", or " "proving" a supposition that comes with a tin foil sombrero". Especially the latter as that can be counted as mocking someone's culture.

I also feel you are confusing criticism towards Hamilton as being a fan of Rosberg. There is nothing wrong with both aknowledging Rosberg had good fortune yet also stating Hamilton let it slip at a few moments. The truth in most cases is not one single point of view, but a multi-dimensional reality.

Personally, I am looking at that graph and can stop wondering "actually, they both did very well". Put that in context with previous era's, for instance 2010. How many failures, errors and penalties that generated back then.
#AeroFrodo

TAG

turbof1 wrote:TAG, easy on the personal comments. Disagreeing is fine, but it's not to call someone else his comments "BS", or " "proving" a supposition that comes with a tin foil sombrero". Especially the latter as that can be counted as mocking someone's culture.
Give us a little bit of slack, I thought that was pretty cheeky wordsmithing on my part. This is the thread where we're allowed to take the gloves off somewhat. It's why it was separated from the main thread. I know where the line is, and I promise never to 1) escalate it and 2) cross it.

It's fun having a little toe to toe every now and then. I would never behave in such a manner outside of the playground; Promise. Thank you for the notice though, maybe it will help to kind of set the expectation for the rest of what's to come in this thread over the next few months. :D

I did keep things factual in my counterpoint though right?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत