450 kph F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bdr529

Re: 450 kph F1

Pierce89 wrote:
toraabe wrote:450 Km/h bring them to talladega ...
You know, as someone who lives quite close to Talladega I find that interesting, especially since 'Dega has a roval combining the road course and oval. That would be the sort of spectical.that gets worldwide attention.
Talladega was good enough for Porsche and Penske to set the closed course record back then
August 9, 1975 Donohue in a Porsche 917/30 went 221 mph

bhall II

Pierce89 wrote:You know, as someone who lives quite close to Talladega I find that interesting, especially since 'Dega has a roval combining the road course and oval. That would be the sort of spectical.that gets worldwide attention.
As someone who's visited Alabama, I'm still surprised you're literate. :lol:

Pierce89

bhall II wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:You know, as someone who lives quite close to Talladega I find that interesting, especially since 'Dega has a roval combining the road course and oval. That would be the sort of spectical.that gets worldwide attention.
As someone who's visited Alabama, I'm still surprised you're literate. :lol:
Somebody around here had to learn to read, otherwise all the rednecks would put diesel in their gasoline trucks and vice versa. :D
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

strad

Gaz. wrote:
strad wrote:yes they were
Point it out in the regulations then.
It wasn't in the regs but rather is what the FOM asked for.
If they asked for tires that would last the whole race or even two, Pirelli could just as easily do that.
It kinda relates back to the "Be careful what you ask for,, You just might get it."
They wanted tires that degraded quickly and required more pit stops. They got them.
All the tire manufacturers have always designated what they thought the pressures should be and it was the teams that pushed too far.... not uncommon with them.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Tim.Wright

There's a massive difference between a compound that degrades (which was asked for) and a carcass that fails under normal use (which no-one asked for but we got it anyway).
Not the engineer at Force India

zac510

Tyre carcasses failed even when we had single tyre manufacturers in the past ( just the first one that comes to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxDUgKcYaec ). Any part on an F1 car may fail at any time and we should accept that.
Silverstone 2013 was a bit ridiculous but since then it's been entirely reasonable failure rate.

J.A.W.

You'all don't be dissin' them good ol' boys too quickly now..

Bobby Isaac lapped the Hyde Dodge around Talladega at 200+ mph way back in 1970..
..& that was when a NASCAR 'stockcar'- really was based on a - showroom stock - car..

Hey, who's the hater who gave me the improper downvote?
Fess up now, boy...
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

strad

you can't figure out how to enforce track limit rules and now you want to regulate G forces?
Forces that vary greatly depending on factors out of the drivers control?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

Just open up the moveable aero gates and 450kph should be possible... maybe.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mertol

If they put G limiter I'm positive the teams will invent Alcubierre drive. Maybe that's the way to interstellar exploration :P

Pierce89

And that's proof that this thread is kaput.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Moose

Pierce89 wrote:And that's proof that this thread is kaput.
Nah, no one's mentioned Hitler yet. :mrgreen:

Greg Locock

If you work to the current engine power and frontal area, then the Cd needs to be around 0.27 to reach 450 kph. This implies a rather tidier aero shape than currently, and precludes any downforce at that speed.

Andres125sx

Greg Locock wrote:If you work to the current engine power and frontal area, then the Cd needs to be around 0.27 to reach 450 kph. This implies a rather tidier aero shape than currently, and precludes any downforce at that speed.
I think it´s obvious to reach 450kph active aero (to reduce drag as much as posible at the straight while producing DF at the corners) and more powerful PUs are a must

Anycase 450kph is just an arbitrary number, but to me it raises an interesting idea. Top speed has not been increased significantly in many years and today there are even production cars wich go faster (in top speed) than F1 cars, so maybe it´s time to think about some way to increase top speed in F1

santos

Andres125sx wrote:
Greg Locock wrote:If you work to the current engine power and frontal area, then the Cd needs to be around 0.27 to reach 450 kph. This implies a rather tidier aero shape than currently, and precludes any downforce at that speed.
I think it´s obvious to reach 450kph active aero (to reduce drag as much as posible at the straight while producing DF at the corners) and more powerful PUs are a must

Anycase 450kph is just an arbitrary number, but to me it raises an interesting idea. Top speed has not been increased significantly in many years and today there are even production cars wich go faster (in top speed) than F1 cars, so maybe it´s time to think about some way to increase top speed in F1
Do we really need that an F1 car go so much faster? And it's not just the cars that have to be modify. I don't think that the circuits are ready to get cars that can reach 450kph. I would rather like to get cars that can reach to top speed faster then the ones we have today.